Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 58,575 miles and my warranty expires at 60k. So I bring in my car to get my misaligned 3rd gear synchronizer replaced.
They call me up and tell me my warranty has been voided by a Ford inspector because they ASSUME that I race the car. Take a look

They kept bringing up the wheels, suspension, intake and exhaust. I mean really, I understand where they're coming from, but what does any of that have to do with a misaligned synchro?? NOTHING. I told them about the jet and that alot of people have problems with synchros. They didnt want to hear it. They said my mods added stress to the tranny. To them, I race the car, even though I drive slower and more careful now than when the car was stock because Im afraid Ill bend a rim or lose the lip.
They even complained about my stereo system (it is a little overkill though
).

See the gauge? They asked me "if you dont race then why do you have that gauge?" Its a friggin VOLTMETER!!

Lesson to be learned, dont think Ford is going to see eye to eye with you concerning your mods. I dont really care, but if I had alot of miles left on the warranty I would be completely pissed.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Complain to the attorney general and the BBB and get a lawyer on them. You could also try another dealership. As long as you have bolt ons that are installed correctly they must honor the warranty.

·
Registered
506 Posts
"They assume you race" You need to get that in writing.

You only had 1500 miles left on the warranty so I don't really know if it's worth fighting.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
They have to prove that your driving habits did the damage, since they say you race, Make sure to get it in writing!
Then sue the ass off of them [censored]ers!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It boils down to the fact that the dealership has to prove your mods caused the problem. They are assuming too much, and therefore you have a good case to fight it.

But man, that's petty for them to be putting up this much fuss when you're so close to your warranty expiring.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
go to a different dealer for service. They don't have to prove [censored]. been there done that. if they say they won't cover it, they won't cover it...so time to find a new service dept before ur warranty is up.

who ever came up with that they have to prove it??? I mean that's what I thought...but that's definetly not true...

·
Registered
556 Posts
DEALERSHIPS WILL D!#$ YOU AROUND!!
I had a friend with an eclipse spyder & they voided his warrenty when his motor for the top went out cause of his sterio - they said he messed with the electrical system. This is why I didn't get the extended warrenty - cause their all @$$ holes

I feel yah brutha

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
They're a real PITA on that third gear syncro crap.... I say demand the refusal in writing... that outta get em to shut up and fix your car!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have 58,575 miles and my warranty expires at 60k. So I bring in my car to get my misaligned 3rd gear synchronizer replaced.
They call me up and tell me my warranty has been voided by a Ford inspector because they ASSUME that I race the car. Take a look

They kept bringing up the wheels, suspension, intake and exhaust. I mean really, I understand where they're coming from, but what does any of that have to do with a misaligned synchro?? NOTHING. I told them about the jet and that alot of people have problems with synchros. They didnt want to hear it. They said my mods added stress to the tranny. To them, I race the car, even though I drive slower and more careful now than when the car was stock because Im afraid Ill bend a rim or lose the lip.
They even complained about my stereo system (it is a little overkill though
).

See the gauge? They asked me "if you dont race then why do you have that gauge?" Its a friggin VOLTMETER!!

Lesson to be learned, dont think Ford is going to see eye to eye with you concerning your mods. I dont really care, but if I had alot of miles left on the warranty I would be completely pissed.

http://www.minimania.com/MM/The_Magnuson_Moss_Act.htm

<font color="red">FANNING FEARS

You want to upgrade your vehicle with aftermarket equipment, but you’re worried about putting the vehicle’s warranty at risk. It’s no wonder. How many times have you heard someone of a dealership say that installing aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed – though it is completely false.

Fact: Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS

Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you’ve installed aftermarket equipment – a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened – because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer’s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove – not just say – that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS

Point out to the dealer the provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act- Require that he explain to you how the aftermarket equipment caused the problem. If he can’t – or his explanation sounds questionable – it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Fact: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FCT at (202) 326-3128.

FEDERAL LAW

‘In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty. Such rules . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.’ – Magnuson-Moss Warranty & Federal Trade Commission improvement Act, Section 2302(a)</font>

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Your protection:
Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975.</font>
Here's a better one for you that you can shove back into their faces.

Get a hold of a current Ford Racing catalog and ask, if this is the case, why then does Ford offer similar aftermarket parts for the Focus, such as body kits, the Jackson Racing supercharger, wheels, etc. Then see what they say.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
DON'T!!!!

Ford Racing parts DO NOT fall under warranty protections!!!!!!!

Just cause ford sells and installs em, does not mean that they are warrantable........

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've read the warranty information. basically, it says that just because Ford installs the thing, doesn't mean they warranty the thing. They can only warranty the install, not the product. If the product causes a failure, then Ford is not under any liabilty whatsoever unless it was due to a faulty installation. Only the manufacturer of the product is responsible for the warranty on the product or, if in the event of a failure, is responsible for repair of any failures caused *directly* by the product unless otherwise noted or stated IN WRITING.

In other words, if you put on an exhaust and your stock stereo wigs out, they can't deny coverage because the 2 systems have nothing to do with each other. but if you modify your suspension and the CV joints give out, then they can deny coverage because it directly alters the original specifications as set by Ford and/or the manufacturer.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Russ, sorry to hear about your dilemma. I had some problems with my dealer concerning my JRSC, but in the end I still got it covered. Just raise hell, make sure people are around, get it in writing...and write the owner a detailed letter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh well, I call Ford and all that but I just keep getting the runaround. I cant go to another dealer because my warranty comes up void as soon as they punch my name in the syatem. Im not even going to sweat it. I used to go to another dealer, but they closed down. I miss that place. The manager used to urge me to get a s/c, they were real cool.
I dont want to waste my time getting the run around so just to be a pain I demanded a refund for the unused portion of the warranty, I dont care if its 10 dollars

1 - 16 of 16 Posts