Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a quiet 2.5\" exhaust

I know Tru-bendz does with their magnaflow muffler, but I've also heard the magnaflow muffler is loud too. So who else makes a 2.5" that is quiet?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Re: Who makes a quiet 2.5\" exhaust

The Cosworth exhaust is really quiet... <font color="white">------------------------------</font> <font color="lightgrey">when the engine is off.</font>

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

The Borla is nice and quiet, but it retains both cats. It doesn't make a sound at idle, it's quiet at low revs, and it sounds like an OE performance system in the upper range. With a Cossie flex-pipe added, it rumbles a bit at idle.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Tru-bendz is noisy! That is for sure! I am getting my resonator from them tomorrow, as now I have there set up just with a straight pipe. I will be posting up clips of theis system with and without the resonator if you want hear one of there systems. Keep in mind I also have Draxas Header and flex pipe.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

forgot to add I will have a header and flex soon so factor that in!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

The Cosworth exhaust is really quiet... <font color="white">------------------------------</font> <font color="lightgrey">when the engine is off.</font>

>8^)
ER
Yeah even with a header!

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

forgot to add I will have a header and flex soon so factor that in!

How quiet would you like it?

A system like the FocusSport Stealth (though only 2.25 inch) has two big perf-core straight-through mufflers and is not quite quiet enough for a Duratec with a header.

You may need to add another muffler or resonator to the middle section like Gringo ZX3 did ( see this lengthy thread for pics of his exhaust), but do it on a 2.5 inch system.

If you add another perforated core muffler ($) you will not see that much more restriction.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

Trubendz w/ Maganaflow Muffler + Magnaflow Resonator(your choice of length) = Perfection.

- Drew

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

the simple fact is... if you are looking for 2.5 you must be looking to get a header at some point, and if you aren't then I think you're a bit mislead on the reason to get an extra .25 inch of exhaust diameter....

so if you are getting a header, any performance exhaust is going to be loud without having 2 performance mufflers or at least 2 resonators + a performance muffler... at that point the header itself is going to make more noise than the exhaust.

·
Registered
225 Posts

well mike, what kind of setup do you have? and how can I get hooked up?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts

LOL... YellowSteel: The ENGINE is what makes the noise.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Trubendz w/ Maganaflow Muffler + Magnaflow Resonator(your choice of length) = Perfection.

- Drew

I had a dream last night that this is what I should do before I even read this. W3ird

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

having 2 performance mufflers or at least 2 resonators + a performance muffler...
Yep, that's the plan.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

LOL... YellowSteel: The ENGINE is what makes the noise.
Ya thanks for the education... now do we want to be picky and say that the air mixing with the gasoline + spark makes a small explosion which creates some of the noise?

The stock header muffles a lot of the 'engine' noise, and adding a header makes it a lot louder. More noise comes from the engine bay when you add a header.

I know because I installed one on my 2.3

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

now do we want to be picky and say that the air mixing with the gasoline + spark makes a small explosion which creates some of the noise?
Well, if we're getting picky, I would say that the explosions are responsible for most of the noise.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

If you're resonator is 22in, then the need for 2 12in'rs is not correct.

Magnaflow has a 22in Reso in 2.5in diameter.

Also, the 2.3 loves big exhausts, whether he is getting a header or not, the larger exhaust will net gains everywhere in the powerband.

The size of the piping has not bearing on noise. Only the mufflers or type of material used.

- Drew

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

- Drew
Especially with a Turbo Genie Resonator added on to the end.
You should hear how quiet mine is with the stock header. With a race header, I'm not so sure...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts