Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: what\'s up with Toyota?

Corolla GT-S (DOHC) > Corolla SR5 (SOHC)

Comparing those two is like comparing.......well, I'm sure some people here know how to complete that sentence.

[ 04-27-2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: ^_^ ]

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Don't underestimate the Matrix. Although the fact that its available as the Pontiwack Vibe as well, depreciates it right off the bat....

But anyway... that plus the Celica.

If you've not felt the 180 horses in a GTS... then you're missing out. They're Great cars! And they get like 35MPG consistantly!

·
Registered
177 Posts

Well I would consider the celica as a car like that but, the thing is that they don't make headers for the cars so they can never get a true performance out of the whole car. They may be quick out of the factory but after that thier is not much choice. My friend has a gt with injen intake and hks exhaust and a buddy club kit. It sounds great and looks great, but he is pissed that none of the big aftermarket sellers make a header for him. He found a small company that made one for the gt and not the gt-s so if anyone bought the gt-s they are **** out of luck, but he never bought it because of quality issues(he didn't know if it was good).

·
Registered
168 Posts

i want a rear wheel drive 16000 dollar coupe please....with at least 130 hp

·
Registered
795 Posts

^^^^ They had to get it dirty to get that shot

·
Registered
227 Posts

Originally posted by Jay D:
Well I would consider the celica as a car like that but, the thing is that they don't make headers for the cars so they can never get a true performance out of the whole car. They may be quick out of the factory but after that thier is not much choice. My friend has a gt with injen intake and hks exhaust and a buddy club kit. It sounds great and looks great, but he is pissed that none of the big aftermarket sellers make a header for him. He found a small company that made one for the gt and not the gt-s so if anyone bought the gt-s they are **** out of luck, but he never bought it because of quality issues(he didn't know if it was good).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From newcelica.org, it sounds like the Hotshot header works just fine for the GT (independently dynoed for 8 whp, reports of up to 12) and you can get the Trial for the GT-S. Before my Focus managed to get fixed for free I was seriously considering switching over to a Celica. If you consider it a two seater with a big trunk, it's a great car. One thing the Celica aftermarket has over the Focus one is that it has turbo makers who actually care about getting CARB certification. Now that I'm no longer facing a huge repair bill, I'm currently planning on waiting to see what Toyota has up its sleeve over the next couple years. One thing I learned from recent experience is that Toyota needs to add a telescopic steering column option for the MR2 and Celica for us taller folks. I'd like to see the Celica go back to RWD but it's a non-issue for me if they make a new Supra or if they add FI to the MR-S (in which case, screw the lack of trunk and roll bars).

·
Registered
723 Posts

is that the corolla T sport (i think thats what it's called)? if i remember correctly it comes with the engine and 6-speed from the GT-S celica. yet another cool car we don't get in america.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

Originally posted by ^_^:
Corolla GT-S (DOHC) > Corolla SR5 (SOHC)

Comparing those two is like comparing.......well, I'm sure some people here know how to complete that sentence.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol, yeah see i know nothing about what the old SR5 was. i just figured since it LOOKED sporty, it might have had a little kick to it.

but what i meant to start this thread for, was to try to getting a better understanding of toyota's marketing strategy towards youth. i just think it's weird that there's no traditional hot hatch or sedan like everyone else is making. instead you either go with a sporty fastback (Celica) or something like the Matrix, bbX, or ccX, all of which are kinda in their own little categories and are hard to compare to other stuff.

·
Registered
355 Posts

doesn't a matrix have a celica drive train or is that the vibe, also what bout the mr2

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
what\'s up with Toyota?

you'd think that they would have some sort of performance compact in the U.S., right?

i just wondered that cuz their equivalent of the Focus, Sentra, Civic, Golf, Neon, etc etc would be the Corolla, right? or the Echo, maybe? so wouldn't they come out with a performance version? those Vitz hatchbacks look pretty cool when done up nicely.

or do they consider the Matrix and the Celica their contributions to the enthusiast market?

i mean, they used to have the Corolla SR5 back in the day, wasn't that a kinda souped up version of the Corolla, or was that just an appearance package?

·
Registered
582 Posts

Matrix XRS and Celica GT-S both have the 2zz engine, which is good for 180hp. MR-2, Celica, Corolla all have the 1zz engine, good for more like 135. In the MR-2 they stuck with the 1zz for weight, size, responsivenesss (lighter weight internals) as well as cost and insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts