Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed an emissions test the other day with flying colors so it's not an emissions related issue.

When driving at 'normal' speeds, or dinking around in traffic, there is no smell at all.

But at higher speeds I start to smell a burning smell that goes away after I slow down and open my windows a bit.

I'm not an expert, so I have no way to tell if it's tires, oil, transmission, or something else making the smell but it's something that I think shouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
posibly your car is leaking some fluid. and at speed it blows on to a hot surface and burns off? or your just crazy
. is there anything else unusual that happens?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing really unusual, but sometimes esp. when slight incline and I'm accelerating hard (i.e. onramp at bottom of a hill) the car will have these tiny little jerks until I can ease off the pedal. This is probably not related..

As for leaks, that is possible, but how I can find out.. whenever I change my oil right underneath the engine block there is a 'bead' of oil. I tried to get it looked at at the dealership but they claimed that they couldn't see it, even though the body shop could. Then they claimed that cars sweat oil. The thing is, the 'bead' does not ever drip on my driveway. Not even once. So I've not been paying attention to it.

Can someone describe what oil, tires and tranny burning smells like?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
its hard to describe the smell. but start the car and get it nice and warm. then drip a little of each fluid on your exhaust manifold. just a little. you dont want make a big mess. that way you can tell what each smells like

·
Registered
921 Posts
When I hit the on ramp doing 55+ to get on the highway (at full throttle) I get a egg smell. My engine is running hotter, and some oil seems to have come out of the cap. My EGR tube is removed. I don't know if all this is related, but it's kinda scary.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been notified that I have a bad valve cover gasket. It seeps oil and is getting on my exhaust manifold, and that's what I smell. I'm going to be replacing it fairly soon. Check that out as a possibility!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I had the same problem, but it turned out to be a couple of drops of oil on the engine that had dropped there when the oil was changed. Quick wipe down and no more burning smell.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
When I hit the on ramp doing 55+ to get on the highway (at full throttle) I get a egg smell. My engine is running hotter, and some oil seems to have come out of the cap. My EGR tube is removed. I don't know if all this is related, but it's kinda scary.
jrock, your cat is going bad.

What kind of Tranny do you have, Technarch?
Your engine doesn't "Sweat" oil....

Have you switched to Synthetic Oil?
If so, that could be your Bead of oil.
Synthetic WILL find its way out of the TINIEST of places, even if it's not problematic.
I'm guessing Tranny if it's an Automatic, not sure if it's a Manual....
Just a Guess though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts