Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havent seen or heard any mention of the FC 2.3L Mass-Air Flow Kit.

is there something inherantly wrong with FC as a whole or is the intake just not worth it? From frist glance it looks to be presented well (as far as what the picture displays it comes with all essential parts) and the parts look to be of good quality.

i myself dont want to make an un-educated purchase of a crappy part and i thought is was odd that this forum hasn't mentioned it as of late. if anyone has any info on this part, please bestow it upon the fourm.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
deffintly way to much $$$$ for that little gain. You want that gain for free? Just take the spare tire and jack out..yaayyy you saved $350.

·
Registered
506 Posts
deffintly way to much $$$$ for that little gain. You want that gain for free? Just take the spare tire and jack out..yaayyy you saved $350.
True Story.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
i havent seen or heard any mention of the FC 2.3L Mass-Air Flow Kit.

is there something inherantly wrong with FC as a whole or is the intake just not worth it? From frist glance it looks to be presented well (as far as what the picture displays it comes with all essential parts) and the parts look to be of good quality.

i myself dont want to make an un-educated purchase of a crappy part and i thought is was odd that this forum hasn't mentioned it as of late. if anyone has any info on this part, please bestow it upon the fourm.
The mass air sensor isn't the same (bolt on) as the stock one, so it would require some wiring. Not something I really like doing all that much. The FS or marcy intake are your best bets!

·
Registered
860 Posts
...I think people are missing the point here...The gains may seem small for the price, but price a MAF for any car...Then look at the $350 again...Plus, here you get an air filter, an adapter, and the parts needed to make it work with the PZEV...The price isnt that bad, and when you consider the gains with upgrading MAFs on any car...Well, there shouldnt be any whining...
...But, the posted gains are also on a mostly stock engine that cant properly utilize the extra airflow capacity...But, the stock MAF is undersized...The throttle body opening is larger than the MAF housing...This creates a 'choking' effect...This also makes an aftermarket throttle body a dumb idea...Unless you put on a larger MAF first...
...And the wiring to install it isnt bad...Just a couple of splices...Something anyone with half a brain and ten minutes (or less) can do...
...I dont believe the other intakes on the market (and this technically isnt an intake) do anything to better the too small MAF housing, either...This part basically kills two birds with one stone, and is a good value for the price in the long run...
...The reason it probably hasnt been mentioned much is because no one on here is in a position to actually need a part like this yet...Give it some time...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
once guys remove their rev limiters, install aftermarket cams, or replace throttle bodies, i can definitely see this part flying off the shelf...specially at that price. ANd once they start going FI? even more demand.

My question is are the FS or Marcy tubes big enough to warrant going with one of their CAI's right now, and perhaps going to the large MAF later on? OR would they end up choking airflow later on?

·
Registered
860 Posts
once guys remove their rev limiters, install aftermarket cams, or replace throttle bodies, i can definitely see this part flying off the shelf...specially at that price. ANd once they start going FI? even more demand.

My question is are the FS or Marcy tubes big enough to warrant going with one of their CAI's right now, and perhaps going to the large MAF later on? OR would they end up choking airflow later on?
...Thats what I was gettin at...Its a good part...Just at the wrong time...But, I guess its better to get it out now, than to make everyone wait for it later on when its actually needed...
...I think the tubes should be big enough...The Marcy intake actually looks like overkill, even for a 75mm MAF (dont have a pic of the FS intake handy right now)...
...First mod should be exhaust, though...Kinda pointless letting the engine breathe in more air if it cant get more air out ...It would be kinda like increasing the amount of food you eat even though you have no butt to poop it out of...(Sorry, just wanted to use 'poop' and 'butt' in a technical discussion; its 3am and my brain is fried from work)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

Marcy's will work well with it. He's reassured me that several times in our talks.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

...Thats what I was gettin at...Its a good part...Just at the wrong time...But, I guess its better to get it out now, than to make everyone wait for it later on when its actually needed...
...I think the tubes should be big enough...The Marcy intake actually looks like overkill, even for a 75mm MAF (dont have a pic of the FS intake handy right now)...
...First mod should be exhaust, though...Kinda pointless letting the engine breathe in more air if it cant get more air out ...It would be kinda like increasing the amount of food you eat even though you have no butt to poop it out of...(Sorry, just wanted to use 'poop' and 'butt' in a technical discussion; its 3am and my brain is fried from work)
Exhausts on modern cars do so little I'd say that's not even a performace mod anymore. You only get like 2-4 whp from most of them. Yeah, I'll buy one because it helps later mods, but it's not like your ramming air down the engines throat and it cant get it out fast enough. The engine ingests air as fast as it wants...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i appreciate the knowledge...

now i wanna konw where the damn 75mm 2.3 throttle body is...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Exhausts on modern cars do so little I'd say that's not even a performace mod anymore. You only get like 2-4 whp from most of them. Yeah, I'll buy one because it helps later mods, but it's not like your ramming air down the engines throat and it cant get it out fast enough. The engine ingests air as fast as it wants...
...Exhausts on modern cars are restrictive enough to cost you several mpgs...Therefore they are also restrictive to power production...I never said that you were going to gain 15 whp from an exhaust upgrade, but with modern emissions requirements, todays exhausts arent designed to support engine mods...
Yes, I am aware that the engine ingests air as fast as it wants...And by leaving a stock exhaust on and adding an aftermarket intake, you are doing very little...The engine doesnt want that much air if it cant get it out...A free-flowing exhaust is the basis for any good engine modification program (not the exact word I wanted, but itll do)...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
like the MAF, might not have good baseline gains, but it'll pay for itself exponentially as time goes on.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
...Exhausts on modern cars are restrictive enough to cost you several mpgs...Therefore they are also restrictive to power production...I never said that you were going to gain 15 whp from an exhaust upgrade, but with modern emissions requirements, todays exhausts arent designed to support engine mods...
Yes, I am aware that the engine ingests air as fast as it wants...And by leaving a stock exhaust on and adding an aftermarket intake, you are doing very little...The engine doesnt want that much air if it cant get it out...A free-flowing exhaust is the basis for any good engine modification program (not the exact word I wanted, but itll do)...
Not really...you're getting a lot of gains from the intake, even without and exhuast.
Look at SCC's article. I'm not sure how much that exhaust would have gained without that intake, but to me it looks like the better first mod is the intake.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0105scc_projfocus/

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
The FC Mass Air Flow kit is a good part and will work with both versions of our intake with the simple addition of a second 3" coupler. There is an additional gain to be had over a stock MAF, but at a higher cost/gain ratio than other modifications.

Of important note, the stock MAF is not as much a restriction as it perceived to be. It is shaped like a venturi, which accelerates the air as it passes through. The stock MAF actually flows very well for it's size as a result. If the factory MAF was the restriction, we would have seen dramatically lower or no gains from modifications to the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body.

Also, the stock throttle body is an impressive piece of engineering, and flows an ample amount of air. It is 62.5mm in diameter stock, and has all of Fords best engineering in it. The design of the manifold will permit larger throttle bore diameters, however, the 2.3L engine simply does not need the airflow capability of a massive 70mm or larger throttle body, at least not yet.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The FC Mass Air Flow kit is a good part and will work with both versions of our intake with the simple addition of a second 3" coupler. There is an additional gain to be had over a stock MAF, but at a higher cost/gain ratio than other modifications.

Of important note, the stock MAF is not as much a restriction as it perceived to be. It is shaped like a venturi, which accelerates the air as it passes through. The stock MAF actually flows very well for it's size as a result. If the factory MAF was the restriction, we would have seen dramatically lower or no gains from modifications to the air intake between the MAF and the throttle body.

Also, the stock throttle body is an impressive piece of engineering, and flows an ample amount of air. It is 62.5mm in diameter stock, and has all of Fords best engineering in it. The design of the manifold will permit larger throttle bore diameters, however, the 2.3L engine simply does not need the airflow capability of a massive 70mm or larger throttle body, at least not yet.
totally agree

For the avg person slapping on an intake and exhaust will be freakin enough on this platform. With all that TQ it would actually be nicer to keep the stock TB so that you dont get that bad jerkin head motion...the MAF design is awsome and dont think it needs to be replaced as a mild bolt-on..the only time I see that the TB and MAFS will be a restriction is when headwork and high profile cams are installed with every other bolt-on..We shall see as the market get larger and more dyno's are ran, but I see with Intake/Exhaust/Race Header/and Internal Adjustable Cam gears this car making about 165WHP/155TQ with those being simple bolt-ons you are likeing at a nice daily driver pumping out 200HP and 200TQ at the crank..in a 2400LB car I say thats amazing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With all that TQ it would actually be nicer to keep the stock TB so that you dont get that bad jerkin head motion...
AHhahahahahahahAha

man, thats the funniest motion i have ever seen when someone is driving and doesn't know how to shift correctly. they look like a bird or some sort...maybe a stork...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts