Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing some used 2000 wagons listing "traction control". Could this be advance trac that early? Or was there straight "traction control" (ie: acceleration, not stability) available in 2000?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I can only remember the 2001 LA auto show....a good number of the cars had it as "new for 2001". and every dealer I talked to after had no friggin' idea what I was talking about. I ordered it Feb 1st 2001, delivered the end of March.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Rob, Methinks that it was first out in '01--but it was expensive and rare; the '02's had a "deal" with a package disount. Mine (02 ZTS)was like $1600 with a $1000 discount on the window sticker--that way you got the whole deal for just a bit more than ABS alone. Really sux that it appears to be gone for '04...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm very upset that it seems to be gone in the Focus, this is enough to make me not buy another Focus. No really, I'm not kidding. I'm so sold on buying a car with this system that my next car has to have it.

AdvanceTrac became an option in 2001. Plain and simple. It was available on the ZX3 and ZTS, as far as I know. It cost me $1225...not too bad when you think about it, although the systems are much cheaper on other vehicles now.

Definitely look for one with this system.

~Tim

PS- PM me if you have any questions about it, P-51.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I don't recall plain old traction control being an option prior to the addition of 'AdvanceTrac' - that's kind of odd. I wonder if there is a way to ID an AdvanceTrac car by the VIN? Anyway, as others have stated it was intro'd in 2001 on ZX3's and ZTS's only. To my knowledge, it was not available at all on the Focus Wagon.

>8^)
ER

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
To my knowledge, it was not available at all on the Focus Wagon.

>8^)
ER
AdvanceTrack was eventually maid available on ALL Z models (the top trim levels) So you could get it on the ZX3, ZX5, ZTS, & ZTW

AdvanceTrack was pared with the Zetec engine, but in 2004 all top Z models will now have the 2.3 engine, If ford kept AdvanceTrack around they would have to redo the system to work with the 2.3 engine, or make it only available on Zetec engine models. Doesn't make sense to have to get the "middle" model to get the best safety system so the option was dropped. As it is you can only get "traction control" with the middle model, since it is a carry over system. Now don't forget that the focus didn't have AdvanceTrack the first year it was released in the US, and I think it is strange that ford kept traction control available as an option on the middle model but didn't make it available on the top model yet. Is it possible there gonna do the same thing over with this new engine and wait a year to reintroduce it with the new engine?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the option is just gone. Gone gone gone.

I know that it was very rarely ordered. In the plant, they had this little desk off in a corner, and like once a week a guy would go back there for an hour to build a few sets of rear disk brake arms and hang them on a rack. It was THAT rare.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now that you are a "Family Man", you might consider the Windstar. I have a 2002 Focus ZTW and a 2003 Windstar, both with side airbags and Advance Trac.

The way Ford is marketing Advance Trac on the Windstar is part of a popular package, so there are plenty of them in dealer's inventories. The package also includes Reverse Sensing, which is very useful. In this area, the rebates and loyalty discounts now being offered by Ford are the best ever. Anyone in your family in the military - get an even bigger discount.

When you stop gaffawing at the mere mention of a Windstar, just let me say, I am driving both a Focus and a Windstar, and the Windstar is a very nice vehicle; it is not a "come down" in driving feel compared to the Focus. It has its own personality, and I enjoy it in its own way.

I live near the Honda Odyssey plant. I toured the plant and extensively checked out the Odyssey, but concluded that the Windstar was a better vehicle, all things considered. The Windstar is even built in Canada !

I presume that you are aware that you can go to www.fordvehicles.com ; find dealers in any area ; then browse their inventory of vehicles in stock. You can even bring up the Window Sticker of each vehicle.

Good luck !

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... just checked out the Windstar, and it would actually be a decent vehicle. All the safety options, lots of room, and can tow 3500lbs (tow the racecar!)

But I'm not sure we're quite ready for that yet.

I found a black ZTS with Advance Trac and MTX. Current thought is to buy this, Tina drives it for 2 years till mine is paid off, then I get the ZTS and maybe she could get a minivan then. That's about the time we'll be ready to have kids anyway.
Also, about that time, my hatch will be a dedicated track whore, and the towing capacity of a van would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i dont know how safe it is, but the escape can also tow that much, and looks better to boot, more utility out of it as well. im sure the duratec also gets better gas mileage than that ancient 3.8

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Escape is on the list too. It can't really compete with the Windstar if you're looking for a family hauler though. Economy is probably similar, since the Windstar is probably more aerodynamic, and not 4x4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts