Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I now have three good sized bulls eyes in my windshield and a large crack. It is time for replacement. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good brand of glass. The factory is Carlite (Ford), but if others have had theirs replaced, could you tell me what went in. I would also like to know if the little black dots above the rear-view mirror are on the glass. I like that feature and don't want to lose it by buying a cut-rate glass. Thanks.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
I'll have to check and see what brand mine is. I had it replaced after taking a cooler lid to the hood/windsheild at 70mph. The aftermarket glass has the dots on it like the factory piece, but it also has that crappy 1970's blue fade tint as well. I wasn't too happy about that.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check and see what brand mine is. I had it replaced after taking a cooler lid to the hood/windsheild at 70mph. The aftermarket glass has the dots on it like the factory piece, but it also has that crappy 1970's blue fade tint as well. I wasn't too happy about that.
Yeah, I am thinking I would prefer glass color over blue!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i had Safelite web page replace my windshield in June. they had great service. they have a 24 hour national scheduling center, and if you tell them you don't want the blue sun tint (they should even ask you if you want it) the windshield will have the little black dots that you want, thats the way i wanted mine too.

their installer knew what he was doing and the quality of the glass is good, it even comes with the correct factory weatherstripping around the edge. basically, the only difference in the windshield is that it has a safelite logo instead of the carlite ford logo on the glass.

and their price was also excellent, they would have price matched any other quote i got, but they were already the best price out of 5 quotes. for reference, my windshield and installation was about $220.

i would recommend them for sure.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ok, after looking up the short cut and full cut (hadn't heard the terms before) im pretty sure my installer used the full cut, he took off a good amount of the original urethane, but left a layer on the car. he also took his time and made sure the bare metal was properly re-primed before hand. my installer was an old pro it seemed like, and i stuck around and watched and lent him a hand when he needed one. i had one other windshield replaced by a much younger tech and the install was paid by the dealer(the dealer used a different company too). that install wasn't nearly as good.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
short cut? do you mean the depth of the cutting tool that they cut the old windshield out with? my installer had both and he used the shorter one first, and the long one after so the windshield came right off. if thats not what you are referring to, you'll have to explain it to me.
That is what I mean. In a short cut, they cut out the glass, leave the orginal urethane sealer, and just patch over it. On a deep cut, the glass is cut out, the sealer is cut out, the area primed and re-sealed. Short-cutting is the typical way a mobile does it as it is significantly quicker and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i edited the original post above...i guess im not sure which way it was done, after reading your post. the installer left some urethane on, maybe it was the short cut method, i guess i don't specifically remember how much material was left. a good amount of urethane was reapplied for the new windshield and the old urethane was at least flat so that the new glass didn't stick out. he may have gone back and trimmed some material off the frame, but he didn't specifically try to take every last bit of old urethane off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts