Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a list of NASA track records for both Time Trial and Some Racing.

A good Spec Focus car should run around 1:39 to 1:38
I would say for the fastest FJ Track Attack to run it should be around 1:33 or 1:31.

TTR Steve Bernheim 1997 Porsche 993 TT 1:26.89
TTU Michael Van Zandt 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo 1:29.45
TTA Patrick Lindsey 2001 Audi S4 1:29.48
TTB Keith Parker 1972 Corvette 1:33.12
TTC Greg Greenbaum 2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 1:33.99
TTD Greg Greenbaum 2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 1:36.54
TTE Shawn Meze 1980 VW Scirroco 1:39.47
TTF Dan Gardner 1991 Nissan NX2000 1:41.21

Racing Classes
SU Dwain Dement 01:25.002 Porsche 996
ASC Scott Rueschenberg 01:25.642 American Stock Car
AIX Ernesto Roco 01:28.932 Mustang Cobra
H4 Ryan Flaherty 01:35.614 Honda Civic Si
SER Jared Holdstein 01:37.669 Nissan SER

I know the times weren't all that fast at the Mid-Ohio event, and I expect to see great times here at Willow Springs because of the cars I expect to be there......The big question is "Will anyone break the 1.30 mark at Willow Springs in a Focus".

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
1:30 would be a bit of a stretch I think. Craig ran 1:32 in a 650hp STI before the engine let go. That was the 2nd fastest TT car there, only being bested by a 2006 Z06 on slicks.

MY gut feeling is 1:34 is real, it will be super friggen hot. If I can run a 1:34 with 1/2 the hp at that track and give up 2 seconds ...prob in about 10 to 15 degree more heat, I will be happy.

Wow just noticed 1:28 for a aix car!! Thats smokin!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it will depend on the heat.... But normally at Willow Springs the NASA TTU
and TTA cars run around 1:30.

If someone brings out a WC type Focus it might get around 1:32. with 280 hp and weighs only 2000lbs with a WC type suspension (aka 3-way adjustables, changed the mounting point and etc) they might be able to run that fast. I would think a top notch WC would run a sub 1:30 there. I believe a Tuner Motorsports BMW ran a 1:28.00 there last November is a test. Of course at Willow, the heat is such a big factor. Last year in September we did have a STi, Evo and a Audi S4 all run a sub 1:30.

It all depends on what cars type of cars that are going to be there. The only way to get that fast in a Focus is to be light and have $10,000 -$12,000 suspension. I know of one car that will be at the event with that type of suspension.

Even though we will be running in a NASA TT class… we will also have awards for the fastest Focus. This is something different then we had at Mid-Ohio.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m expecting both Marcy and FocusSport to come in with some High Horsepower cars and with a very good suspension on them. Better then anything that was at Mid-Ohio. Both FS and MM specialize in getting the most HP out of a Focus, and I'm sure we'll see it there. I expect F2/Gillis Motorsports to come in with a lightweight car with less HP, but with a great race suspension using their racing specialty in the suspension and weight. But, Willow is a high horsepower track, where Horsepower is king… It will be fun to watch.

I expect three totally different cars from the three major companies there. But, with all three being very fast just getting there a different why

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DanamaxSVT said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was Streets.
Yeah, that would be pretty fast for the big track.

The Streets of Willow isn't setup for racing..... So, it's hard for NASA to run there.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Ummm yea... Big Willow I ran a 1:48... I have never been so scared to go fast in my life :lol:

110+ Degree Temps with my car over heating
Plus the thought of Turn 9 !!!

I just didnt' drive it fast. I was fast through turns 3 through 7 and that's where I could hang with most. But turns 1, 2, 8 and 9 stole whatever cojones I thought I had.

Are you thinking of getting a focus in sub 1:30's at Big Willow????
You're only chance of that is a boosted focus. No way an NA focus is going to do that.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
belacyrf said:
You're only chance of that is a boosted focus. No way an NA focus is going to do that.

