Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only driven about 3 other manuals so im not sure if there a problem but just make sure here. I got my focus about 3 months ago and it has 60,000 miles. It feels like the clutch engages right before the pedal is all the way out. Maybe 2 inches or less. Everything feels fine otherwise. Is that normal or should it enage right as im lifting my foot off from the ground. I drove an MX-6 today and it felt that it engaged much earlier then mine. Any ideas or it it normal for foci. thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FIrst off what is a for sure way of knowing without bringing it to a shop and how do I know when it NEEDS to be replaced? How much does it cost roughly for a shop to do? Any other opinions out there

·
Registered
445 Posts
mine engages in the same spot, has ever since I bought it....and that was about 30K miles ago. I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts slipping

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah I had my clutch replaced at 48,000 miles thinking that it must be done and still had plenty of surface still left on it. Could have gotten another 15 to 20 thousand miles outta it. There seems to be no hope on changing the [censored] placement of the clutch engaging.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
FIrst off what is a for sure way of knowing without bringing it to a shop and how do I know when it NEEDS to be replaced? How much does it cost roughly for a shop to do? Any other opinions out there
The for sure way is to keep driving it till it doesn't hold any more. That's when I replace my clutch.

Cost: too much, probably $600-800. Or some friend can do it in a day in a garage (that's what we do out here in Kansas)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does it mean by it slipping? Does it not hold while the clutch is in? Well im gonna be gone for a few days should I have a shop look at it or just keep on driving. When i mean it releases late I mean like my foot is practically off the pedal. Otherwise everything seems fine imo.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
What does it mean by it slipping? Does it not hold while the clutch is in? Well im gonna be gone for a few days should I have a shop look at it or just keep on driving. When i mean it releases late I mean like my foot is practically off the pedal. Otherwise everything seems fine imo.

the slipping is when you have the clutch engaged fully(your foot not on the pedal) and the car does not pull. or if you are in gear and hit the gas the engine revs up but you dont go any where. trust me youll know if it is slipping. it takes alot more to get your car moving. when it starts slipping get it fixed right away. you might have 2 weeks on it before you can move it.

my car was sitting in my grass and i went to move it, nope. it was that bad. i swear to you that i could maybe hit 50 mph with it. and that took forever

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
Rule of thumb for hydraulic clutches....the higher the pedal engagement the thinner the clutch friction disc is(= worn).When the friction material is so thin that its down to the rivits the clutch will slip.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k that makes sense but it seems that foci normally engage later than say a normal hyrdolic clutch. Is that right.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
IMO the real million-dollar question is when is somebody going to make a custom pedal that changes the pivot point and allows the clutch to be actuated by simply flexing the foot, rather than making a "mini leg press" motion. Now THAT would be a cool mod. If it would work, that is - I dunno if it can be done without spending a fortune or requiring too much pedal effort and/or pedal travel. I looked at my pedal/master cylinder setup briefly, and it looked like it would be a major PITA to modify it, especially if you want to keep the stock master cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts