Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to build my exhaust, so....
will a traditional style muffler fit under the focus. It looked kinda small and I am afraid I am stuck with a canister style.

Looking toward the flowmaster delta flow 40.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
What do you mean by "traditional"? An oval muffler won't fit next to the gas tank. But round glass-pack-style mufflers will. They're much closer to a stock muffler than they are to the ricer canisters.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
You could fit one or two long perf-core resonators in the center tunnel, than a Flowmaster (or other, more restrictive, traditional designs) out back where the lunchbox used to go.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If you had a wagon you could easily fit a flowmaster. A sedan would be a challenge and a hatch i'd say no way.

·
19,806 Posts
...and a hatch i'd say no way.

Well, I just went out and had a look. It would have to be a really, really short Flowmaster.

Now, just forward of the rear axle, an oval style or even a Flowmaster might be fitted if it were clocked on it's in/out axis; in other words, hung there on a slant with one side lower than the other.

Of course, you'll never know for sure until the car's on a lift at a knowledgeable shop.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Now, just forward of the rear axle, an oval style or even a Flowmaster might be fitted if it were clocked on it's in/out axis; in other words, hung there on a slant with one side lower than the other.
The RS8 uses dual ovals like that. But it has no gas tank in the way.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The RS8 uses dual ovals like that. But it has no gas tank in the way.
To expand.

Rip out your gas tank put a fuel cell in the car and then you'll have room for whatever muffler you want.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Rip out your gas tank put a fuel cell in the car and then you'll have room for whatever muffler you want.
from what i understand, that's easier said than done with a returnless fuel system...I personally plan on converting my motor over with an aftermarket fuel rail and regulator because instead of this motor going into a focus, there's a desert ranger in it's future and I need a cell since there's no bed and i need the travel room for the 3 link.

so...who wants to convert first...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, you'll never know for sure until the car's on a lift at a knowledgeable shop.
Im sorry, I know thats the mentality of this board, but I don't understand why.

Anyway....it is going on a hatch and that pretty much confirmes my suspesion.

·
19,806 Posts
What does the "mentality of the board" have to do with anything?

I say knowledgeable as in experienced because there are many things to consider and tricks to tube bending and welding, let alone muffler fitment.

Go ahead and do it yourself, but unless you're an experienced welder/fabricator, be prepared for rattles and/or exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
z63r is absolutely correct on the matter of leaving this exhaust in the hands of profesionals.

Ford did not leave much room for error under the focus. And even less room on a duratec car due to the larger fuel tank.

Either have a good exhaust shop make you a custom setup, or buy a catback.

There is not a whole lot you can do in your driveway.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Well, yeah. I suppose if you have a mandrel bender, TIG welder, hydraulic lift, and yards of 2.5" stainless tubing in your garage, and you happen to work at a muffler shop for a living, you could make a pretty decent setup by yourself.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Well, yeah. I suppose if you have a mandrel bender, TIG welder, hydraulic lift, and yards of 2.5" stainless tubing in your garage, and you happen to work at a muffler shop for a living, you could make a pretty decent setup by yourself.
He could very easily do it with buying pre bent tubing sections. Could be aluminized or stainless. And a mig welder.

But it's not worth it on this car. I've already made an exhaust(with professional assistance) which rattled like crazy after 6 months.

It's easier just to buy a catback. Or at least start with tru bendz piping kits.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well since some people still think you have to buy something for it to work,

I own 3 welders, yes one is a mig. I have access to a TIG. I own a pipe bender and have a buddy with a tubing bender, but like stated above, buy prebent pieces and weld them. Ive never worked at a muffler shop,but low and behold I know how to bend pipe/tube. I don't have a hyd lift but I do have a hyd jack and some tall a$$ jack stands that I use on on my rockcrawler.
If it leaks, spot weld it. If it rattles, brace it.

I know yall don't mean to be hatin, so lets fell some love.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i had a muffler shop bend me my exhaust system hks style with the muffler angled out the same way. it looks badass until a freaking curb rear ended me.
the thing crushed like a soda can. my car ran the exact same way after that, but since the muffler is so visible, it bothered me to the point that i had to replace it. (the next day) i now have the crushed muffler hanging up on my wall.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They shouldn't let those curbs have licenses.

I want to keep the muffler in the stock location.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
They shouldn't let those curbs have licenses.

I want to keep the muffler in the stock location.
It seems that curbs are out to get those maxwell house style mufflers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts