Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah my car is a 2002 and it already has 20,000 miles on it. I heard it's about time to change the fluid in my 5 speed tranny. So if i am to do it i want to put that synthetic fluid in there. What do all of you recommend on the fluids and also how is it to do it yourself. Thanks.

[ 02-13-2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: greystealth ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't quote me but I don't think it is requires till at least 50K miles if not more. But, I'm about to hit 20K and have some Redline D4/ATF in my garage waiting to go in. From the how-to's it doesn't look too hard. Not nearly as bad as my wife's Mustang Auto that really needs it

Eric

·
Registered
578 Posts
I did a rebuild on my tranny with only 150 miles on it. I put in the 4.06:1 gears and the Torsen. For a new tranny, the oil was TERRIBLE! There was way too much particulat material in the oil.

I'd change your's right now if it were my car!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i just changed the tranny fluid. It went pretty smooth. I bought the Motocraft synthetic manual transmission fluid. I thought my car would have the red stuff come out, but when i pulled the plug it came out like old oil. dark caramel. It smelled the same as the stuff i put in. Could it be the same stuff? Well i spilled a bit when i was putting the fluid in but not a whole lot. Should i still buy another quart ? It sure feels a bit smoother on the shifts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just changed mine as well...I got looks like it was a '82 that had never been changed. It was straight up sludge. I think it depends on how hard you run it really though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I did a rebuild on my tranny with only 150 miles on it. I put in the 4.06:1 gears and the Torsen. For a new tranny, the oil was TERRIBLE! There was way too much particulat material in the oil.

I'd change your's right now if it were my car!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did the same thing, the oil was all messed up, it looked as if the car allready had 75,000 on the tranny allready..

I went with Redline MT-90

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone know the capacity of the tranny for a five speed ZX3 02'thanks, Tom

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by SangriaZx3:
Anyone know the capacity of the tranny for a five speed ZX3 02'thanks, Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">looking for the same info but for a 2000 zx3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts