Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive been doing research forever, and i think its unanimous that the Volant is one of the best intakes out there.
But i jus don't understand how its any differnt than a regular short ram intake, except that it has that heat shield housing around the cone filter?
If im going to shell out 250$ on an intake i jus want to know why its so much better, as opposed to sumtin like an Iceman which i could use in conjunction with my K&N filter.

Also is the Volant an easy install, cuz i dont have a lot of tools but i really need an intake now that i have my FS sport exhaust

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
it's plastic which means less heat soak, it fits perfectly, the cover for the filter protects it from more heat soak, it can be used with the stock air inlet for that much more air, etc.

just a good package deal

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it sound? and is it gonna act more like a short ram or CAI in terms of torque gains (low end-top end), or sumwhere in between?

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
plastic does not mean less heat soak.

if anything, it heat soaks just as much as an the FS cool flo, the, FC ram air, any shor ram intake and even the aem CAI.

just cuz its plastic doesn't make it heat proof.

if u want less heat soak, u get a PX.

·
4,287 Posts
plastic does not mean less heat soak.

if anything, it heat soaks just as much as an the FS cool flo, the, FC ram air, any shor ram intake and even the aem CAI.

just cuz its plastic doesn't make it heat proof.

if u want less heat soak, u get a PX.
no, nothing is heat-proof, but plastic is more insulative than some of the metals seen used in intakes.

my personal experience with shorties: i had a MAC for about a year. excellent fit and finish, but it left the filter exposed to the hot engine temps. in hotter weather, the car would bog down so bad that i put the stock intake back on. yeah, it was great at WOT in high RPMs, but everything else sucked. once i got the volant on it was trouble-free through the whole RPM range.

Mike

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
the volant does real well compared to the intakes in that price range......the pipercross viper does the best for temperatures but you're paying alot more money for it......I ended up doing that I love it, but the volant supposedly does better then the others: cool flow, aem, ect..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Volant.
when at idle you can hear the intake pulling in air
but not as loud as the AEM. Lower RPMs are still quiet yet
you can tell something is there. more lower grunt than the
AEM in powerwise"

Higher RPMs the volant is not THAT loud. it seems to lack
higher end power compared to the AEM. BUT it seems to keep
pulling in air, compared to where the AEM would start to stumble, which IMO is better.
I bet if you added a simple little preheater hose to the end of the volant to run behind the headlight like this:

you would see more power at higher rpms jus like the AEM. Ok im satsified I'm positive the Volant is worth the money now.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
lol, that doesn't seem like a bad idea for the money....I still like the look of the px though, and the performance.......but I would love to see the temp. of the volant w/that hose coming off the end of it

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
the temp. of the volant isn't going to change much even with tht hose on the end b/c it still heat soaks due to its materials.

the PX does not heat soak b/c of the CF kevlar metarials that resist heat soak far better then plastic.

all that hose is doing on the volant is getting more air into the filter. and i bet its not even getting that much in there with the way it has to be routed where he has it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the temp won't change much, but the concept of the hose is the same thing as a true CAI like AEM, colder denser air from outside the engine bay. Right now i have jus a K&N filter and i removed the stock airbox resonator, and in its place added a 2" preheater hose ($3 at Napa) to run behind the headlights. And i defintely felt the differnce with jus that and combined with my FS sport exhaust it pulls nicely all the way to the rev limiter.
Here's the Differnce

No doubt the pipercross is better, but is 100$ gonna make that much of a differcne?

·
Registered
859 Posts
A Volant with the Ram air scoop and custom lower duct entrance will beat the Piper. I can't believe how cool my intake temps are.

·
Registered
766 Posts
To bad no one (as far as I know) has measured REAL intake temps on these set-ups. This is all pretty much speculation based on theory AND performance measurements based on the butt dyno, which I swear is the most accurate dyno there is.

·
4,287 Posts
To bad no one (as far as I know) has measured REAL intake temps on these set-ups. This is all pretty much speculation based on theory AND performance measurements based on the butt dyno, which I swear is the most accurate dyno there is.
very true, good sir, very true.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does the open top of the Volant somehow seal "closed" against the hood or does in stay open to engine bay, i.e., hot, air?

Regarding the ram air scoop that fits over the top of the Volant opening and routes over and in front of the battery, can anyone recommend a source for this besides Volant ($$) direct.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Does the open top of the Volant somehow seal "closed" against the hood or does in stay open to engine bay, i.e., hot, air?

Regarding the ram air scoop that fits over the top of the Volant opening and routes over and in front of the battery, can anyone recommend a source for this besides Volant ($$) direct.
Thanks
The Good Hood does seal right up against it the Volant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm guessing "good hood" is a brand name?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have no idea what the "Good Hood" is but the Volant does seal against the hood with the included rubber gasket.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts