Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....i need some help from you guys.....i started to install a set of 5-point g-force harnesses today......not really sure where the best spot is to attach the lap belt.....i started with the passanger side.......i removed the seat and attached the left side of the belt over the factory latch......for the right side i attached it at over the factory location for the front of the "seat belt loop" on the floor......seems to hit the loop.....are you guys mounting them there?.......if so are you using some kind of spacers to move it out from the loop some?..........also, where is a good place to mount the sub belt?.........thanks guys........

.....30+ views and no-one can help?........is rapping the belt around the standard loop okay?........

·
Registered
516 Posts
I bolted my left side under the loop. I pulled the stock belt all the way to the front before hand. Once everything was tight, the stock belt was lightly pinched in place and did not slide to the back of the loop. I think that's safe as it was only pinced by the harness fabric, not the steel.

Wrapping it around the loop is probably pretty safe, as the stock belt relies on that connection. You'll have to remove it for street use as it'll interfere with the stock belt. I just bolted it on as I didn't remove my harness, I just tucked it under the seat for street use.

I originally ran the sub-belt to the tube under the front of the seat, but this is as good as useless in any collision - don't do it! Ideally, you'd cut a hole in the seat and run it straight down to the floor. Realistically, that's a ton of work. I'd run it down and back, between the seat back and the seat base, and attach it to one of the rear seat mounting points. It's not ideal, but it's better than any other options.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
I originally ran the sub-belt to the tube under the front of the seat, but this is as good as useless in any collision - don't do it! Ideally, you'd cut a hole in the seat and run it straight down to the floor. Realistically, that's a ton of work. I'd run it down and back, between the seat back and the seat base, and attach it to one of the rear seat mounting points. It's not ideal, but it's better than any other options.
That's how my sub belt is run? Why do you feel it would be useless? On the shoulder belt (mine is the Y) I ran the mount to the rear passengers shoulder mount. I removed the passenger belt retracting spool. Used the stock bolt and hole and secured my mount. Belt is almost horizontal with my shoulders. Right and left they are mounted to the stock locations, not on the rail on the left.

·
Registered
516 Posts
That's how my sub belt is run? Why do you feel it would be useless?
In a frontal colision, your body is going to be violently thrown forward relative to the car, stretching the lap belts and moving the buckle forward. When this happens, the anti-sub strap will become slack and cease to function as an anti-sub strap. As this happens, the shoulder straps also tighten and begin to pull the lap belt up off your hips and into your soft fleshy belly. All the while your anti-sub strap is flapping around loosely between your legs. Ouch.

Running it backwards under your bum means that it is also tensioned as your body moves forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts