Toyota pickup 1985 or so, 4x4, 22r motor
Toyota Land Cruiser fj60 with the inline 6
chevy Blazer 2 door
jeep cherokee

any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Those are great trucks, but don't forget about Monteros and Troopers; they make great 4x4s.

My '91 Trooper has taken me to some great, scenic, remote places and done it without a hiccup. Its 2.6l I4 has a fair amount of torque, but with 31s on it and stock gearing, it's sort of a dog in the mountains. It has 110,000 miles on it and runs great. In fact, we just put a new "performance" cam in it and a header will be going on as soon as I get a new gasket.

I have a friend who bought a Montero ('90) with a salvage title thirteen years ago. He uses it to go camping, rock climbing and get around in ugly weather. He's been rear-ended by Jeeps three times and the only damage has been to his bumper, which he promptly bent back into place after each accident. We keep expecting that the truck will simply blow up when he starts it - it has 167,000 miles on it - but the damned thing just keeps running like a champ.

The benefit to these kinds of trucks is in super cheap insurance and an incredibly low purchase price - gas is another story entirely, though. My last fill-up *only* cost $37, but it;s usually a lot closer to $45.

Look at ww.4x4wire.com for more info on Toyota, Isuzu, Jeep, and Mitsubishi, as well as a few others (IH, Dodge, etc.)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you can find a mid to late '80s Ranger...those are a blast in the white stuff

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Trying to get a 90 Audi S2 Quattro for $250 bucks.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
late 80's rangers and jeep cherokees get my vote. i love emboth.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Early 90s Subaru Legacy would work too if you'd rather not get a truck. There are a few for a grand on Autotrader.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Those are great trucks, but don't forget about Monteros and Troopers; they make great 4x4s.

I have a friend who bought a Montero ('90) with a salvage title thirteen years ago. He uses it to go camping, rock climbing and get around in ugly weather.
I use to have a '95 Montero SR and I miss it a lot

It was a wonderful vehicle for snow, desert, mountains and beach. Load it up with gear, people and go. No worries at all. Ok granted it didn't cost $1000 but it was well worth it. The only downside was it used 92 octane fuel, didn't get great mileage and was expensive to fill up. I really miss it for surf trips up the coast. The best part about it was the fold down FLAT middle seat. If you recline the front seats and remove the head rest they matched the middle one and formed a really cool bed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker - they're not too powerful but they get 30 mpg, 4x4 and can be had for cheap. I've thought about buying one and using it as a cheap summer convertible that I can take to the dunes.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Suzuki Samarai, 65HP baby!

My vote is for the late 80s early 90s Ranger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts