Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember there was a discussion on this a while ago but i can't seem to find it. anyway, my question is this. will a cat, stock or otherwise, survive after the installation of cams (be it single like the esslinger or a pair like crower)? if i remeber correctly the discussion pointed out that a stock cat would be toast after cams but nothing was mentioned in regards to an aftermarket cat. would it be possible to run an aftermarket cat or is an ORP/race header manditory?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long did it take before it went to hell?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
10k w/ford 1s tuned and 0,0, cat shows no signs of any issues (comes off and on alot for ORP swaps (track days))

stock header though thats key, shorty header=dead cat. still advise a random down the road. more power.

-Ult

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
My cat's gone at 50K.

Go-Fast mods as follows:
Intake resonator removal (in ford parking lot, no miles)
FocusSport Plug Wires (within 1st 1,000 miles)
AF/X UDP (12,000)
ITG ProFilter (15,000)
DiabloSport Performance Chip (23,000)

Other than that, all my mods are aesthetic, ICE, or handling. Intake is almost stock, exhaust IS stock.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Question: Why would a cat have a shortened life w/cams? is it extra heat? During "normal" operation there isn't any part of the cat that is consumed or worn out. I am not challenging this issue, just curious.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i dont think cams would toast a cat...if u have any doubts get aftermarket

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have an aftermarket cat (random tech), but i'm wondering if even it will hold up over time. it is bolted to a shorty header so i'm thinking that the combo with cams would be enough to kill it. if so i'll get a longtube and use the shory/random for smog purposes.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
random is the way to go i have to say that i lost some low end power but mid to high power gain was incredible.. LOVELY investment in a cat i think.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
random is the way to go i have to say that i lost some low end power but mid to high power gain was incredible.. LOVELY investment in a cat i think.
Same here!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but will it last with a shorty (which i've had for 8+ months) and cams (which i want)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts