Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
beforehand, this topic is not to start a flame war, or to bash on anyone. but, why is it that hondas can accomplish such greater 1/4 times with so much less power than focuses? i mean, take for example this b18c5 powered eg hatch in the newest honda tuning mag. it dynoed at 180hp 129tq, but laid down a 12.5 in the 1/4.(not sure if it was on street tires or not, and i think the weight was 21xx lbs) that makes no sense to me compared to, for example, tom's car which boasts around 435hp and laid down similar times. can someone enlighten me?? also, these are not the only two cases, just the first examples that came to mind. i have seen many similar phenomena that keep me pondering. thanks.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Weight and traction.

- Drew

304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i mean, they can make a difference. but do they really justify the incredibly close ETs with incredibly different power? there has to be more factors than that.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ford has too many parasitic losses going on in the driveline dept. I dunno...maybe our brakes are too tight.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Power to weight ratio has alot to do with it. A couple hundred pounds can go a long way I guess.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I thought this was a joke thread. Honda's are fast.

I SERIOUSLY doubt it ran a 12.5 w/ 180 hp and weighed in at 21xx #s. That just seems to defy physics.

hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)'3

Using my trusty ricer calculator, a 2100 lb car w/ a 200 lb person driving it (or 2150+150) would need to put down about 233 hp.

Now, an 1700 lb car w/ a 100 lb twig driving it, could pull a 12.5 w/ 182 hp.

But still... Honda's = fast.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by everyone-needs-a-clear-focus:
yea, i mean, they can make a difference. but do they really justify the incredibly close ETs with incredibly different power? there has to be more factors than that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YES

ive seen a 450whp turbo VR6 golf run [email protected]
and the same car on FAT slicks run [email protected] or so....its a HUGE difference when youre at those power levels.

Also the faster you go, the harder it gets

For that honda you saw to go down from 12.5 to 11.8 will take A HUGE difference in power and weight

The right slicks on toms car will EASILY drop 1 second off his 1/4 mile time...but he is also still using the mafs style of management, which is iffy if you ask me, as he;s been having issues with it last year, but maybe its better this time around...

THere is no reason why he shouldnt be in the 11's right now

also look at the trap speeed, both are just as equaly important, time and speed.

That honda probably went [email protected]
If tom runs a 12.5 he does it at like 115mph...HUGE difference

[ 04-15-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah I think foci can be fast it is just a factor of getting new final drive and getting light and little power.....I also know that honda has had much more time to develope parts for integras then foci....but yeah hondas are fast if you do it right but so can a focus some one just needs to prove it

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
One word. Gearing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Originally posted by icemanZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by focusdchaos:
One word. Gearing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You took the word right outta my mouth!!

EXACTLY..
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">beat me to it. ever hear one of them things go buzzin down the street? sounds like their dropping down some serious power and yet they're only goin like 45 mph. the gearing makes a LOT of difference. maybe Naz would like to add a little to the gearing idea? (since he changed his, I think)

G

·
0 Posts
Why Honda is fast ? Because of their engineering and their experience from building small engines in lawn mower and motorcycles.

=dRe=

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Kitsune:
aerodynamics perhaps
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

No.

304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, this has all shed some light on it for me. it just makes me consider honda majorly as my next car. the only thing probably preventing me from buying one as my next car, is that i want a car thats fast how it is since i will be goin to college and wont be spendin much money on parts for it.

damn gearing....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Those little Honda motors haven't got much torque, but they can rev pretty high, so they have gearing that's more favorable for racing than ours.

So I'd say it's a combination of gearing and weight.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
Originally posted by DagoFocus:
so, what if the focus engine had variable valve timing like the honda engines
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">anyone got that dyno chart where vtec kicks in?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Originally posted by svo_dave:
I highly doubt the civic weighed 2100 pounds
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why do you say that? I have alot of experience with Hondas, the CX hatch from the 92-95 weighs in the 2000's the DX weighs around 2100 and the Si is in the 2300's, imagen if the car was gutted, which it probably was considering they were all out dragging it! the older hatches that are basically a CRX can weigh as little as 1986lbs. There was a completely stock Type R engine swap in a Lotus Elise and it ran a 12.9 in SSC mag i believe that was on street tires too. A GSR integra(2600lbs.) with stage 2 cams, slicks, exhaust, header, and intake has ran into the 13's before.....so why wouldn't a car that weighs 500 less with a higher Hp engine run into the 12's?

People are funny they haven't even seen the magazine and they say, i doubt that happened or, no it's impossible! Well it did happen!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts