Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what\'s a good size for an intake?

i'm going to do my intake over and i'm wondering what's a good size for the piping
i think it's the bigger the better top end, the smaller the better low end right? but what's a good all around size?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Re: what\'s a good size for an intake?

3"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

cool, thats what i have right now.
it just seems like all the aftermarket intakes are smaller which made me think i was missing something.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by AphidAudio:
ya mines 3" as well. thats fine for short ram but not for cold air.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">why not? thats what i have (cai)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

bump

i want to know about the aem and injen piping. anyone?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

aem and injen r like 2.5...work like crap with aftermarket maf and get extremely hot increasing the intake charge...u want a good intake but the volant or ice-man

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i dont want a good intake. i have a good intake. im just trying to decide what i should change the piping to.

·
Registered
36 Posts

i just sent my tranny of to focus central to get the gears and the LSD put in. Nader told me that the born on date makes a difference if you can do the gear with out as many problems. if it made after a certan date its hard to do the gears. this is making me want my tranny back now instead of later

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

Originally posted by AvengerZX3:
i just sent my tranny of to focus central to get the gears and the LSD put in. Nader told me that the born on date makes a difference if you can do the gear with out as many problems. if it made after a certan date its hard to do the gears. this is making me want my tranny back now instead of later
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">whoa...wrong post?

304 Posts

ok this isnt exactly the best place for this question, but its drivin me crazy. what is a maf? it gets brought up every time intakes do, and i have no clue what it is. thx

·
Registered
321 Posts

It is the piece your TB is mounted on. It has the "vital" sensor that effects your A/F ratio...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

its right after your airbox (toward the throttle body). its a little piece in the pipe that has a flat part on top and will say "air flow" with an arrow pointing toward the engine. it measures a sample of incoming air and this is how your engine calculates the air/fuel ratio. without it connected, the car will run like ass. try disconnecting the wire harness connected to it and drive your car. i did that once on accident.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Originally posted by KicknZX3:
aem and injen r like 2.5...work like crap with aftermarket maf and get extremely hot increasing the intake charge...u want a good intake but the volant or ice-man
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What a great post
I'd say the AEM CAI is the best intake, but that's my opinion. My AEM gives me nice gains, and beat my friends volant on the dyno. As far as size of piping goes, i'd say stick with what the stock Mass air Flow Sensor is calibrated to.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I posted a similiar topic in Zetec tuning the other day. They told me 3" but I am making a cold air and want whats best for that. I was wondering my AEM made theirs 2.5" and not 3".

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Originally posted by TryToFocus:
I posted a similiar topic in Zetec tuning the other day. They told me 3" but I am making a cold air and want whats best for that. I was wondering my AEM made theirs 2.5" and not 3".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i have a custom cold air intake right now with 3" piping. it's the stock tubing until the after the maf then goes to a 3" pipe and goes down under around the the driver headlihgt is. i think it's sits the same place as the aem.
anyway, i kinda gets cluttered right there. i could send you a pic if you want.
but now i'm trying to do the whole intake over from the throttle body so i was asking what sizes came with what. i think now though i'm going to cut down the middle and go with 2.75" i guess. we'll see

·
Registered
32 Posts

That would be sweet.. Id love to see some pics.
Did you relocate the battery. I was thinking about moving it to the trunk. I thought it would make things alot easier. I was also thinking of getting the bigger maf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts