Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting an intake, the iceman which i dont know much about, the volant which seems ok, or the aem or aem knock off on ebay (which i would need a bypass valve for). what is the best what are the pros and cons to each.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you really want a TON of info on all the intakes, try a search, there's been a few posts on them. If you want my opinion, go VOLANT!
Great stuff!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Get the Volant. nothing else above it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have always had good number with the CAI's that go below the front bumper

·
Registered
243 Posts
I too kicked around which intake to get. Ended up buying Volant, very pleased with intake, high quality, easy to install and I hear rumor of a ram air adapter that is soon to be available.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
volant gets a

i got volant, tb, udp and magnaflow and i can do rolling burnouts in first. mmmmmm torqueeeeee

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you plan on putting a bigger MAFS on, dont get the AEM, thats the mistake i made.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by hotfocus:
Get the Volant. nothing else above it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah right it is not even a true cai, get the aem and you will not need the by-pass valve unless you plan on sitting in a puddle for a long period of time.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I could have sworn that ANYTHING which Ducts cooler air to the engine was a "Cold Air Intake".
I believe the Volant fits this category.
Not ONLY does it have a place to add a "Downspout" (If you like risking the puddle-thing) BUT there's also the new hood-scoopish accessory which ducts a HECKUVA Lot of Cold Air Straight from the nose of the car. Just because it's not dangling down at the pavement does not mean that it can't get as much or More "Cold-Air".

·
Registered
272 Posts
the volant is not drawing in cold air thru that little duct...give me a break. if that were the case you could simply remove the top of your stock filter houseing and then remove the little peice that juts off the side and stick a hose there yourself. if you want the tru cai with the volant you need to get the hood scoop of something. and cool air is not the same as cold air. i can run my car for hours, run it hard and can still grab the intake tube from my aem cai, and it is cool because of the cold air, grab it by the tb not down low. like i said the volant is not a true cold air intake, at best it is cool air intake( unless you buy the hood scoop)

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have been testing the volant for a while now and i also have the AEM

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have been testing the volant for a while now and i also have the AEM and from what i have seen that the aem gives more power up higher in the power band and pulls harder and the volant drops the levels down to a more street level. both are great intakes but if you are going for all out power and not planning on getting a pro-m maf i would get the aem. so i am probably going to ditch the volant after i finish dynoing them both but we will see.

geoff

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The Design of the Volant would flow much better than a cut-off/hosed stock box, w/o necessarily putting the filter in Danger of drowning in adverse conditions. (Which Murphy says WILL Appear...
)
Between an SVT Snorkel and the Volant side inlet w/ a well placed tube, it would give as much or more "Cold-Air" As any of them. The Scoop is a whole 'nother level.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The Volant and AEM/Bomz are both great intakes. Redneck hit it on the head though. If you want more low end, get the Volant. If you want more up top, get the AEM.

Or, you could listen to MichealXi and go all out and get the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts