Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly where to put this, but i figured since it had to do with lowered vehicles, i'd put it here............Basically, everytime I do my oil change, or any other time i have to get under the car....... i have to drive up on a piece of wood or something, or get someone to pick up on the fender....... so that my car is high enough off of the ground to get the jack underneath of it.......So my question was is there any particular jack that you guys with pretty low cars use, or have heard to use that is pretty low to the ground so that i can just put the sucker under there? Thanks,

chris

·
Registered
422 Posts
i have had the same problem when i lowered my car. so i bought those wheel ramps from wally-world for about 20 dollars and they work fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^hmmm ic......thanks for the quick reply....did you have any problems with the front scraping on the ramps when you drove it up or are they not that steep? I'm scared of that happening to me........

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
there are several lines of very expensive shovel nose jacks like brunnhoelzl, but prices are about $800 and up..for the race car we just use an $80 aluminum jack from harbor friegt that has a minimum height of 3"..and the car is low....

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
there are several lines of very expensive shovel nose jacks like brunnhoelzl, but prices are about $800 and up..for the race car we just use an $80 aluminum jack from harbor friegt that has a minimum height of 3"..and the car is low....
sounds right. And I use to rub on ramps when I first tried those, so I gave up and got the aluminum jack at harbour freight.
All better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
^^hmmm ic......thanks for the quick reply....did you have any problems with the front scraping on the ramps when you drove it up or are they not that steep? I'm scared of that happening to me........
well, im on sportlines with the stock zx3 front bumper and i have no problems with scraping. i dont know how steep they are exactly, but im guess somewhere in the 15 to 20 degree range.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a lightweight aluminum jack for around $120.
I bought that jack 2 weeks ago on sale for $70 from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Costco sells a race jack, twin piston 21" extention, 3 1/2 ton

fits under my car with stock 16s and H&R race springs

and it fits under dinos car w/ tein s-tech springs, blown dampers and stock 15s.

it works beautifully.

its heavy as all [censored], prolly near 75#s.

costs like $100.

they also sell an aluminum race jack thats 3 ton, 18" and weighs like 25#s. has nice big rollers on it.

the Craftsman aluminum jack thats red and brushed aluminnum is 2 1/2ton, 18", and is low enough to fit under my car. it just costs like $199 or something like that. but i can pick it up with my pinky.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, thanks for all the replies.........it seems that alot of people like the "harbor freight" ones.........i'll probablly end up going with them.........does anyone have a website to purchase them off of? www.harborfreight.com ?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Psh... what about the stocker? You know, the one that came with the dohnut? That thing is really low- and for a helpful hint- if you cut that metal hand-crank bar off you can use a 16mm ratchet (or an air-wrench) and you're in great shape.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Costco sells a race jack, twin piston 21" extention, 3 1/2 ton

fits under my car with stock 16s and H&R race springs

and it fits under dinos car w/ tein s-tech springs, blown dampers and stock 15s.

it works beautifully.

its heavy as all [censored], prolly near 75#s.

costs like $100.

they also sell an aluminum race jack thats 3 ton, 18" and weighs like 25#s. has nice big rollers on it.

the Craftsman aluminum jack thats red and brushed aluminnum is 2 1/2ton, 18", and is low enough to fit under my car. it just costs like $199 or something like that. but i can pick it up with my pinky.
ill planning to go to costco to pick up a low-profile jack. im tired of bringing out the 2x4

·
Registered
534 Posts
ya i've been running up on boards forever it does start to suck specially when ur car ant runnin then what do u do??? the stock jack is ok i guess but honestly i dont know if i've ever used it
... and my 3ton jack wont go under my car either with it slammed and the new skirts on... but keep in mind im bagged and the skirts sit like 2" from the ground lol... ramps with my front bumper would never ever work... my mother used to have a lexas and that jack was nice as hell... so what i do is if im not up on boards i just put that under jack it up alittle then get the big jack under there and go at it... u get used to it after awhile...

jason

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a lightweight aluminum jack for around $120.
I bought that jack 2 weeks ago on sale for $70 from Harbor Freight.
The $70 one is quite a bit smaller and not nearly as strong as the one for $120. My friend has one and it's already bent. Be careful and don't allow any side loads on the jack.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Really 3"? Can you messure it to make sure? 3" would be great for me as I only have 3 1/4" of space under the car to jack the front. Thanks Gary.

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
I use a Harbor Freight hydrolic racing jack. It's the blue anodized one. Not sure on the model number.

It doesn't slide under the car though unless somone pulls up on the fenders. Keep in mind though my car is dropped almost 3.5".

I've never been able to find a set of ramps that aren't at a super harsh angle. I could never get my car up on a set of those without ripping the entire front bumper off.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Well I can't fit a creditcard upended under the front jacking point on the car. So if it is taller than a credit card then it will not work for me. Can't wait to get the cage in so I can add the air jacks and no more problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts