Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering as it seems over the last 4 years there has been numerous and frequent post about related problems. It is such a simple device, I just don't know what to think... So is it a hardware design problem, quality control problem, or are the installers just making the same dumb mistakes over and over and over and over......

If I go and drop $300 or whatever on one and it still has design problems after all these years, I will be ready to kill someone.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
rod just port your stocker some say it flow just as much

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I am very happy with my 65mm FC TB and have never had any problems with it in the 3 years its been on my car. BUT I would look for one for sale used, because you can snag one for alot cheaper then $250.

·
O .
2,372 Posts
personally i love my fctb, it was hands down the most noticeable engine mod i've done, also i heard its pretty incredible on boosted foci

·
Registered
409 Posts
4 years ago I had a FC 65 mm and it never worked properly no matter where I installed the TPS, and the cruise control cable broke because it kept banging against the bracket used with an ATX. I now have the new version, and the return spring broke and left me at WOT. I had to turn off the key and coast over to the side of the road, my timing belt jumped....and let's not go any further down that road. I sent it back to FC (in Teh...something CA) and they fixed it with an upgraded spring. My car is serviced at Murphy Ford, which is very appropos since if anything can go wrong with it, it will. I wonder how long it will be before I break it again?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have the FC/Steeda 65mm TB and love it the only draw back is WOT comes a lot sooner and it gets "sticky" after a long drive in cold weather

·
Registered
104 Posts
Once I fixed the "sticky" problem by turning the idle screw maybe 1/10 of a turn, I loved my FC TB. At first I was so-so about it, but after getting used to it I couldn't go back to one with less response. Downshifting, rev matching, heel-toe work, all faster and smoother, and it's great for fast upshifting too. I think my friend sums it up best, who was driving my car and complaining about the TB... 30minutes later he had completely changed his mind after driving with it for a while and couldn't get enough of it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
i really enjoy my fc 65 mm t.b......alot better then the ported one i had. i would try to find one used like the other guy said, but if it is definitely worth it either way
you'll think your car has changed so much to be honest w/you.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
i have fc 65mm tb and it gave me 2500+rpm idle..
tps was in right position and everything is good.
other than hanging at 2500+rpm on idle, fast throttle response was awesome.
I m guessing gasket is blown or something..tried silicone thing but still having problem..
should i apply silicone and let it set for couple hours??
bcuz as soon as silicone applied, i went on highway drive around..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Try putting the TPS in different positions, even if its technically the "wrong" one. I had that idle problem with mine and then just switched to one of the automatic positions for the hell of it and it's worked perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I loved the FCTB but it broke on me twice! So back to the stock ported TB, so sluggish feeling.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments so far...

So anyone have anything good to say about the BBK TB? Only thing I found on search was that one wouldn't open all the way.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Rod i have had mine(FC TB)for about three years now and have had no issues. I did have a tp sensor go out but it was a year after i installed the tb. I think it was water that got in it and f'ed it up so when i bought the new one i just doubled up the orings usint the old one to help it seal better.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
the 'cheap' 65mm TB is junk, overpriced piece of metal that gives response thus placebo power.

many people out there who 'love' theirs will likely never check to see if its opening all the way. i put 2gether a shim mod to remove that issue but surely was only the 1st pita. i respect u all w/TPS and/or spring problems out there. those folks were simply in it for the money and they got a lotta impressionable kids to plunk down crazy amounts of cash for 2nd class stuff.

-Ult

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Well I know lots of people are unhappy with their FC TB but mine has given me no problems so far and I've had it one for almost 2 years. When I logged my car with a cheap date logger I think it told me my TB was opening almost all the way but I'm not sure. And it was idling about right. From all the probs my car has I doubt my TB is any of the cause. I honestly think it might be overkill for anyone without Forced Induction, Cams or any other big power adder but hey who are we to judge eh?

·
O .
2,372 Posts
hey ult, you opinions are welcome but don;t trash on us who do have it. i never said that i felt a huge gain and i can't think of anyone who did personally i love the feel of it and it kinda sounds kool. and its awesome for FI. also i've checked mine and had my buddy put his foot hard to the floor and it it turns the full 90 degrees. maybe you had a dud or somethin

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Like I said before, I have had no problems with it for 3 years and it really made the car more fun to drive. I will however check tomorrow to make sure that it is opening all the way.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
I love yeh fc 65 mm tb possibly one of the best mods i have done even though it didnt really add power it just changed the car so much

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Hate mine.

- Drew

1 - 20 of 38 Posts