Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hacking The Box
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would yall recomend a Chip Or a Flasher.
SCT XCalibrator 2 (Flasher) or
SCT Performance Chip (Chip)
Please help New to this In a way

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
IMHO, its not a which is better than the other. Its more personal preference.

With a 4 position chip, you can have multiple programs at the flip of a switch.

With the flasher, you don't have to clean the card edge contacts to accept a chip.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I would prefer a flasher over a chip anyday.

I would rather have the tune in the computer and then when are ready to add some new mods, you don't have to roll 'tuneless' while your chip is reprogrammed.

- Drew

·
Registered
777 Posts
Flasher are IMO better because come emissions time, they can be manipulated to change your system to pass and keep whatever mods you have on...for the most part.

Also, the chip is like a piggyback, where you cant go through emmisions with that attached to the PCM...it will confuse the [censored] out of the diagnostic machine. A flasher reprograms the PCM settings..undetectable(at least so far).

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
I would prefer a flasher over a chip anyday.

I would rather have the tune in the computer and then when are ready to add some new mods, you don't have to roll 'tuneless' while your chip is reprogrammed.

- Drew
If you have to send a flasher back to have it reprogrammed you'll have to flash the stock program back on before you do to "unlock" it. At least with the SCT flasher anyway. I'm not sure on the Predator though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Actually, as I recall Eric (Penguini) was the first 'Jetter to pass PA emissions using an SCT chip to "fool" the OBD2 scanner. IIRC he didn't even have a cat installed at the time, and the inspection station didn't care as long as he passed the OBD2 scan.

The flasher is definitely more stealthy, but nobody's going to bother inspecting the PCM to see if it's chipped. Well, maybe in California.

Maybe you're thinking of PATS? I think if you have a dealer re-program your PATS with a chip installed, it will fry the PCM, but I'm not sure.

If you're going to want to switch tunes frequently (to run nitrous, for instance), get a chip. Otherwise, it's really a matter of preference, as Eric already said.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Flasher are IMO better because come emissions time, they can be manipulated to change your system to pass and keep whatever mods you have on...for the most part.

Also, the chip is like a piggyback, where you cant go through emmisions with that attached to the PCM...it will confuse the [censored] out of the diagnostic machine. A flasher reprograms the PCM settings..undetectable(at least so far).
My car passed PA emissions testing with an SCT chip no problem. Twice.
No cat, disabled EGR, 42# injectors, 70mm MAF, etc...

·
Registered
777 Posts
well, thats def a good thing, but not everyone necesarily might be so lucky.

But, yeah, its your preference. mine was the flasher.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I'd go with the SCT XCal2... for the money... you can flash it in just a minute or two... and you can datalog to your hearts content! Plus tweak the tune's parameters right on the unit.

For the extra $$$.... well worth it!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
the Xcal2 takes just as long to flash as the normal Xcalibrator i thought.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure on actual stopwatch times, but why not go with the latest and greatest if your gonna upgrade.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
the Xcal2 takes just as long to flash as the normal Xcalibrator i thought.
Never flashed my ZX3 with an XCal1... but the XCal 2 takes 75-80 seconds... tops!

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Xcal 2 can also read and clear codes too.

A stand alone reader is at least $100, which makes the tune part cost what the old diablo chips did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts