Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Potato Camera Operator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know "The Norm" has participated in quite a few of these events, but I would like to get some feedback in regards to prep, tire impressions, and overall experience in regards to snowcross or wintercross from anyone on FJ who has partaken in the sport. I will be doing my best to attend at least one event of this nature at Lime Rock Park here in CT this season, but like any other event at LRP, it is very, very pricey. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I drop a bunch of scratch and wind up doing nothing but ruining my own day.

Thanks!

Link to LRP events:
http://tickets.limerock.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=63

· Registered
930 Posts
huh, whats going on in here? LOL I actually had an ice race this past weekend.

300$ is a lot for 1 day.

theres also a SCCA rally x event in Stafford springs this weekend.
$100 for two days. dunno about the weather or conditions.

bring decent snow tires. you need at least some grip to be able to drive the car, to be able to scandinavian flick and drift in control. Some ice events i have been to have been so slippery, you cant use any weight transfer, because there is no grip to do it.
sounds like the lime rock is going to be packed snow, so you wont need studded tires or anything like that.
honestly, doesnt need much car prep. dont be too low as you dont want to damage anything if you plow through a snow bank. unless your slammed on coilovers, shouldnt be a problem. also less camber is better.

just go out and do it. you'll have a blast regardless of what you drive.

· Potato Camera Operator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've got pretty much no snow anywhere in CT, so unless Stafford is producing snow like LRP is, it'll just be frozen mud. Bummer... Thanks a bunch for the heads up to that event, though. I'll keep an eye on the schedule and try to hit tne next event that has snow on the ground.

My car sill be relatively low, but not that bad. You can't get too terribly close to the ground over 185/60-15s. I will have a spare front bumper on the car with a block-off plate on the lower grille. If I get a chance, I will also be fabricating a small bash bar that should help prevent damage in the case of an impact with a snowbank.

· Registered
930 Posts
unless they're plowing the snow into a bank with a truck, it would be fairly soft and easy to drive through. as my video showed, there are key moments where you know you cant stop, so it might be better to gas it to the other side, so you don't get stuck.

also artificial snow over asphalt would be fairly even, not as rutted as other surfaces.

and most importantly. have fun. you'll have a blast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.