Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
That whole issue started back in the 70's. People were sueing for false advertisement. And it wasn't just ford it was all of them. Ever since then as a rule for self preservation, numbers are always understated. Like the mk3 focus st, sticker claims 250's hp but is actually closer to 290 @ the crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They actually measured horsepower differently back then as well.

Many people still don't understand how it works and It doesn't help when you have programs like Top Gear that does dyno tests occasionally and give completely misleading information as in this video.

Skip to 3:35 or so.

What the dyno operator failed to explain to the Hamster is that the car rated by Ford at 500hp (flywheel) made 447hp wheel which actually means the car is producing somewhere around 525hp flywheel so it is in fact underrated, I'd like to see them dyno every high performance car they test and see if they notice a pattern.

-Steve

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh I'm sure they had a myriad of people write in about that vid. It's television and entertainment about cars. Very rarely do the uk hosts actually comprehend or understand what they are talking about.

·
WHERES MY KEYS?!?
2,743 Posts
still funny to watch... i particularly enjoy the expedition episodes.

but i also prefer TGUSA so i guess i'm an ousider. american humor > british humor IMO.

the fact that some cars are invovled in the plot is a +1

what were we talking about again?

oh yah bhp vs whp cary on

·
Registered
696 Posts
Correct. But I think the issue has been pretty well cleared up. Whp is different from Bhp and the manufacters stickers understate to keep consumers happy. And to allow for variances in geographic locations and atmospheric conditions. As well that a stock zetec making 115whp after 9 years is a healthy peppy little motor. I myself made almost 130 N/A whp. With some bolt on mods before I went turbo. Like everything else if you know how it works and what makes the motor happy and more efficient you make the largest gains.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
and there it is on post 21 omni rases the bhp vs whp point.

I'd be surpised if i made 110 hp stock with the atx... yet the HP rating on the slush box is the same as the MTX.

Because it's a generic measurement (BHP = (2π(Torque)(RPM)) / 3300) from that spinning thing inside the block i forget what its called.
Solely for the purpose of tooting my own horn, I made that point in post #4...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Kind of late but since no one has said it... most stock mtx zetecs made 103-107whp and 95-99whp for atx when factory fresh on a dynojet. Back in 2007 mine made 114 with a 65mm tb magnaflow exhaust and k&n cone filter. Ive never heard of one making 115 SAE stock.

Fwiw ive seen alot of cars dynoed and the focus seems to be in line as far as drivetrain loss as other similar cars from the era. Civics Integra Celica ect.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Kind of late but since no one has said it... most stock mtx zetecs made 103-107whp and 95-99whp for atx when factory fresh on a dynojet. Back in 2007 mine made 114 with a 65mm tb magnaflow exhaust and k&n cone filter. Ive never heard of one making 115 SAE stock.

Fwiw ive seen alot of cars dynoed and the focus seems to be in line as far as drivetrain loss as other similar cars from the era. Civics Integra Celica ect.
I even saw an example of a mustang once, where they swapped in an aluminum driveshaft and "gained" like 15 horsepower.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
I started thinking about valve/piston clearance :rolleyes: It could spoil my plan if in TDC piston hit the valve.

SVT cams have higher lift, zetec headgasket is 0.6mm not 1.1mm in case of SVT. 2.0 zetec pistons are much different to SVT I know that. Plus Ive got adjustable cam gears and I will to advance/retard inlet cam as well as exhaust (but this isnt a problem).

Has anyone came across this question or ever had problem with this?
You should not have any problem with high lift cams, or a smaller gasket, or high crown pistons, or shaving a head (within reason), or adjusting cam timing (performance limits are encountered before metal is hit). Even combinations of these things that work well together won't cause impact. The part of the piston stroke when the valve has opened enough to hang down into the area of piston travel is when the piston has moved out of that area. Shape of the cam lobes means they are partially open more than fully open.

There is a place on the lobe, above which the valve is in the piston zone, below that limited area nothing can happen, and the piston is not nearby when that part of the lobe is in contact with the bucket... you have to stop the valve from rotating when it is in the piston zone (break a belt) and wait for the crank to bring the piston to hit it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes as said above 130 is estimated at the crank not the tires a 105 is average at the wheels stock

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
You should not have any problem with high lift cams, or a smaller gasket, or high crown pistons, or shaving a head (within reason), or adjusting cam timing (performance limits are encountered before metal is hit). Even combinations of these things that work well together won't cause impact. The part of the piston stroke when the valve has opened enough to hang down into the area of piston travel is when the piston has moved out of that area. Shape of the cam lobes means they are partially open more than fully open.

There is a place on the lobe, above which the valve is in the piston zone, below that limited area nothing can happen, and the piston is not nearby when that part of the lobe is in contact with the bucket... you have to stop the valve from rotating when it is in the piston zone (break a belt) and wait for the crank to bring the piston to hit it.
And this is the answer I was hopping to hear :)

anyway my zetec mtx made 128whp. Ive done just intake and exhaust with header and 200cell cat. Its not enough 4 me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power at the wheels, (dyno) will be less than the advertised HP through loss of power in transmission and other factors. 115 is about right for 130+ at the flywheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All this time and energy adding bolt ons for less than 15hp, and a simple pocket port job and some contouring of the heads would have likely, gained double that.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts