Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how the offset number plays into this as I believe the OE offset is 52. Everything is stock and just considering a modest upgrade to 16x7 et40 on P205/50/16. There's a lot of discussion on rubbing so I don't know if this is an issue when choosing a 16" wheel with a 40 offset for an '08 Focus SE - will the wheel still be inside the well or will it protrude out a bit? Are any additional parts/labour required to make this work? If anyone has pics on this setup, that will be handy. Thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I think it'd protrude just a tad or be flush. Not sure. Also I'm not sure if OEM suspension is stiff enough to keep you from rubbing on bumps/aggressive cornering. I'm sure there are people running that setups OD and offset on 17s, so I'm sure they can chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that Ford offers 16" rims on P205/50/16 (which keeps the wheel/tire diameter the same as the OE 15" on P195/60/15 at 24.2") as optional equipment on the '08 Foci but I'm not too sure about that 40 offset as I think the OE offset is 52. What then is the lowest offset I can use on stock springs w/o worry of rubbing? Most of the aft-market rims with the Foci bolt pattern range from et38 to et42. I'm just looking for a simple upgrade in wheel size to 16" but the aft-market offsets are quite a bit different from the OE offset. If anyone has any wheel suggestions with a higher offset available in the Bellingham, WA area, that would help too. Budget range would be $80-$125/ea. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The higher the offset number, the further in the inner rim lip is towards the suspension. The lower the offset number , the further outward the outer rim lip sits. A 42 et on a stock suspension should be just fine. A 38 offset, in general, pushes the outer lip of the rim just outside the fender line ( possibility of rubbing, as posted above, depending on how soft the stock suspension is/how much travel it has over things like speed bumps, pot holes, or steep driveway inclines). I you are keeping the tire height the same as stock and the rim width within an inch of stock, anything from 42 to 49 mm offset should work without problems.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Just curious, what wheels are they?

There are quite a few options for the 16" size. Rota makes TONS, Centerline, Enkei, Motegi, s*** i cant name them all. Do some searches in Rigz and see what other people are running.

A 16x7 et40 will work given you dont plan on doing a drastic lowering kit in the future. Many people run as or more aggressive wheel setups then that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for both of your feedbacks. I'm currently looking at Konig's Incident 16x7 et40 (4x108/100 bolt pattern) on P205/50/16 tires:

Anyone on this Forum running these? I'm also interested to find out how much these weigh but don't see such specs listed. I've seen more aggressive setups too on this Forum up to even 18"s with the entire rig upgraded springs, fenders rolled and all to make it work. In my case, I'm keeping everything else stock/simple (which doesn't seem all that simple after all). I've looked at CarDomain but haven't come across basic wheel upgrades with non-OEM offsets on stock suspension. I agree that et45 to et49 will probably work best but most wheels I've seen range mostly from et38 to et42 and then there's the budget question which limits my choices. I'm open to suggestions and will keep looking as to wheel choices. If anyone else has any other comments, that will be more than welcomed. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on shops in the Bellingham/Seattle, WA area, that would be helpful too. Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm running 17X7 wheels (42 offset) with 215/45/17 tires and a 2 inch drop on my 09 focus with NO rubbing what so ever. I know for sure you have plenty of room on the back wheels to run a 40 offset wheel but the front wheels is a different matter. From what I can tell on my current setup I do have some room to play with, not a whole lot, but there's room there. I think you'll be ok as long as you stay with a 205/50/16 tire but of course i'm not 100% sure on that.

I think there's a guy on FF with an 09 focus who's running some old Mustang wheels that have the 4x108 bolt pattern which I'm sure have an offset of 30 something, lol. I'll ask him what offset he's got and if he's rubbing at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks FMF. I read your reply in the other thread which is kind of related to my question. Your car looks slick by the way... too bad I don't have any plans to do anything with my springs right now to get that look. I agree that the rear will probably be okay since the well is pretty deep on the '08-'09 Foci. I'm guessing that your wheel setup of P215/45/17 will be pretty similar to a P205/50/16 in terms of overall wheel diameter/height. The only difference is in your tire width but your et42 wheel compensates for that by pulling it closer towards the suspension. I think that your setup will be a good reference to how similar an et40 wheel on P205 will line up with the fender with what you have there but again, like you raised, will the front be okay as well?

If you can take the trouble to check FF for the Mustang wheel offset and possibly offer a pic for reference, that will be much appreciated.

Nevertheless, your reply has helped me and others confirm/conclude that at the very least a 42 offset will work without rubbing front and rear on the '08-'09 Foci with a 0"-2" drop on both P205/50/16 and P215/45/17 (since they both have the same diameter). I will bear that in mind as I continue looking.

Thanks for sharing your ride!

·
Registered
522 Posts
^^^^ Here's a link to the thread on FF with the guy running 1988 Mustang wheels on his 08.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210834

He made the wheels work with a 1.5 drop and the wheels have a offset somewhere in the 25-30 range! If he can run that I'm pretty sure you can run your wheels, although he had to go to a 55 series tire and his wheels are 15's. Still I think If you stay with the stock suspension you'll def be fine with the 40 offset wheel and 205/60/16 tire.
The stock suspension on the 08+ Focus gives you a heck of alot of room to play with.
I haven't asked this guy his thoughts on a 40 offset wheel on stock suspension so I'll shoot him a PM tonight. I'll let you know what he says. Oh and thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbup: Thanks again FMF! You've been quick and more than helpful... really appreciate your time and contributions to this post. I look forward to hearing more from you but if "IF" doesn't get a chance to reply to your PM, thanks for your effort in any case. You have been of tremendous help to me and most likely others too on this topic. It appears very likely that an et40 will indeed work after all. I will provide an update when I get my new wheels. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
heyyy!!!! hopefully u guys read this
full metal focus and bustonit specifically since u guys have put the most tech in this thread
i want to get 17x7.5 rims they come in 40 and 45 offset
which would fit my car best 40 or 45 under the following circumstances?
-stock suspension
-drop of 1.6 inches in (a few months hopefully)

basically which would be the better offset if i went either way with my suspension.

example.
40 would work ONLY with stock and not 1.6 drop
and 45 would work with stock AND 1.6 drop

i found this idk about it though
http://www.fordboltpattern.com/Ford_Focus_Bolt_Patterns.html

·
Kyle Gave Me His Oklahoma Foot Disease!
11,279 Posts
Well that website is incorrect in the offset info that it has posted. It says the max offset is 42, which is incorrect. Stock 16 wheels are 52.2 mm offset, SVT wheels are 49, most aftermarket wheels you will find for our cars will be between 40-45 mm. If you are for sure going with a 7.5 inches wide wheel I'd suggest going 45 either way.

I'm guessing based on your join date that you have an 08+ car, right?

Heres a picture of a car with 16x7 40mm wheels with ~ 1.6 in drop:

·
Kyle Gave Me His Oklahoma Foot Disease!
11,279 Posts
And here is my car with 17x7.5 45 mm offset wheels. Now, this is with a lower drop, but you can see the difference in how far the wheel sticks out.

Now, obviously these are older cars, but it should at least give you guys some idea on what you're working with. The FocusSport (now FSWerks) Street Tuner Challenge car had 18x8 wheels so you can obviously go bigger, but what wheels you get just depends on how you plan on using the car and how stiff the springs are.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
very good guess i have a 09 sedan very good pictures as examples i was trying to draw up pictures on paper lol id drew a line as my center then centered a 6inch wheel and then did the same with a 7.5 wheel and then measured the offsets all on paper and marked everything but finally came to the conclusion that i did not know the distance of the suspension housing so i gave up and came here for answers
now just a question not saying that the svt and zx3 owners dont kno what the are talking about, but the new gen focus are not the same body style,
how do u kno the specs of wheels that will fit on the new body focus's ?
are the specs/distances the same?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you go kristina!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts