Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have apparantly had the Dodge Sprinter for a while now? I've just learned it is only now comiming to Canada. If my family expands or I start a business or any other thing where I need a van I'm all over this thing!

http://www.dodge.com/sprinter/?context=trucks&type=sprinterImg

[ 01-30-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: 2001 ZTS ]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I read about it in one of the car magazines a while back, but not as a dodge, just that it was coming to the U.S. and is essentially a Mercedes. The only place I have seen them on the road is as FedEx trucks. Freightliner I believe sells them too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by pitchblackzx3:
...Kinda fugly too!...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I love fugly! or as I prefer to call it ecentric. Pre-Paul Hogan Subaru's, Saabs any French car, VW cargo vans even the Focus fit the bill.

EDIT: 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel 154Hp & 243ft-lbs.

[ 01-30-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: 2001 ZTS ]

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ok, after looking it over I really like it. 2.7 liter common rail direct injection diesel. 22mpg city (higher highway though they wuoldn't say how much. Extremely durable interior materials. The smallest one has seating for 8, can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor (with the seats out) it's all mercedes design and it's assembled by freightliner. The bloody thing should last for 500K miles. Short wheelbase model will tow a race car and starts at $27K. I'm sold, where do I pick it up?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by familyman:
Ok, after looking it over I really like it. 2.7 liter common rail direct injection diesel. 22mpg city (higher highway though they wuoldn't say how much. Extremely durable interior materials. The smallest one has seating for 8, can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor (with the seats out) it's all mercedes design and it's assembled by freightliner. The bloody thing should last for 500K miles. Short wheelbase model will tow a race car and starts at $27K. I'm sold, where do I pick it up?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

$27K is cheaper than the VW Eurovan right?

Anyone know towing capacity? It says 3600lb of passenger and cargo so I assume a 2500lb boat a a family of four is possible?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Originally posted by 2001 ZTS:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by familyman:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

$27K is cheaper than the VW Eurovan right?

Anyone know towing capacity? It says 3600lb of passenger and cargo so I assume a 2500lb boat a a family of four is possible?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's 3600lbs inside the van. I expect towing to be at least 5000 lbs though the web site doesn't say.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I actually think this was posted here before (I've seen it before, but it could have been posted on a different board). Anyways,
finally a Euro van coming here. What we need now are Citroen, Renault and other vans... They look funky, are very manuverable, driver positions and ergonomics are usually excellent. IMO, they make way more sense than pickup trucks or real vans for small businesses.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something else. A VW camper type arrangement of the Sprinter is/will be available through Westphalia and called the "James Cook" (as in James Cook Travel of the UK):

http://www.dcx.net/customer/commercial_achievement2_e.htm

EDIT: First Mod! "Euro Grills", ditch the Dodge "crosshair" design and drop in the Mercedes piece. Actually it looks OK as is.

I'm surprised the photoshoppers haven't "done it up" yet.
yes that is a challenge!

[ 01-30-2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: 2001 ZTS ]

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
It might not look like what you expect from Dodge, but it still drives and works like a Dodge.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">haha, they say that on the website. it makes it seem like they are kinda uneasy about how the public will recieve it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Jared:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> It might not look like what you expect from Dodge, but it still drives and works like a Dodge.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">haha, they say that on the website. it makes it seem like they are kinda uneasy about how the public will recieve it.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's rarely smart to get something the first model year (though it's been around for many) but in this case it may be a good idea.

Getting in early will ensure you get it in its purest Mercedes/European spec form and before it is "improved"
, so they say, to appeal to the North American market. No doubt the things I would like best about would be the first to go and the end result would be just another Big 3 van with no flair.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ed, what do you know about the towing capacity on these suckers? Tell me all you know about them and their variants. I'm pretty excited about this as a kid hauler/work van/tow vechicle. It should be able to do it all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmm....I'm not too sure about the towing capacity, but I saw plenty of Sprinters in Germany towing HUGE loads. Obviously you can't tow like you would with a Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel, but the thing can be equipped in high GVW ratings.

There are numerous variants. There are both passenger and cargo version, each available with your choice of high or low roof. There are 1500 and 2500 versions as well.

They come in three wheelbases - 118", 140", and 158". The 158" 2500 version can be had with dually rear wheels.

All US Sprinters come with the Mercedes-Benz 2.7 liter CDI turbodiesel engine. This has 155hp. Not a lot, but it does have respectable torque. All are equipped with a Mercedes-Benz 5-speed automatic with tiptronic.

These things are identical to the European version in every way, save for badging. Even the steering wheel is pure Mercedes - the US versions simply substitute the star emblem with either a Freightliner or Dodge logo - and that logo is separate from the airbag cover so it's replaceable with the Mercedes emblem.

There's a Yahoo group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/ and these people are rabid enthusiasts - almost as much as people are here at focaljet. If you look at the gallery section, there are some, ahem, interesting Americanized Sprinters there.

Well, seeing as how the Sprinter effectively replaces the Ram Van, this isn't surprising. It won't be long before we see Sprinter conversion vans!! In fact, there are pics of a few in that gallery - they look SO weird. German delivery van looks with American conversion van graphics, wheels, and ground effects.

Ed

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.sprinteraccessories.com/

I see a nice motorcycle ramp in there, with the high roof version I wouldn't even have to duck.
550 miles between fill ups.

That site also sells a tow hitch and it says (EDIT:) 5000 trailer weight, and 500 tongue weight. Thats enough to tow your Focus and any sailboat I could afford.

Like "family man" said. Looks like a real do everything vehicle, more SUV than what are commonly called SUV's. There I said it!

[ 01-30-2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: 2001 ZTS ]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts