Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the authority on Throttle Body\'s..........BBK or Focus Central?

I am about 2 days away from ordering my Throttle Body just curious what you guys find to be the most bang for the buck? Are there any other company's out there that make TB's.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: Who is the authority on Throttle Body\'s..........BBK or Focus Central?

BBK and FocusCentral are it. FocusSport had one in development for a while, and I'm not sure what the story is lately.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
...FocusSport had one in development for a while, and I'm not sure what the story is lately.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since you bring it up, the protoype was performing just as the "other" brands mentioned. However, I can't live with the quirks and drivability issues. So for now the TB is on hiatus.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Double post.

[ 02-17-2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: PhocusZX3 ]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
...FocusSport had one in development for a while, and I'm not sure what the story is lately.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since you bring it up, the protoype was performing just as the "other" brands mentioned. However, I can't live with the quirks and drivability issues. So for now the TB is on hiatus.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Crappola. So are you guys still running the stock throttle body on the project car?

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
Crappola. So are you guys still running the stock throttle body on the project car?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, we are.
I know that a lot of people are running TBs, but I just hate to see weekly or even daily topics here about their "issues." I do think that if you are okay with some quirks, then there are gains to be had, though.

·
Registered
158 Posts

i just replaced the old fc tb with the new one. They modified the linkage positioning because people where complaining about how the old tb's made the gas pedal too light. They have both in stock so if you call them before the old ones are gone you can have a choice. i can't tell you about power difference, though, because i added other things at the same time, but Nader said there are power improvements as well.

oh, one more thing. I believe their engine builder is pre-setting the idle screws now (which is why anyone was having problems) so the old problems shouldn't exist anymore.

[ 02-17-2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Saleen317 ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

i'm still surprised at all the cars w/o the appropriate work done 2 necessitate a 62-65mm TB on the zetec. and payin all that money 4 throttle response til u reach a certain whp level where the stocker (ported or not) becomes the bottleneck.

my take is that they all have issues 2 take up w/their pieces. but primarily, 4 most of the cars we c on this forum. a mustang sized TB on a 4cyl that cures a car w/anemic response stock isnt worth it in my eyes. til u hit a certain level of mods. port ur stocker in the meantime.

-Ult

·
Registered
8,272 Posts

keep ur stock, save the trouble and drama...

if you cant handle it, dont get it

some can, some cant....its personal prefernce

Gains? Sure, just as there are gains from cat backs, headers, intakes....few HP are to be had, its been proven.

some people love the response, some dont, some dont even understand how it works so they complain

You decide if you can live with it

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

go back 2 ur FI forum man lol

-Ult

[ 02-17-2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
727 Posts

I like the FC TB, & I just so happen to have one on Ebay!!!

FC Red TB

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

I just ported my stock tb--it helps a ton, especially when on a y2k manifold and a good cai.

no diveability issues to this point, only great throttle response.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

the FC and the BBK are very similar (if not the same) in design. they suffer the same issues as far as driveability and the aforementioned "quirks." the BBK, however, is much more expensive. save your money and get the FC. it's a great piece, especially the newest generation. you won't see as much of the issues people had in the past with tiny gaskets and hard to adjust idle screws. the new design in corporates an allen key type, spring tensioned idle screw so it can't wander forward or back and is much easier to adjust plus it's got a nice fat gasket.

Nate

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

What kind of issues should i be concerned about, is this something that requires pro install??
Just curious, still have a few days till i order it.

·
Registered
601 Posts

The issues people are talking about mostly include installation error... The TPS sensor not mounted correctly, or the idle adjustment screw not in the right place. These are not problems with the throttle body itself, but the operator. There has also been some speculation on the TB plate not opening all the way, but has not been proven with all the new versions of the throttle body. If I were you, I would go with the Focus Central one because it seems to be of better build quality. The BBK is cast, and there are always going to be imperfections.

That is just my opinion. I have had mine for close to 2 years with none of the problems above, and highly recommend it to anyone.

Eric

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

no proinstall needed. check out the how to in www.myfordfocus.com for all the details. just make sure your tps is placed in the right position and that you get the auto bracket (i think you have an auto if i remember correctly.) you shouldn't have any problems. just remember to restart the ecu (by disconnecting the neg battery cable) after installing. in fact, you should disconnect the neg battery cable any time you plug/unplug electronics like the tps just in case.

Nate

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts

Jackson racing has one also, unfortunately I haven't been able to find it being sold anywhere. Also I have no idea how they perform.
Anyone got one yet?

[ 02-19-2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: digifreak1 ]

·
Registered
446 Posts

MAC also have one lately. But I've never heard of it. I guess the quality is not too bad either. I have a MAC UDP on my car, and it has no problem so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts