Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, why does it feel like I need to shift to a higher gear when I'm on the interstate doing about 75mph and I'm already in 5th gear... To me it just sounds like the car wants another gear or something...what should the rpm be reading at that spee? Mine reads just above the 3000 mark. Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
thats strange. ill can take my zx3 to 88mph in 3rd

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I can take my zx3 up to 88 in third, but it doesn't really feel right cruzing at that speed...feels like it want's more...feel right accelerating though!

·
Registered
138 Posts
highest i ever took it in 3rd was 91mph but i hit my rev limiter at 7000rpm

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by the way, can't you blow the engine by going that fast on stock internals in such a low gear? I've read about people blowing there engines at arount 5500 rpms...Just wondering if it's safe...I personally wouldn't do it without cams and cam gears and eagle rods...to be safe

·
Registered
138 Posts
just dont bang the rev limiter it will hurt the valves

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean by don't "bang" the reb limiter?

and besides...we're getting off topic...

but that's ok

·
Registered
138 Posts
it means by keep on hitting the rev limiter and stay on the rev limiter. it will mess with you valve clearance

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But is it normal that It feels like the car needs another gear or something...Do any of you feel like that cruzing at 75mph on fith?

·
Registered
138 Posts
its because a lot of cars don't cruse as high as rpm as the focus doing 75 in 5th

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well is the high revs bad for the engine or engine life...I travel alot you see! I go to school nearly 4 hours away from home!

however I only go home about 1 or twice a month...I do travel alot to other places though!

[ 09-03-2002: Message edited by: RicanStyleZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
138 Posts
no because ford designed to be like that, so you don't have to worry
its just the gear ratio for but in the focus

·
Registered
294 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by donszx3:
its because a lot of cars don't cruse as high as rpm as the focus doing 75 in 5th<hr></blockquote>

Feel lucky a tad above 3 for a four cyl is pretty good. Try a prelude vtec sometime...80 = 4500 rpm....thats some sweet gearing!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'm just used to driving my parents V6's all the time...

Oh well, thanks for all you guys help!

·
Registered
98 Posts
5th Gear at 3k going 70 mph is about right. That's what I'm running in my automatic. I know where you are coming from. In most cars I have driven the overdrive gear usually brings the rpms back down to 1500 rpms or so. Your motor is just reving higher than you may be used to. But don't worry none.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts