Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i'm 80% sure at this time i'm gonna make the plunge... in like 2 months, i'm going to get a MCS. i love my Focus, but the Mini just fits my personality more, i dunno, i can't explain it, but i just need to have one.

anyways, i have a few questions that i need answered before i buy one. i was looking for forums, and aside from www.minicooperonline.com, and www.mini2.com, are there any other reliable sources and forums for tech info on the Mini?

i am trying to figure out if the John Cooper Works package is worth the $4500+ it costs. i realize that is a [censored] load of money for 40hp, but it's a total package, and backed by the factory warranty, and can be financed, and those things i like. granted, i'm then paying close to $25,000 though...

cuz aside from that, i was looking at cheap and effective upgrades, and Mini Mania, Strictly Foriegn, and a few other companies sell a lightweight supercharger pulley, and using the Mini Mania one as an example, it just comes with the pulley and gives you 4 lbs. more boost which comes out to something like 20hp i think... i was just wondering if it was safe to slap the pulley on with no modifications to fuel management or anything, etc etc...

...stuff like that i need to find a reliable source of info for, cuz its really odd to start looking at other car forums when all i've been used to for the past 3 years is this forum and its members... i've learned who on here i can trust with tech tips and troubleshooting, etc etc, and i hope to achieve that if i do get the Mini.

so if anyone knows of any trustworthy Mini sites, i'd appreciate them, or if you have any input for the questions i asked, go for it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No. That package, while nice, is a waste. Go with a the pulley. I think its about $500, and it puts you at about 205hp.

Spend part of that $3700 savings on the Aero Package.

·
Registered
201 Posts
those 2 boards are about all there is for minis.

just a side note, please read all of the "problem forums"

I did and I kinda knew what I was getting into, but took it lightly. I had problems with my cooper the first day I took it home. And things arent getting better. Been to the dealer more than enough times already. Trying to get rid of it, as a lemon.

MCS' here are going for like 25-28k. This car isnt worth that much money.

For a lot more car for your money, have you looked at maybe a WRX, STI,SRT-4,EVO?

I know this isnt what you were looking for, but just thought I'd give ya a heads up about possible problems. I love my mini, but not that much

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just a side note, please read all of the "problem forums"
thanks, i definitely need to do that.

regarding the other cars, yeah i really like the WRX and quite a few other cars at the under $25,000 range, and honestly the only reason i am looking at the MCS is because i want THE MCS. i'm not in the market to buy any car, i'm doing this solely because i have this insatiable urge to be driving an MCS. i dunno, i just really like it a LOT.

but i will check out it's associated problems, because if it can be as bad as you say, it might be worthwhile to try to wait another year or so to see if the reliability improves.

but in any event, i'm just basically going off of what you said when i talk about reliability, so would you mind briefly explaining what is wrong with your car?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well, the consensus on the Works package is that if warranty is your big concern than yes, it's worth it. There are many other companies out there that offer more HP and often for less money, but NO factory warranty.

As for after market, I kwnot, personally, the guy who owns MiniMadness (www.minimadness.com). Him and I used to chase each other around the local race track, and yes, even with a modded Mini I passed him with my ZX3!!

He's a great guy BTW if that makes any difference. I hope this makes sense and is relevent because I'm a little drunk right now!

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok I have a base CVT cooper. It's for my wife. Now mind you I might have a lemon, and I know of lots of perfect running coopers here. My feelings might be slightly jaded, but here goes. I keep a diary of all the problems, in my new diary book that mini sent me

Ok not so serious problems, were the first day I took it home it had a cracked reverse light, and a CVT recall.

A month later the car stalled and needed to be towed back to the dealer. (common problem btw)

And my $500 xenon's randomly go out. This has happened 5 times already.

The lemon part comes into play with the saftey issues. Headlights going out for no reason is a saftey issue. I dont care what anyone says. And the stalling problem, thank God we were at a red light which turned green when it happened. I read up about it, and it happens to lots of people while their merging onto freeways, and such. We have a file with Mini about all these problems, and the dealer knows about it as well. Only time will tell I guess.

But anyway, Since your getting an S, any CVT probs that I had dont apply to you. Of course my cooper could be an isolated incident, but then again read the problem forums, and you'll see problems come up with lots of people who can relate because it has happened to them. So Im not the only one heheh. So my problems could seem trivial to people, but I just bought a brand new car, and it's crap, and I'm upset.

But dont let my problems sway you from what you want. Your gonna get what you wanna get regardless, Im just here to pass some info about my badluck with the car. Just like anything else out there, you'll never hear anything good, only the bad.

And the cool factor wears off in about a week
And I wish we got the corolla instead

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
how does fun factor compare to the focus?

I'm looking for tossability and tractability at the edge...which i certainly get in my focus. Everyone seems to say the Mini has that too. how do you feel bout that?

The Corolla (at least the sedan I drove) behaves like a typical japanese car (I have to rely on the butt gyro rather than steering wheel/chassis feedback). In fact, i've driven most compacts (cept for the sentra) and only the GOlf and focus appeal at all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
how does fun factor compare to the focus?

I'm looking for tossability and tractability at the edge...which i certainly get in my focus. Everyone seems to say the Mini has that too. how do you feel bout that?

The Corolla (at least the sedan I drove) behaves like a typical japanese car (I have to rely on the butt gyro rather than steering wheel/chassis feedback). In fact, i've driven most compacts (cept for the sentra) and only the GOlf and focus appeal at all.

Fun factor...hmmm..well the focus has more power

And how come everyone raves about how well the focus handles? It's a FWD, they all handle well
Honestly, it's been more than a year since I sold my focus, so I honestly dont remeber any redeeming qualities about owning and driving it.

One bad thing I can say about the mini is that it has electric steering. Response is sluggish, and I find it hard to palm the wheel to turn in tight spots. That's really my only gripe, and the seats are a little uncomfy. But I knew that when I bought so I dont make a big deal about it.

Low and behold the car stalls again today, and the pressure of it being a lemon is greater and BMW is kissing my butt right now

The new corolla, to me is better in every way. It's cheaper, it's comfortable, it has more power, it's more fun to drive, the interior is 10x's better. It probabably wouldnt have crapped out on me the first day I take it home....I will never buy American again. American cars are crap. Their made crappy, they look crappy, they drive crappy, sorry if Im a little biased. Oh wait you guys are too
hehehe

I will always buy Japanese cars for the rest of my life. Im not going to be missing out anything domestic, so I dont really feel like im short changing myself. Look at my WRX, it's a first year car, and I NEVER had any problems with it. At all! It's a fricken subaru!! At the time it was the black sheep of the import market. No one thought twice about owning one.

As for German cars...well...no comment

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
I've been browsing the Mini2 boards pretty intensively lately because i had a chance of getting one. The Early MCS owners had some small problems here and there but nothing big. A few (estimated @ 5%) of new MCS owners have been noticing a small surge stumble (where have we heard that before) at the end of 2nd gear. Other than that alot of people say they're MCS's are great!

I got to swap cars with a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. He has an 03 MCS and i have an 02 SVT. The MCS blew my SVT away in handling, its truly like they say... GO KART! And power wise it pretty much felt like my stock SVT. At the time i had my AEM CAI installed on my SVT and it felt a bit punchier. Also the MCS's run circles around us on the AutoX course, if u need proof check out local times. With good to great drivers they run close to the Z06's and fastest times of the day.

If things would have worked out the way I wanted i would definitely get an MCS but without the Works package because u have the power for alot less money, probably even more power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts