Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need custom springs for the rear of my FC coilover kit. I'm looking to put in a 2"idx125lbx11Long spring. I called eibach thinking they could make a set no probs but the customer service guy tells me they don't make custom springs? WTF!?!?!? They refered me to Ground control for custom springs, I will try them.

Anyone know of any other places?

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well ground control can only get the standard eibach ers coilover springs and can't do custom stuff either. They referred me to a company called coil spring specialties. I filled out their online quote form with the info about a day ago and just got a price with shipping. Comes to about $150 shipped for a pair of custom coilover springs which doesn't sound too bad. I'm gonna do it!

So the intended setup is a 175lb/125lb front rear ratio mounted on the shocks struts. Using p-51's spring rate caclulations from another post running the 125lb spring on the shock equates to running a 248.5 lb spring in the rear in the stock location. The f/r ratio would then be .70.

I know know one gives a crap but the info may make someone else's life easier in the future.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
have to say contact ctzx3, he just got some out-there combination of coilover springs

-Ult

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
i have some spring i had made for my FC coilover kit
2 1/4 ID 8" tall 250lbs and 225lbs available

I had custom ones made 7" tall and 350lbs on all 4 corners now

hit me up i can find the place that i got them from

chris

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's a pretty good price for two springs, I'm using 2.5x375lbx8" Hypercoil springs now on my front coilovers and 2.5x300LBx8" in the rear.

The closest I can find to what you want is Hypercoil Coil-Over Spring, 200 lb/in, 10", 2-1/2" dia. They are about 65 each.

That's a pretty odd setup what are you going to be doing with the car??

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's a bit late I ordered them today but I would like to know the contact info of the company anyway chris.

Euro Ford Fan.. I'm trying to make a slightly stiffer setup than the apex kit which is a great handling setup but, one that can go between 2" inches and near stock height for winter driving. None of the current coilover kits fit that bill. They are all using heavy spring rates and most have a maximum height that is 1" or more lower than stock.

The apex springs supposedly have a 150/200 front/rear ratio. I will have a 175/125 rear but since the rear is on the shock, it's the same as having a 250lb spring in the stock location. I'm hoping p's calculations are right or else I'm screwed. I'll find out soon enough! I just want a nice streetable fun setup, nothing too firm. I will have adjustable shocks for that though if need it!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Carrera in Ga makes custom shocks- have springs, also any dirt track magazine will have springs for coil overs, usually cheaper that anywhere else.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
H&R made mine in about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well, it's a bit late I ordered them today but I would like to know the contact info of the company anyway chris.

Euro Ford Fan.. I'm trying to make a slightly stiffer setup than the apex kit which is a great handling setup but, one that can go between 2" inches and near stock height for winter driving. None of the current coilover kits fit that bill. They are all using heavy spring rates and most have a maximum height that is 1" or more lower than stock.

The apex springs supposedly have a 150/200 front/rear ratio. I will have a 175/125 rear but since the rear is on the shock, it's the same as having a 250lb spring in the stock location. I'm hoping p's calculations are right or else I'm screwed. I'll find out soon enough! I just want a nice streetable fun setup, nothing too firm. I will have adjustable shocks for that though if need it!

Ahh I understand now. My ride is 1000% better with the new springs I can now run my Leda's below 8 clicks hard. My street ride is now very like my Dad's IS300 firm but still soft, if that makes any sense at all.
I raised my car back up to just around 3/4" to 1" below stock.

Good luck I would like to see some pictures of your setup when your done.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll def post pics EFF.

Thanks for the link chris, I've checked that out before when I was searching for springs but didn't see any 2" diam springs listed. I gues I should have called some of those other companies up to see if they made custom springs too. Forgot about it at the time.

I have the fc kit for koni's in the rear which uses the non-standard 2" diam springs. I changed my mind recently and I'm gonna use spax in the rear with a tube shim in between the shock and the coilover sleeve if necessary. If I decide I want koni's in the future all I gotta do is take out the tube.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
I have been keeping up with this thread since I plan on getting FC coils too.

I want a fairly aggresive rate and also be able to adjust the car to the tires for shows and such.

I was thinking of 200front and 225 rear so I can keep my Eibach shocks/struts for a lil while!!

But will 2.5" Dia 7" tall fit on the FC coils!!??I cant find anything smaller on that site!!

Thanks
Gabe

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the stock front spring on the fc coilovers id 2.5x175x10", the rears of the non-koni kit use 1 7/8(1.88)x175x10" springs. You will need to stick with those diameters unless you get the koni kit and sleeve it then you need a 2"diam rear spring, not too sure about the length but I would go with a taller spring if you wanted to bring it back to stock but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey this is some great info on custom springs and the FC rear sleeves! Thanks for posting up guys...

So If I’m running the koni's I would need 2" inner diameter(ID) springs in order for them to work with the FC rear sleeves? I take it that this 2" ID is not a standard size? If so, who stocks/sells/makes a wide variety 2” ID springs, I don’t see any 2”ID springs in the web-site that Chris posted.

Enzi

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so 2.5 diameter on the front...but what is the difference between the koni kit and non-koni kit??
the koni rear shocks are fatter, so the coilover sleeves have to be of a bigger diameter to fit over the koni's and thus the springs also have to be a bigger diameter. If you know you are going to use koni's you have to tell fc that and they will give you a rear kit for koni's that has the fatter sleeves. The standard coilover kit uses smaller sleeves and accepts 1 7/8" springs, the koni rear kit only accepts 2" springs. Other shocks may need bigger sleeves too but I don't know which ones.

Hey this is some great info on custom springs and the FC rear sleeves! Thanks for posting up guys...

So If I’m running the koni's I would need 2" inner diameter(ID) springs in order for them to work with the FC rear sleeves? I take it that this 2" ID is not a standard size? If so, who stocks/sells/makes a wide variety 2” ID springs, I don’t see any 2”ID springs in the web-site that Chris posted.

Enzi
Yup, you would need 2"id springs and the koni specific rear coilovers. 2" is not standard, 2 1/2 is. Eibach makes 2" springs but the max length is 5" long which is too short unless you get an extremely heavy rate and a tender spring.

the only place I've found to get 2" id springs is the place I just bought them at. The other co's on the link chris posted might make custom springs as well.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I have 2.5"ID and 7" tall springs at the front and the rear.

i used their old style kit on the rear, works very well.

the springs i have are 350lbs each, I also have no front or rear sway bars.
with Ford Racing KW shocks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts