Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently my case is being processed with the DSB regarding my SVT Focus. In the event that i get a big fat check in a month and have to return my car (*crossing fingers*), it'll be time to get a new one. but there are just so many good choices out available today. so i've narrowed it down to two choices; A used WRX or a new VW GTI. i choose these two because they both look great, are turbo cars, have a bunch of mods available, and can be had for around $20k.

The problem is comprimise. i spend a LOT of time in my car, so i want to enjoy the interior/interface of the vehicle, but i want to have fun driving it.

I like the utility of the GTI. it's power is not bad, and the interior is unmatched in its class. it's got classic good looks, and there are thousands of mods available. plus, being new allows for more warranty time, and i make sure its been broken in right and not treated like crap.

the WRX has a crap interior (from what i hear; i havent been in one yet though i doubt it could be worse than the focus in terms of material quality and ergonomics) but it's sheer power, looks, and AWD are so tempting... and i could easily release a lot more power relatively cheaply. (vishnu stage 0 comes to mind). but being used, there's probably not much (if any) warranty time left, and who knows how the previous owner treated it? there are specific breakin rules for the wrx iirc.

have any of you here been in this delima? have you ridden in, or driven both? please give me some feedback, as i'm really torn on this one. of course i'll go test drive both before making a decision (it is my decision after all
), but i just want to hear some personal experiences first.

heh, sorry about the long post

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't know how crazy you are with mods, but WRX will be easier and cheaper to modify for turbo car, but I have also seen how sick GTI can be.

But, honestly I am not a turbo person. One of my old car was a faithful Mitsu Galant VR-4, a nice car but insurance was high.

Good Luck

=dRe=

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My roomate just got a used 2002 WRX, the interior in far from crap. I have no idea where that came from, but I've heard it too. We both just laughed about it on the test drive.

VW has worse reliability than Subaru, and costs more to fix also.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I love both of them, but where the GTI gets my vote is its a hatch, great interior and i like the exterior alittle bit more. If i had alittle more cash to throw around, id be talking about my 20th ann GTI

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
wrx!

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
The VW GTI is a nice vehicle with new a factory warranty,a strong aftermarket support plus you might get a great deal on one since VW is coming out with a completely new Golf platform I think in 2004.
The WRX is used so you are taking a chance by it being abused by the previous owner plus little or no warranty left.
Another car if it will fit in your budget would be the Mini Cooper base model or for a little more the S model which has gotten great reviews by the press and is very similiar to the driving dynamics of the SVTF.It carries a strong warranty and free maintenance through the warranty period.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
*cough*<font color="blue">R32</font>*cough*

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've driven both and they are two cars that I like a lot.

Even though I've never owned a used car, if I was decided between the two I would take the WRX. If you like to modify your cars, then the subbie will take you farther than the GTI, and right out of the box it's much more a driver's car. Yes the interior on the GTI is nicer than the WRX, but the WRX is not bad, the only thing I would do to the interior of the WRX is go with the carbon fiber trim (cover up that bad metalic plastic) and get new front seats, the subbie interior will stand up to abuse and is exteremly functional. The aftermarket parts are cheaper for the WRX too.

On the warranties, I believe VW has reverered back to a 4YR/50,000 bumper-to-bumper (wear and adjustments only in the first year and 12K miles) and got rid of the sad 2YR/24,000 all inclusive warranty. From my research, you'll be visiting the VW service department a lot more frequently than the subbie service department. And as I'm sure you are aware with the SVTF, even with a warranty, it's not fun having a car in the shop a lot. If warranties are that big of a concern to you, Subaru of America offers a lot of different options for extended warranties as long as the car is still under the original factory warranty they are pretty reasonable.

I was seriously considering buying a new WRX Wagon and just modifying it, instead I got the EVO. I love my car, but sometimes I think it might of been more fun building my own car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts