Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Results TSSCC Event 5 2005

Tri-State Sports Car Council which is the sister "Autocross Club" of the Chicago SCCA... I have not won a class at an event since the old CS RX-7 days (was pre-road race days for me)in the mid 90's, so yesterday was pretty gratifying. Now the 'catch' here is that the 'Spec-Civics' ran in the 'Pro' class, although one of the cars that I beat was an Si (Spec Civic) driven by Jimmy Crawford's girlfriend (yes, Sara drives it pretty good too); Jimmy in that car finished 2nd at the National Tour last weekend to Andy Hollis...

So we're at the point that on a 50 second course, we're about 2.5 seconds off of literally the best STS cars in the nation...in a fully-loaded ZTS with basically sub-300 pound springs (Intrax SVT), no 'hard' bushings (except swaybars)...on 205 Falkens on 6.5" wheels.

It is indeed fun to have some of the newer Civic and Acura RSX guys come over and ask all sorts of questions about a domestic sedan ("I didnt know Focuses were that fast...")...especially when I overheard one of them earlier in the day calling the Focus 'gay'...

Sooo, I have the H&R race springs in the garage, and hope to have those on within the week. Doubt that the Si's are catchable...but maybe we can decrease the difference a bit more yet.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Awesome! It's pretty much my dream to finish 1st in STS. Maybe one day... when 1st, 2nd, 3rd is out of town.

Its kinda nice when you are running the same times as others in acutal sports cars who bash on the focus huh?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...appreciate the props.

I tend to view STS as Spec-Civic...and everybody else. If I can be the fastest of 'everybody else', I figure it's a good day's work. In my area the fastest of the 'Spec-Civics' always run 'PRO' class on PAX--there are 4 of them and all will likely trophy at Nationals...and I'll bet heavily on Jason Frank winning outright this year. With those guys not 'officially' being in STS, there are still ususally a few Spec-Civics entered in STS with 'the rest of us'; usually the same four cars with lesser experienced co-drivers. Even still, they are pretty darned fast--so to beat Sara outright in Jimmy's car was indeed cool. I have said before that driving a Focus (or pretty much anything else for that matter) in STS is a lot like bringing a knife to a gunfight--on any given weekend, I am content to be the 'fastest knife'!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Congrat on the win! I actually took 1st place in the Novice STS class (still a beginner
) at a local autoX event. After looking at the results, I realized that I still need to shave off about 3sec. to be competitive when I get out of the Novice. From what I remember, I would have actually taken 4th if I wasn't in Novice, and the drivers who would have finished ahead me drive a '01 Prelude, '00 Civic Si, and the other I can't remember. I would love to one be in your shoes to show the Honda guys that Focus' have are underrated cars.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Congrats!

I can't wait until I win my first STS victory. It will be a long time though. Still need suspension AND tires to be semi competitive.

Of course we have absolutely no site to run on either......

But anyways. CONGRATS again!

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Thanks...appreciate the props.

I tend to view STS as Spec-Civic...and everybody else. If I can be the fastest of 'everybody else', I figure it's a good day's work. In my area the fastest of the 'Spec-Civics' always run 'PRO' class on PAX--there are 4 of them and all will likely trophy at Nationals...and I'll bet heavily on Jason Frank winning outright this year. With those guys not 'officially' being in STS, there are still ususally a few Spec-Civics entered in STS with 'the rest of us'; usually the same four cars with lesser experienced co-drivers. Even still, they are pretty darned fast--so to beat Sara outright in Jimmy's car was indeed cool. I have said before that driving a Focus in STS is a lot like bringing a knife to a gunfight--on any given weekend, I am content to be the 'fastest knife'!
Knife to a gunfight? Try competing in EP!

02_smurf = EP SVTF

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Of course we have absolutely no site to run on either......
We got a speech at the St. Louis autocross novice school Saturday about being on our best behavior. They mentioned how some regions don't even have lots to play on anymore. I had a sad thought for poor NeOkla.

Then I got 15 runs on a 40-second course.

Then I messed up my rear sway bar mount bushing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts