Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a catback, intake, tb and nology wires. not much for performance I know but its a start. I'm looking at getting either camgears or a diablochip and I was woundering which would give me a better gain being their about the same price.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Automatic or manual transmission? The Diablo chip will change the shift points in an auto tranny, making it worth more than a pair of cam gears. Plus, cam gears don't really do much until they are dyno tuned. I have a Diablo chip in my 5-speed ZX3 mostly to raise the speed limiter
I haven't picked up a pair of gears yet because there aren't any dynos around here

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the cam gears really need to be dyno tunned or can you just mess around with them until you find something you like. and granted to truely get the best result they should be dyno'd

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can screw around all you want...I did for weeks, and I thought I had a pretty good setting. Then I took it to Focus Sport to help break in their new Dnyo and I was WAYYYYY off. In fact I wouldnt of even guessed going the direction they did, and it was a substantial diff. Dont waste your time. You can make your butt and your head believe its faster every singal time.

Do the dnyo.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Gears will give you more of a kick so long as they're properly dyno tuned yes... a chip mostly will just raise your fuel cutout RPM limit, and "eliminate" the speed governor.

So if your goal is to go faster top end.. then get the chip... if you wanna go faster, in less time then get the gears.

·
Registered
128 Posts
definently get the chip. i just got mine and i think its probably the best mod ive done so far. the car feels completly different powerwise because it picks up fairly early and is still pulling close to 7000 rpms. if all else fails do chip and gears. that way it'll will really pull when you get up there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts