Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Well the threads are M12x1.5 however the McGard locks I tried to buy for my PZEV the other night stick out too far. You could probably get a pair of vice grips on them and get them off. I'm not sure if the ST wheels will have a similar problem.

Anyway - I could use an answer on this as well, but right now I'm just trying to make certain my stock wheels don't wander away.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
266 Posts
hi,... since you mentioned wheel locks... I always wanted to know...

Do they work? I mean, they make sense to me and I think they work... but, how good are they?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It works...from keeping the owner from changing the tires...hehe...my cousin's husband has OEM ford wheel locks and they lost the key. Took a while to track down the key so they could get the tires changed...hehe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
...so they really work

I'll buy wheel locks when I get my new rims... I just wanted to know if there are any "tricks" people can use to take the wheels (even w/ the locks..)

Thanks

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
They sell these "Wheel Lock Removal" sockets at some autoparts stores. They are like the reverse of an easy-out if you are familiar with those. It looks like a normal impact socket, but on the inside it is grooved to eat into and grab the wheel lock so that you can remove it. They are intended for impact guns, I don't think you could make it work without one.

My friend just told me about a company that uses 7-sided lug nuts and includes a 7-sided socket. They aren't true wheel locks, but I know I've never seen a 7-sided socket for sale anywhere.

Honestly, if someone wants your wheels bad enough they'll get them, or they'll just take the whole car with them. Sad world we live in...

>8^)
ER

1 - 6 of 6 Posts