You might be surprised then! For Sure it will be a great event!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
belacyrf said:
Ummm yea... Big Willow I ran a 1:48... I have never been so scared to go fast in my life :lol:

110+ Degree Temps with my car over heating
Plus the thought of Turn 9 !!!

I just didnt' drive it fast. I was fast through turns 3 through 7 and that's where I could hang with most. But turns 1, 2, 8 and 9 stole whatever cojones I thought I had.

Are you thinking of getting a focus in sub 1:30's at Big Willow????

So, you think that the Fila Focus or Leo's WC Focus can't do a sub 1:30 at Willow?
I pretty sure they can.

Let's put it this way. The fastest time by a USTCC Car at Willow Springs was 1:28.45; The Fastest lap time for a USTCC car at Infineon is 1.51.36, Chip Herr did a 1:49.51 at Infineon in 2005. That being said I'm pretty sure a N/A Focus can do a sub 1:30 at Willow.... Now, I don't know if it will be at this event. But, it can't be done. Let's put it this way I would hope a WC Focus would do a sub 1:30 there.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
heat baby heat

I think anyone that run below 1:34 is doing good, this time of year. March or late october another story.

Seems that folks forget that we are talking about the all time low time, of all recorded laps. All the upper tier guys that always time. So out of 100s of cars run by many organizations this is the fastest time ever recorded no matter what air pressure, heat, ect.

Call me crazy, but I plan on running pretty hard. I dont expect earth shattering laps without some weather miracle. In the stang I have seen 4 seconds a lap changes, just to weather and tire wear at this track. What matters really is that we have a blast and really have the focus group have a nice show for the other cars and fans. We could have choosen a worse time for slower laps, just dont know how:lol:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slidemaster said:
heat baby heat

I think anyone that run below 1:34 is doing good, this time of year. March or late october another story.

Seems that folks forget that we are talking about the all time low time, of all recorded laps. All the upper tier guys that always time. So out of 100s of cars run by many organizations this is the fastest time ever recorded no matter what air pressure, heat, ect.

Call me crazy, but I plan on running pretty hard. I dont expect earth shattering laps without some weather miracle. In the stang I have seen 4 seconds a lap changes, just to weather and tire wear at this track. What matters really is that we have a blast and really have the focus group have a nice show for the other cars and fans. We could have choosen a worse time for slower laps, just dont know how:lol:
You're right about the heat. heat plays a big roll there. I just making a point about no way would a N/A Focus would EVER do a sub 1:30.

Now last year in Sept (and it was HOT 110+) and Patrick Lindsey in his Audi S4 (Similar to the USTCC S4s) did a 1:31 there along with a couple TTU and a TTA cars that where faster doing a 1:29. Patrick record is a 1:29 at Willow Springs in cooler temps. I would say the heat will cause a N/A Car to drop 2-3 seconds slower in the heat and a little more for Turbo's and Supercharge cars.

Like I said I think the winning car will do 1:31 to 1:33. I would be kinda of disapointed if not one Focus did a sub 1:34, that would have put every Focus behind every running TTU car last Sept in the heat and I'm sure all four Foci will be in TTU.

Also a 1:34 might only be 5 seconds faster then me in my little Spec Car. :lol:
You're right about the fun factor. It will be fun to make a great showing to all the non-Foci NASA members. I just wanted to see what everyone thought would be the fastest time....rather then getting into who will have the fastest car.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also there's a chance to get cooler temps (sub-to-low 90s) in the Morning and in the afternoon. Normally that is when you'll get you fastest time.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I'll tell ya... I saw Nik his is fairly gutted and caged Merc Cougar run a 1:40 or 1:41.

Now I know for a fact there is more speed than his time, but I would think over 10 seconds (at least in those temps) would be nearly impossible.

Not to mention infineon has some fairly high braking corners, where Big Willow has zero high braking corners. #3 is the most. Big willow is about carrying speed and a well balanced focus can do it. I'm just not sure to the tune of 1:30 and defainately not in these summer months.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
We are all in agreement. I will know more about this whole subject in the next week. Per walters permission

David as you know there is a huge difference between 1:40 and 1:35 about 25 cars each lap

1 - 20 of 53 Posts