Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's my question. Not that I'd mind a supercharger, but turbo's just sound better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Given the placement of the stock cat they would suck. Carb numbers are a long wait and who really cares anyway? Just go back to stock for the inspection.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Something setup like the Aerocharger could be made CARB legal as it leaves the emissions stuff intact. The fueling apparently can be addresed with a chip and injectors (ala Vortech) and be CARB legal. Of course it's the jumping through hoops and cost of CARB approval the keep most of the smaller firms from bothering.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i guess that no one has ever heard of F-Max. this is the only street legal turbo kit on the market.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
FMax is street legal in quite a few places, however the question was about CARB legal. CARB is the California Air Resources Board aka smog nazi's. They have people who drive and wtite down your plate number if your smokes too much and then send you a nasty letter (I used to drive a '72 MBZ diesel and got them all the time.) Their rules have as much to do with collecting fee's as they do clean air. In CA the sniffer test is just one small of a smog check, they go over every emmisions item on the vehicle... even the gas cap
. No turbo kit have paid the fees to be deemed "legal" in CA. The expense of the JRSC and Vortech I'm sure are in no small due to CARB certification.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Find someone who lives in AZ or NV and register it there then you won't have to worry about the emmisions. Man I hate CA, not looking forward to moving back there

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
i guess that no one has ever heard of F-Max. this is the only street legal turbo kit on the market.
What makes the F-Max street legal but the Bell not? Other than the fact that nobody on FocalJet appears to have gotten one... Similarly, what would make the Aerocharger any less legal than the F-Max? Assuming you could get one, of course.

·
I have a golden finger
1,834 Posts
Find someone who lives in AZ or NV and register it there then you won't have to worry about the emmisions. Man I hate CA, not looking forward to moving back there
the problem with that is, you have 10 days to register your car here after you establish residency (which they graciously give you 30 days to do)...a lot of people have thought of doing that becayuse of the VLF, trying to use that as a loop hole to not have to pay it...

but like Cam said, all kinds of things are checked, and more than half the time, they pop the hood and do a visual inspection, and since the the cat is right there in front... they see it missing, or relocated, its an automatic fail

1 - 12 of 12 Posts