Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it increases air flow, but by how much and what is the benifit, like in HP or gas mileage?

I have a Mach Audio ZTS with an SVT air intake, is it worth the $250 bucks to get a 65mm throttle body?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Not worth it right now. All you will notice is that you will have better throttle response.

I would invest in something else like an aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, an aftermarket exhaust. Any suggestions/costs?

Also would an underdrive pully be worth getting? I know in the summer my AC sucks the power from my engine really bad.

Now that I've got the looks of my car down I think I'll start on performance. I'm a noob at performance too.

I'm not looking for going really fast or racing, just running well and improving gas mileage. Helping the car breathe and exhale better.

Does any of that inprove mileage and performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
If you're on a "budget" then you might look into the Magnaflow or Pacesetter exhaust systems that are available for the Ford Focus.

I think those two are the cheapest ones out right now.

Other then that, I'd go and replace that intake with something else...you know...aftermarket.

Seems like you just want the basic stuff, so go for the basic bolt ons! A throttle body doesn't seem necessary for what seems to be your goal for performance mods. So just for the basic bolt ons...

Intake, header, and exhaust.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The UDP will help out your gas mileage as focusownerkid will attest to. Also most bolt ons will give you slight increases in gas mileage. If you want to get improved throttle response but don't want to spend that extra cash, look around the board on a how-to on porting the stock tb. It is really pretty simple if you just prep it right and you will most likely get the same results. Focushacks.com is trying to get a dyno test going to compare a bored stock tb to an aftermarket one.
Happy Tuning

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, as far as the aftermarket intakes, I'm not a big fan on the looks of them. I think they look dumb. I know they are good performance wise, but I like my car looking stock.

I know that seems weird. I'm not a "Hey look at my aftermarket stuff" kinda guy. That's why I went with the SVT intake. I want it too look stock.

A pulley, intake, and exhaust sound like a good idea because they are somewhat hidden from plain sight.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can switch to an Iceman CAI
They come in black, and will look exactly like stock!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Focuz 3:
Port your stock TB. It's cheap, and looks stock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How hard is it to do that? I read that horror story a few days ago when the guy tried to port his own TB with sand.

What would be involved? How would I do it? I'm no mechanic or machinest.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by xerofall:
Thanks, as far as the aftermarket intakes, I'm not a big fan on the looks of them. I think they look dumb. I know they are good performance wise, but I like my car looking stock.

I know that seems weird. I'm not a "Hey look at my aftermarket stuff" kinda guy. That's why I went with the SVT intake. I want it too look stock.

A pulley, intake, and exhaust sound like a good idea because they are somewhat hidden from plain sight.

Thanks for your help.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No one can see my AEM intake unless i lift the hood...if your not a showy guy what are you doing with your hood up anyway?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i just did my throttle body the other day. there are alot of good how to's on this site with pics. just do a search on porting the stock tb. its really easy to do and aside from the curing time of whatever epoxy you use it should only take about an hour, tops. i think my mileage went up about 20 miles per tank with a shortie intake and my ported tb. as far as not wanting to look like mr. mod boy, how often does anyone besides you look under your hood? so the only person that would have to know you even have an intake is you.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you want an aftermarket intake that looks stock go with the iceman, I have one and it works and sounds great

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by Jasonof2000:
If you want an aftermarket intake that looks stock go with the iceman, I have one and it works and sounds great
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">im a fan of mine although its forever coming loose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts