Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
304 Posts
this is exactly what i am thinking. i dont know how it could really be that bad, but the price is almost too good to pass up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
its billet aluminum like all the other udp's out there, for much cheaper...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe that it may be painted steel compared to aluminum, so it may eventually rust, or at least lose its color. But I think they will work fine so I just ordered one from Ray at myfordperformance.com. Great service, give him a call and he will hook you up right!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Originally posted by sts-zx3:
I believe that it may be painted steel compared to aluminum, so it may eventually rust, or at least lose its color. But I think they will work fine so I just ordered one from Ray at myfordperformance.com. Great service, give him a call and he will hook you up right!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">even if it is, my anodizing has been gone on my FC pulley kit for a long time and they r already rusting. so, no matter what its gonna happen

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont care about the color. I'm not some kind of freak whole just stares at it through the wheel well every day.

So how about the weight? Does it weigh the same?

304 Posts
Originally posted by Fastwonder:
I dont care about the color. I'm not some kind of freak whole just stares at it through the wheel well every day.

So how about the weight? Does it weigh the same?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i believe it ways 8.8 ounces.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here's a picture of the Focus Central, Ford Racing and MAC pulleys side by side. All are 4" in diameter. The Ford Racing pulley is the lightest weighing in at 7 ounces. The Focus Central pulley from the 3 piece kit weighs 8.2 ounces and the MAC weighs 8.8 ounces.

The MAC is a painted product, not sure if it's steel or what... Where as the FR and FC pulleys are anonized aluminum. It's certainly not as fancy, and I have no numbers in terms of performance improvement, though MAC says it's a 4 HP gain. It's also nearly half as much as the FR or FC pulley kits. So a good alternative for people looking to say a few bucks for something which once installed, you can't really see anyway...

The Ford Racing and the MAC come with a new belt of course, because the are only the crank pulley. The Focus Central kits are now a 2 piece kit, crank and water pump, which allows you to use the stock belt.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Fastwonder:
Is there any reason why the Ford Racing one cost nearly two times as much as the MAC?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Couple reasons. It's Ford Racing, so you are paying for that name. It's also anodized aluminum that is machined, more attention payed to the cutting of the "cut-outs". The MAC is just a solid chunk of steel and painted...

To the best of my knowledge, the Ford Racing pulley is the Esslinger pulley, rebadged...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by KicknZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by sts-zx3:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">even if it is, my anodizing has been gone on my FC pulley kit for a long time and they r already rusting. so, no matter what its gonna happen
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't seem to understand how Al could become feO2 (Iron-oxide/rust)...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have this MAC UDP for almost 4 months now. I haven't spot any problem though. Yes, they are painted pulley. I don't think they'll fall apart. MAC has been in business for enough long time building Mustang aftermarket parts before Focus.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anybody given any thought to machining a bit out of the web of the MAC pulley? It seems to be beefy enough and it'd lighten it up...

304 Posts
Originally posted by Shevvvvv:
I have this MAC UDP for almost 4 months now. I haven't spot any problem though. Yes, they are painted pulley. I don't think they'll fall apart. MAC has been in business for enough long time building Mustang aftermarket parts before Focus.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i just ordered mine last night. what are the gains like on this? are they noticable? do you think it was better money spent than the 120+ for the other two brands? thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought one from Ray about a month ago & haven't had any problems since the install. It may not have the fit and finish of the more expensive udp's, but like it has been said before - who cares what it looks like, you can hardly see it from inside the engine bay anyway.

One thing I should mention is that I had to sand off all the paint from inside the hole to get it to fit. The hole was just a tad too small, probably due, in part, to the paint. Even after sanding, I still had to beat the hell out of it to get on all the way.
Also, if you end up buying it, make sure to trim the plastic piece around where the pulley is so it won't rub on the belt and destroy it.

With minor install quirks aside, I am satisfied with it. Better throttle response and a slight improvement in overall performance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Install tip I learned from Mustangs.

Boil the pulley on the stove in hot water before you install it. The aluminum will expand and it will slip right onto the crank (use gloves). Although your significant other may not appreciate it. Obviously you'll need a pulley puller to remove.

I also think the 7oz versus 8.8oz is fly**** in the grand scheme of street performance. I'm not convinved 3lbs versus 7oz is noticable in the real world. The gains come from the pulley size delta. Prove me wrong with data

·
Registered
406 Posts
jeezus.. pain and death? Over a UDP?? I think its time you bought a mitsubishi man...
MAC UDPs aren't bad from what I've heard...its your car, your money... don't let the resident yokuls influence ya..

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by RiceGrinder:
jeezus.. pain and death? Over a UDP?? I think its time you bought a mitsubishi man...
MAC UDPs aren't bad from what I've heard...its your car, your money... don't let the resident yokuls influence ya..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had a Mitsubishi 1G Eclipse GS. That car broke so many times that it turn me into a technician!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by JP:

I'm not convinved 3lbs versus 7oz is noticable in the real world. The gains come from the pulley size delta. Prove me wrong with data
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">F=M*A (Also Known as Newton's second law of motion)

Where F= Force (in newtons), M = Mass (in Kilograms), and A = Acceleration (in meters/per second ^2). So simple math, if you have less mass it takes much less Force for the same accleration of an object, since the mass is multiplied. So, a little conversion here;
Newtons to Ft/pounds = 1N = .225 ft/pounds
Kg to Lbs = 1Kg = 2.205 lbs
Acclertaion we will use as a constant - 1 G of acceleration 10 meters/sec ^2 (10 cuz its a round number instead of 9.80957)
So we have:
Stock 3 lbs (guess)
F = 1.361kg * 10
F= 13.61 Newtons or 3.06 Ft/ pounds

UDP
8.8 oz call it 8 to make things easy
F= 0.227kg * 10
F = 2.27 Newtons or .51 ft/ pounds

Net gain is 2.55 ft/pounds at every RPM assuming the crank is accelerating at 1G.

Now this is not exactly what is happening, since rotational masses involve more complex math to account for the weight distance from the center of rotation and so on (and the UDP has the advantage there as well since the mass is closer to the center), but it does convey the general idea....

And now back to our regularly scheduled program....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts