Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm guessing this would be an F/I topic cuz I'm working it for an F/I setup, but if im wrong, i'm sorry.

Anyway, I was looking into wideband 02 sensors on ebay. Now, I know about the AEM Eugo, and how it has the gauge to read off of, and the LM-1 has that little display hand-pod. I also saw some o2 sensors with the sensor, and harness, then some loose wires...possible analog inputs.

My question was: Can you buy just an o2 sensor setup that can be used only to plug into your labtop and get readings from there? I don't want a gauge to mount and look out of place.
AND, is it possible to hook up the wideband sensor to the narrowband generic pro-m gauge and have THAT gauge get its reading from the wideband 02?

heres a pic of what i was looking at.

ebay
it says it needs to be used with a stand alone ecu...that referring to a PECTEL system, or equivalent?

heres another interest.

Its the PLX system. any use on our cars? with PRP??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i guess what you mean is can you use a wideband sensor and goto the laptop as its more accurate? I would think so a guage is only for you to look at, also are you thinking replace the O2 sensor /w it as you mention o2 several times?
I would use both and take the wideband out when not logging from it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i have an extra bung to use the wideband with, but i was wondering if anyone knew if this was possible...hook this kinda of setup to a labtop and use it to record and analyze along with the SCT PRP.

In theory, it sounds like ti should work, but i didnt know if anyone has any kind of experience with setups like these.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
yeah its sounds no different than my aem setup if i were to use the 2 wire they have to log to a laptop so I dont see why not, you just wont use a guage.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am logging wideband on my laptop from the LC-1 with no gauge at all. You only need it when tuning, so it is included in my data logs only.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Just curious.. what are you going to use to interface with the laptop? You can't just stick the two wires into the USB port. Do you have a datalogger that accepts analog inputs? You have to have a wideband controller, there is no way I can see around that. But if your talking about having a wideband sensor + controller + logger and just getting it to your laptop, yea it's totally doable.

I use the FJO (I ended up buying an LCD gauge and stuck it in the glove compartment for real time readings at all times. But I log to my PC all the time. That PLX should do fine as well.

As for the AEM and not using the gauge. I thought the gauge WAS the controller???

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I use the FJO (I ended up buying an LCD gauge and stuck it in the glove compartment for real time readings at all times. But I log to my PC all the time. That PLX should do fine as well.
Hey I was looking at the FJO also this weekend. I need to log AFR, TPS, MAF, IAT by RPM over TIME . With your expierence can the FJO do that?

Does the device plug into a laptop to dump the log data? and does the bundled software Graph the data? Or can it be exported to excel, etc?

I know you're not support for FJO but I trust your expierence opinion of the device before I buy..

Thanx in advance Bel

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
sounds like you need a SCT XCal2 to do some data logging.... thats got the analog inputs for the wideband on it.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
DJ.. the FJO only does wideband no other logging. I log the FJO with the raptor datalogger. I do not think they offer any logging at all, strictly the analog output.

As for the unit, I can't speak enough about the quality of the controller. If you want something beefy, this is the unit! Solid as a rock and real time logging, no sample rates to deal with. So that's kinda nice... but unfortunately they've not ventured into the logging yet that I'm aware of sorry.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I already have the Diablo Predidator & software for the SVT Focus that i tune with now . it data logs but for some reason it doesn't even have a TPS parameter ...

so is the SCT Xcal also a flash/tuner? if it is it would cost too much for me since i already have the Diablo PRedidator.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Yea it's probably not up your alley since you already have the diablo. But that TPS is kinda important!

·
Registered
515 Posts
i have the LM-1 and it takes up to 4 inputs for datalogging... it also has outputs from the sensor box so i ran one of the wires from the box to my pectel and set up the voltage for the correct A/F and ran the other to my autometer gauge so i have something to reference easily (green is good... red is bad)

now if all you want is a voltage signal you can send to your standalone or whatever you are running, innovative came out with a new o2 sensor that you can run independant of the LM-1... and its pretty cheap

what are you planning on using for tuning on the car and how bad do you want a visible gauge? i think thats what will dictate which wideband is best for you

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im tuning using the Xcal2 and PRP upgrade. I don't really care for a display gauge...I have a narrowband one up now...pretty much just for looks. What I wanted it for was strictly tuning. so that I dont have to waste hour after hour on a dyno...or at least cut down the expenses.

I know you can hook up two external analog signals to the xcal2, i'm just not sure if either of these will work. pices arent bad, so it cant hurt to find out. I just want to be able to use it when i go to tune everything else with the SCT PRP flasher version.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i have the LM-1 and it takes up to 4 inputs for datalogging... it also has outputs from the sensor box so i ran one of the wires from the box to my pectel and set up the voltage for the correct A/F and ran the other to my autometer gauge so i have something to reference easily (green is good... red is bad)

now if all you want is a voltage signal you can send to your standalone or whatever you are running, innovative came out with a new o2 sensor that you can run independant of the LM-1... and its pretty cheap

what are you planning on using for tuning on the car and how bad do you want a visible gauge? i think thats what will dictate which wideband is best for you
that's what i'll need then .. the LM-1 .. however i bet it's expensive .. i don't need a gauge, or anything visible. i only want it to log .. because i'm using a open loop map (of course) and with the crazy weather we have here, i'm still playing with building the perfect driveability tune for all humidities, iat and ect ..

tuning WOT is easy . it's the daily driven part that challenges you

so if i can just turn on the logger when i'm bored.. and look at MAF, IAT, TPS, RPM, AFR .. then i'd be sooooooooooo happy!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
you might have a problem with running a MAF... i think there is a way to have that datalogged and work with the lm-1 software but i have a map sensor and its way easier.. its just logs the A/F values at different RPM vs MAP on a table and averages the readings... not sure about the MAF but im sure they have worked something out with it

good luck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
1) The Basic Kit ($349) includes a the Meter, a Bosch wide-band oxygen sensor and cable, cigarette-lighter power adapter, serial cable for PC connection, 9V battery, exhaust bung and plug, CD and manual.

2) The RPM Kit ($429) is comprised of the basic kit plus the LMA-2 Auxiliary Input Cable. This cable contains a circuit to convert a tach signal into an analog RPM singal that can be logged by the LM-1. This cable also has 4 additional terminal screws to tap into and log other sensors in your vehicle.

3) The AuxBox Kit ($589) is comprised of the basic kit plus the LMA-3 Multi-sensor Auxiliary Input Expander Cable.
It looks like #2 is the one i want then .. for $429 it also includes the cheap bosche wideband o2 sensor .. is the bosche sensor okay to drive long distances with?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Dude.. it is cheap!!!

Bosch (LM1) = $50.00
NTK (FJO) = $190.00

And the heat thresholds are quite different as well. I think the Bosch is less than 1500 and the NTK is almost 1700

DJ.. whatever you do, make sure your mounting position is as vertical as possible and as far downstream as possible. The bosch is heat sensative and seems also to be sensative to the way it's installed. It needs to be as vertical as possible.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Dude.. it is cheap!!!

Bosch (LM1) = $50.00
NTK (FJO) = $190.00

And the heat thresholds are quite different as well. I think the Bosch is less than 1500 and the NTK is almost 1700

DJ.. whatever you do, make sure your mounting position is as vertical as possible and as far downstream as possible. The bosch is heat sensative and seems also to be sensative to the way it's installed. It needs to be as vertical as possible.
okay great .. i'll do that .. i already have a bung from the sensor for the dyno wideband . i was hoping to use that . it should be in a reuseable place .

i'm gonna order that lm-1 asap . i'm looking forward to cleaning up the road tune by datalogging afr across other sensors ..

i'm actually pretty excited

1 - 20 of 25 Posts