Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to find thicker tappets, and ford does not have them. Any body know where to get them?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Just try a little bubble gum on each lifter.
just kidding. If you don't mind me asking, why in the world do you need thicker ones?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i need thicker ones to make up the difference in the lash gap. right now it is .027 and needs to be .010, so i need thicker tappets to make up the difference.

·
Registered
659 Posts
let me guess you have the ford racing head. You can go with the 98 contours lifters they work. They make big enough shims to fill that gap. good luck

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yeah if the biggest 1s (7xxs) dont work, then he'll need his valve seats ground down.

-Ult

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok...the stock size of the tappets on the intake side goes like this.

valve-1-17.235
valve-2-17.235
valve-3-17.295
valve-4-17.235
valve-5-17.235
valve-6-17.295
valve-7-17.145
valve-8-17.203

i need tappets that are these sizes

1-17.252
2-17.252
3-17.312
4-17.252
5-17.252
6-17.312
7-17.162
8-17.220

goinf to call crower this morning when they open and see what they have, but im open for any other ideas.

·
Registered
659 Posts
your number 8 is wrong because it can't end in a 3 it has to be 5. If your doing your math right you need smaller tappets not bigger ones. You can get the sizes you said you need at the dealership. Dude what I'm trying to tell you need to do your math right because if you need bigger tappets and you have written down smaller ones you did something wrong. If you need help doing some math send me a PM and I'll help you.

Cory

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey cory....If the gap between the tappet and the cam is .027, and it needs tobe .010 that means i need thicker tappets to take up the extra space of .017. So im thicking some tappets from ford and going to have them machined down to the sizes i need.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
their all wrong

and i'll tell ya why...

he is measuring his gaps in thousandths, whereas ford charts for their buckets are done in mm. need to convert it all to 1 system.

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
example

17.235 is your stock bucket in no1 (17=K for bucket size)

.010 is your required lash (.254mm)

.027 is what you got w/235 bucket (.686mm)

.017 is the difference (.432mm)

.235+.432mm=.667mm (i dont recall if ford had any 6xx sizes...if they do, you need the closest 1 to this (loose side preferable)) thought they went from 5xx to 7xx...check it out...if you cant find the bucket you need, you'll have to get your valve seats ground down. most machine shops wont grind down a bucket. mcnews already went thru that process. might wanna look into those adjustable buckets (w/their own shim kits)....call mcnews on that 1.

good luck, i'd figure them all out for ya if you give me the lash of each 1....gotta go to work now

-Ult

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Steven, it looks to me like ult is right on this one. I think what throws things off is that your cam specs read in SAE (inch) while the Focus manual reads in metric, hence the need to convert to mm for the correct lash. Re do the math converting everything to mm and see what is required from there. I'll get back with you on this later after I do more research too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thats what I was telling him that he needs to fix his math. Because he screwed up. Also he probably going to have to either have those valves reseated or go with the 98 contour lifters which work, and you don't have to pull the head off again.

Cory

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok... dan and i talked on the phone this afternoon. the lash gap on all 8 valves is .027(.685mm). this gap needs to be close to .010(254mm)which means i need to make up the difference of .017(432mm). so i think it goes like this.

current tappet size
1-17.235mm
2-17.235mm
3-17.295mm
4-17.235mm
5-17.235mm
6-17.295mm
7-17.145mm
8-17.205mm

i just added .432mm to each of those numbers and came out with.

1-17.667mm
2-17.667mm
3-17.727mm
4-17.667mm
5-17.667mm
6-17.727mm
7-17.577mm
8-17.635mm

if i did the math wrong place correct me

ult: is this what you ment?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
only if ALL of your valves were .27 total lash (thats why i put example).

were they all .027, or are some different?

realize that when your done w/the math, you wont be able to get the exact fit, but you'll need to see what they make, and then order the closest (if your choice is between a looser 1 and a tighter 1, go loose (not too much of course)). and if they dont make 1 anythin close to some of yours (those 600s worry me), then you'll need your valve seats ground down.

-Ult

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well....i called MCnews auto. today and they said give FR a call and i did. FR racing knows there is a problem with there head. the valve seat where surposed to be ground down to .040, they only got ground down to .090. which explains the large gap between the cam and the tappet. FR said that the intake side should have fit perfect like the exhaust side did, and that i must have gotten one of the bad heads and that they will give me another one. The only bad thing is that it is already on the car, which means i must remove it and ship it to MI for them to replace it. so it is worth it to remove it.thanks everybody for there help on this, and i will keep you posted on the "summer project"

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
only if ALL of your valves were .27 total lash (thats why i put example).

were they all .027, or are some different?

realize that when your done w/the math, you wont be able to get the exact fit, but you'll need to see what they make, and then order the closest (if your choice is between a looser 1 and a tighter 1, go loose (not too much of course)). and if they dont make 1 anythin close to some of yours (those 600s worry me), then you'll need your valve seats ground down.

-Ult

-Ult
Ult, again your right on the money. Steven and I talked today and re-did the math (he understands that there will be a variance between ideal within a few thousands / or mm), but what we discovered is that FR didn't grind the seats correctly and you just can't get there from here. Anyway, I think Steven and FR has come up with a solution, we'll keep you posted.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts
On a related note: Those damn faint little numbers inside the buckets are really hard to read. Ult, anyone, a tutorial on the little numbers.

Or, do I bail and just micrometer the things?

Thank-didly-anks!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey, Tekin are you not listening to a word I said you don't have to take that head off your car. If you want me to tell you how to fix it email me or call

[email protected]
318-746-1199 or 318-560-0329

Cory

1 - 18 of 18 Posts