Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has done it, how did it go, and do you have a how-to? thinking about doing a variation of this, but I am curious about the longevity of the lights after this hack.

·
Registered
461 Posts
what mod are you talking about there are many things you can do to your headlights and just saying headlight mod is way to general. please give us some more detail

thegreat1

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did this mod about a year and a half ago. It still looks great. It is a VERY time intensive process to do properly though. You'll need an entire day to complete the mod. Mine don't leak at all, so it can be done, if you take your time. Let me know if you need any tips or help.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
What do you do? just dissasemble them and paint the outer part black? Spray paint it black?

-AM
i've done 5 pair now. it's an easy mod, just takes some time to do. basic run down:

you will need:
1-2 cans gloss black spray paint
1 scotchbrite scrub pad
a lot of clamps
1 tube of silicone sealer
hex head screwdriver(i forgot what size)
blow dryer or heat gun
screwdriver

1. remove headlights
2. remove bulbs
3. with a blow dryer or heat gun heat up the black adhesive and remove it with a screw driver. work your way around the headlight slowly(THIS IS THE LONGEST PART)
4. after you have gone around the headlight, it should now pull apart with a little force. set the black half aside.
5. the lens portion of the headlight has the chrome piece on it that needs to be painted. remove it by unscrewing the three screws in the cornes with a hex head screwdriver.
6. clean the chrome piece and scuff it lightly with the scrub pad
7. paint the chrome piece. make sure you get between the slots. use several light coats. you do not need a clear coat as the lights will be sealed and nothing will scratch the paint.
8. after painted piece has dryed, screw it back to the clear cover.
9. run a beed of silicone in the grooves of the black half of the headlight.
10. put the two pieces together and secure with clamps.
11. smooth out the silicone that has been squeezed out. wipe away excess.
12. let dry for at least 2 hours before putting it back on the car.

pretty quick run down. if you have any question pm me. depending on the weather in your area, the silicone should set in 24hrs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did mine before I got my Hella's. I was very happy with the look I got from them. BTW they where painted TW blue to match my car.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks JP. that is exactly what I needed. i bought a second set of lights for cheap so I could try this. when I finish it, i have a nother experiment in mind with my leftover set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts