Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which one to pick for my GF 01 zx3 gold 5spd. I needs to be cheap no $400+ exhausts. I was looking at the MBRP $199+ s/h or the OBX $175+ s/h. Both are stainless steel. My brother has a OBX on his 96 Eclipse RS and it sounds nice. thanks for your help. Maybe if someone has a better clip of the MBRP and one of the obx. I cant find one.thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
There both very very Good exhaust. They both sound great and give you about equal performance. The only reason obx has my vote and becasue I have one......

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any sound/video clips. Both are the only ones within price range and both are stainless. her car has taken a beating coming from MA and all there salted roads and 103k miles.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Depends which look you like. With stock header/cat they will both sound close to the same (I have heard both). They are pretty quiet with nice low deep sporty tones. One is a tip and the other is a canister. I myself have the MBRP. It sounds pretty good with my race header, and doesn't buzz.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i'd get the mbrp too. the shipping for those is around 50 bucks so it comes to 250, the obx usally for some reason have like 100+$ shipping.

plus the mbrp is used by alot of us on here so its been time tested and proven at this point. i'm not sure of many people that use the OBX catback... headers on the other hand alot of people use. but as for the catback i don't think thats used by too many people.

i'd go for the mbrp.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
The guy has a turbo but isn't willing to pay a price for a high quality exhaust system.

Stay away from MBRP... unless you like spit ear drums.

·
O .
2,372 Posts
Bur have you heard the new MBRP's there not that loud.. and the zaust is for his gfs car not his. i say mbrp sounds really nice

·
O .
2,372 Posts
mbrp is canadian made but still quality

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
MBRP = Quality American Made product

OBX = Asian rip-off junk

Get the MBRP.
OBX products are far from Junk. Yes they are copies of brands, but they are excellent quality. Their header is very well made along with their exhaust. If I hadn't forgotten about the OBX, I would have got their exhaust over the MBRP.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everybody for your help
The guy has a turbo but isn't willing to pay a price for a high quality exhaust system.
As stated in the above posts its for my girlfriends 01 zx3. She is attending a 4 yr college and doesnt have tons of money to spare. My 00 zx3 turbo has a 3" aluminum full exhaust with a magnaflow muffler and tip. My car set me back with the turbo $7k total

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an OBX header and it cracked to [censored] over time. After that I got a JBA ceramic silver ceramic header that was notaciably better quality than the OBX. I am very happy with the JBA and wouldn't ever buy another OBX. Would love to here other opinions on the JBA header from others that have used it though..

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I had an OBX header and it cracked to [censored] over time. After that I got a JBA ceramic silver ceramic header that was notaciably better quality than the OBX. I am very happy with the JBA and wouldn't ever buy another OBX. Would love to here other opinions on the JBA header from others that have used it though..
I don't know what OBX header you had, but it must have not been the new ones. The new ones are excellent quality and I have heard no one having a problem with them. However I have heard people having problems with the JBA such as a cracked collector, cracked welds, and rusting. Also you don't get any power from a shorty header.

Long tubes:
OBX: full stainless, perfect fit, good welds $190 shipped

SVT long tube: Very good power, made by ford $ forgot

Focussport 4-1: good power, good welds, never put one on so don't know fit, ceramic coated. In the high $300's.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have the OBX shorty header and the MBRP cat back like both.

the MBRP isn't to loud nice and mello.

Tim

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
most race header without any bracket to hold may cause cracking..obx is really good quality, they are not rip-off asian stuff..it is korean stuff.

·
O .
2,372 Posts
i couldn't get the lower cat bracket to werk so i just left it off should i fab up something for it

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The lower bracket will work, it just needs to be turned around and you need some very long bolts. I would suggest trying to get it to work or fabbing something up, because without it the header vibrates alot more and it could cause cracking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts