Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint my stock 02 svt wheels black. What paint should i use?

Also is there a threads on the proper way to do this?

·
Registered
993 Posts
with whatever paint you use, this is the procedure i did and it turned out flawless.

1.wash wheels very thoroughly with some dawn or something strong, then dry off
2.sand with 320 grit till clear coat is entirely gone
-you could wipe it all down with laquer thinner and make sure your not taking any paint off ( if u are, u need to sand more since the paint wont stick if there is still enamel on the wheels )
-make sure to do the back of the rim too
3.wipe down THOROUGHLY with generous amount of denatured alcohol and clean rags
4.tape tires (could also tape the weights or remove them entirely, then get re-balanced when finished)
5.paint yo' [censored]

preperation is most important part

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
duplicolor makes wheel paint. made just for wheels. hence the name wheel paint. haha

·
Registered
303 Posts
with whatever paint you use, this is the procedure i did and it turned out flawless.

1.wash wheels very thoroughly with some dawn or something strong, then dry off
2.sand with 320 grit till clear coat is entirely gone
-you could wipe it all down with laquer thinner and make sure your not taking any paint off ( if u are, u need to sand more since the paint wont stick if there is still enamel on the wheels )
-make sure to do the back of the rim too
3.wipe down THOROUGHLY with generous amount of denatured alcohol and clean rags
4.tape tires (could also tape the weights or remove them entirely, then get re-balanced when finished)
5.paint yo' [censored]

preperation is most important part
There is some good info here, but I wouldn't sand the wheels with 320. That is way too rough and will leave visible sand scratches once the wheel is painted. All you really need is a nice 3M grey scuff pad. You can scuff them wet using a blem prep agent, then wash them, let dry and clean for paint. If you want to sand them to get out any surface irregularities, use 600 or 800. Good luck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
qcoffey, your car is sick...and u did a great job on the wheels

but i want to let you know that 320 is not too rough (to me). as soon as i get a camera i will put my pics up. it was the perfect grade to get all the paint off but keep it smooth. granted i did 2 coats of primer as well, but no scratch marks whatsoever.

600 or 800 and i think that you'd be there ALL day (considering i was sanding for 5 hours)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
never, not if Done properly. With spray-paint... and no tasks done to prepare the surface, then maybe.

I used 2 light coats of etching primer. I haven't seen any paint chips...

·
Registered
303 Posts
qcoffey, your car is sick...and u did a great job on the wheels

but i want to let you know that 320 is not too rough (to me). as soon as i get a camera i will put my pics up. it was the perfect grade to get all the paint off but keep it smooth. granted i did 2 coats of primer as well, but no scratch marks whatsoever.

600 or 800 and i think that you'd be there ALL day (considering i was sanding for 5 hours)
I didn't use any primer, then again I didn't have any damage to the wheels. Usually 320 is used when there is some sort of refinish work that needs to be done. Since you primered, that fills in the scratches. I have been rolling for almost a month without a single chip. So as long as the surface is prepped right, there shouldn't be any problems.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Here is a pic of my wheel. I used Duplicolor bronze wheel paint. I didn't sand them, just scuffed, cleaned and painted.

wow
awsome job!! best DIY pic ive seen

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help guys

p.s.

does anyone have a pic of the stock SVT 5 spokes painted black on a silver SVT?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Good job on painting those wheels with a spray can. I have shot wheels with flat black before, and it looks ok for a cheap set of winter wheels, but nothing show quality. Prep is surely the key. The wheels on my Mustang were scuffed with grey 3M scotch pads, then the body shop painted them white. That was almost 8 years ago, and no chips.

I am thinking about painting the stock set of SVT 5-spokes either bright bronze (just like the pic above) or a dark bronze like the Rays Magnisium 6 spokes. I think it will great on a black SVT Euro. I will keep the stock euro wheels the factory color, just paint the extra set of 5-spokes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
thanks for all your help guys

p.s.

does anyone have a pic of the stock SVT 5 spokes painted black on a silver SVT?
yeah look in rigz for cdsilver02 or maybe it's 03, I'm not sure he's from Kansas City, and has his painted, they look sick...

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have had mine painted for like six months after using the duplicolor paint. No chips at all. Only flaws in the paint are ones that i created [censored] it up in the paint process. LOL Just make sure you get them clean as hell after you scuff them up a little bit. I didnt even use a primer... L8er Jon

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i must warn you though, the paint will chip off...
2+ years on my Duplicolor job, no chips...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts