Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait'll you see the front half done- fitted up the door bars last night, need to finish the windshield gussets. I got the dash bar in there so tight I'm going to have to leave a removable panel someplace just to prove it's there. You can't get a finger behind the front downbars all the way from the main hoop to the bottom of the A pillar.
Cage is built by myself and a friend w/ more equipment than my shop has- Mad Mark's Welding Service, Walworth, NY.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just curious, what class/club sanction is this cage being built for? As a SCCA ProRally Scrutineer, I see some missing components in the main loop area, although I understand the cage isn't done.
Looks great so far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This an SCCA IT cage, though it is based off the best rally cage I could find for stock type suspension. The diagonal is not installed yet in the pics, it will be added after fitting seat and painting most of the interior, as it makes access to the center of the car difficult. All tubing is 1.625x.120 DOM - a little heavier than necessary. Same with the mounting plates- 3/16", .080 is required. Door bars are bottom along rocker/top slants forward under armpit then angles forward past the hip, with vertical ties between. Tubular gussets at windshield. Snaked the dash bar in like it was supposed to be there. Will be totally hidden by the dash. When the door is closed, you can't tell the car even has a cage except for the rear brace in the side window. More pics tomorrow nite- car is back in my shop tomorrow.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm guessing that you'll weigh it when all is done???

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep- had the shell w/ motor no trans down to @1750 lbs before cage. Removed all sound deadening inside as you can see. Also removed the HUGE pad that wraps the firewall from top to bottom- almost 30 lbs worth of foam rubber. Some of it is still stuck behind the heater core. It'll stay! Yanking A/C later today, too. Expected minimum weight from SCCA will be @2400 lbs, so I'm in good shape. Wish NASA ran on the east coast- the USTCC runs this car @1820lbs!!!!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
nasa does run on the east coast. go to nasaracing.net for the va. chapter. i have run w/them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HPDE events only- the USTCC only had one event on this coast this past season, and they CANCELLED it!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I may be missing something about where you are running in SCCA, but don't cars need to be someting like at least 5 years old to run in Improved Touring?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I may be missing something about where you are running in SCCA, but don't cars need to be someting like at least 5 years old to run in Improved Touring?
You are correct.

Expected minimum weight from SCCA will be @2400 lbs, so I'm in good shape.
I think hes building it in preperation for the 2005 season...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote
I think hes building it in preperation for the 2005 season...

[/QUOTE]
Actually '06. Car will run in regional EMRA events till then. Hope to get the car pretty dialed by then, and we'll be involved in the classification process from the start. With the new competition adjustment system in IT, I think it's very important to get the car classified right in the first place or you run the risk of being a dog for a while. I want to push on some other issues too, like allowing reinforced lower rear arms for safety's sake.
I'll have the front half cage pics soon- left the memory stick in the damn camera last night.

Cheers!
Tom C.
Fountain Motorsports

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was mocking up some stuff today, took a few more pics. Enjoy!

can you spot the dash bar in this last one? Look just above the fuse block!

Tom C.
Fountain Motorsports

1 - 16 of 16 Posts