Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says... On the back of the intake manifold i tapped one vac line for the boost gauge... I tapped another one for the bov and now sould i tap a different one for the wastegate or should i just use one of the ones im already using??? I think in the very back of the manifold there are 3 vac lines comming outta the middle of the manifold... like i said i T'd into 2 of them should i use the other for the wastegate or is there somewhere else i should use???

let me know

thanks
jason

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You need to get the signal preferably from the turbo. The wastegate shouldn't see a vaccuum.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told you get a better response if you T the wastegate into the intake manifold... i had it T'd into the compressor housing on the turbo but i was told to do it this way from Ray at mcnews but i was just woundering what vac to T???

jason

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone got any info here for connecting the wastegate to the intake manifold cuz i'd really like to do this like today or tomorrow... but my question is my tial sport wastegate has 2 vac hook ups... one is on the side which the vac goes to and the other is on the top and is left open... which if i leave the top open and connect the other to a vac source in the manifold wont i have a vac leak then or what??? any help here would be great

thanks
jason

·
Registered
990 Posts
hope this helps

·
Registered
990 Posts
The bottom port must see boost (from the compressor or close by) for the wastegate to open. If you disconnect this port you will destroy some part of your car eventually. You want the reference line to be as close to the compressor as possible so it will be highly responsive.

The spring determines how much boost will open the wastegate. If you apply boost pressure to the top port, it will cause the wastegate to stay closed during higher boost levels. Having a boost controller inline will allow you to effectively control how high it is allowed to go.

If you want, you can connect your boost controller between the boost reference (compressor housing) and the bottom port, leaving the top port open to the atmosphere. This will trick the wastegate to stay closed by limiting the boost it sees at the bottom port. A lot of people do it this way too.

I have seen great response (5psi before 2000 rpm) using the method in my top picture. I am running a profec B spec II and the tial WG in my pictures above...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts