Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who says you can\'t power through a corner?

I read many posts from enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike complaining about the low torque and low power you get as you come out of a corner. I can guarantee I know how these folks are driving their SVT Focus, and it ain't as it should be.

I used to own a Honda S2000. There is an odd similarity between these two cars. They both peak in HP and torque very close to redline. People, if you are not driving your SVT Focus near redline, you may as well be driving a standard, run of the mill Focus. Those that complain about the S2000 are likely the same that complain about the SVT Focus.

But you’ve got to drive a sports car where the power is made. Not where you wish it was made, or where some other cars you’ve owned made it, but where that specific car makes its peak power. If you drive an S2000 near the peak power rpm, you will be rewarded with a ride of your life. The fun never stops after vtec is reached. Driving at 8k rpm lights the car up like an F1 racer.

The same with an SVT Focus. You HAVE to drive this car near its peak power rpm if you expect to be rewarded with the driving experience you expected when you bought the car. If you are going to granny around at 3500rpm "'cause you want to take real good care of her", then you don't understand why the motor is designed to peak HP near its redline.

I guarantee you if you pull through a corner at an rpm where peak power is made, you will slingshot yourself out of the corner. If you puddle around like it is a stock focus with a stock focus powerband, you will forever complain about the "low" torque coming out of corners. Peak torque is made around 5500rpm, which also happens to be where HP is at its sharpest rise. Enter a corner near 5k and floor it as you exit the corner, and you will be happy.

Like the S2000, the SVT Focus does NOT suffer from low torque, if you drive the car where the peak torque matches the rapidly incraesing HP.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Re: Who says you can\'t power through a corner?

Right, but like most 4's, it does suffer from low-end torque, which is where most of the complaints I've seen have been directed. Apparently, most of these people forget they drive a NA 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I agree with pcovers. I think are SVT is a fast car is not a cobra but it's pretty fast and when i take off and say im going 10mph and i floor it sometimes i start to pell out Yep that puts a big smile on my face

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

True....When autocrossing I have noticed that with some corners, you just need to click first gear once or twice.

I can come out of those corners pretty quickly with the revs up, so much in fact the car likes to side step on me.

And hey, I think I even felt 3rd gear scratch once....

·
Registered
474 Posts

Not only power..but holy $hit these cars can handle (granted I have 215/40/17" Yokohama's/ and H&R Cup Kit)....my story:

Me and Amber are out late one night (11pm on a saturday) and we're about to head home for the nite. I get up to an intersection - my light was green, it had been green since I came through the last lite. As I approach the white line of the intersection doing about 40mph (legal speed - go figure) a DRUNK **^&^&%%$%^&*()&*&^$# decides he's done being at his red light, so he takes off and starts to cross the intersection just as Im approaching....I hear horns honk (apparently, I was honking too) I hit the brakes, ABS kicks in I say to hell w/ it, Yank the E-Brake (I was in 2nd) Floor it and cut hard left....I DRIFTED
right in front of this guy (I was facing the same way as him - he was right behind me at this point) and I dropped the E brake and kept on the gas. Not one squeel (E wasnt fully engaged, just enough to rotate the car) from my tires...I didnt even move from my lane (it was either a left turn or straight lane)!

I still go up to that intersection and try and figure out how I pulled that off.

Amber wouldve been T- Boned. Not good.

SVT woulda been totalled. Not good.

The drunk POS wouldve been drunk and had a bashed in face for hurting my girl and my car, and ruining my nite.

I hate drunk drivers. With a passion.

Thats my story.

(this was last week BTW)

·
Registered
242 Posts

I know a lot of people who will not hesitate to drive drunk.

They consider themselves "people persons"... you know, they like to go hang out with folks and party... then they drive home. These are long-time adults I'm talking about.

I see them for what they really are though; SELF-CENTERED @SSHOLES. They don't care about people, or they wouldn't put themselves in a position to mame or kill them all the time.

You did good to survive that unscathed. Unfortunately, you weren't allowed by law to hunt the drunk and put him out of our misery. Sad times we live in, where you can't kill someone like that right on the spot.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Not only power..but holy $hit these cars can handle (granted I have 215/40/17" Yokohama's/ and H&R Cup Kit)....my story:

Me and Amber are out late one night (11pm on a saturday) and we're about to head home for the nite. I get up to an intersection - my light was green, it had been green since I came through the last lite. As I approach the white line of the intersection doing about 40mph (legal speed - go figure) a DRUNK **^&^&%%$%^&*()&*&^$# decides he's done being at his red light, so he takes off and starts to cross the intersection just as Im approaching....I hear horns honk (apparently, I was honking too) I hit the brakes, ABS kicks in I say to hell w/ it, Yank the E-Brake (I was in 2nd) Floor it and cut hard left....I DRIFTED
right in front of this guy (I was facing the same way as him - he was right behind me at this point) and I dropped the E brake and kept on the gas. Not one squeel (E wasnt fully engaged, just enough to rotate the car) from my tires...I didnt even move from my lane (it was either a left turn or straight lane)!

I still go up to that intersection and try and figure out how I pulled that off.

Amber wouldve been T- Boned. Not good.

SVT woulda been totalled. Not good.

The drunk POS wouldve been drunk and had a bashed in face for hurting my girl and my car, and ruining my nite.

I hate drunk drivers. With a passion.

Thats my story.

(this was last week BTW)
You were crusing in 2nd gear at 40? And you couldn't stop from 40 in time, but had time to yank the e-brake and cut the wheel? I guess it could happen that way, but I'd get your brakes checked, because stopping from 40 shouldn't take much more than 70 feet in our car.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I am the guy who is thinking about the Cobra. Believe me I drive the SVT with the revs up, but what I find and dislike tremendously is that there are many times that you make a right or left turn where you would have to downshift to first in order to keep the revs up. Maybe you guys do that, but I really never shift back to first.

Now since I don't shift into first I am finding coming out of the 90 degree turn I am doing too low an RPM to find any power in second.

Around twisties it's a different story I can keep the revs up in 2nd.

Dan

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

I love reving the hell out of the SVT. I usually enter onto the express way in 3rd gear so it takes off like a bat out of hell. I've gotten a few comments thrown out at the local AutoX's because some of the tracks I don't shift out of 1st gear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts