Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, how are people pushing 7.5 to 10 lbs of boost on a daily driven vehicle or let's say 15-20 lbs of boost on a daily driven car on stock internals, but when somebody brings up spraying a 75 shot when is logically the same as 7-8 lbs of boost, why does majority of people shoot down the nitrous suggestion down, but makes it look like 7 to 8 lbs of boost is no big deal........but on the dyno if you were to compare 7-8 lbs of boost to a 75 shot, the hp/tq would probably be the same.....except nitrous wouldn't be ran all the time.....wouldn't that mean the nitrous would be safer as long it is tuned for it? or is there something about nitrous that I don't know about that makes so much harsher then a turbo or a supercharged application? When I read up on people's posts about pushing 200 or more whp to there stock internal motor, not even refering to an SVT because they have the better bottom end then the normal zetec, but on a normal 130hp zetec, people are pushing more then 200 whp EVERYDAY but when somebody brings up a big shot of nitrous majority of people are talking it down except for a few.........can anybody elaborate on that? thanks......just thought I would make a good topic : )

·
Registered
990 Posts
When I had my 50 shot it was like an addiction. I was filling the bottle up on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. I used it all the time. I couldn't get enough. When I got rid of the nitrous and got my aerocharger it was the exact same feeling, but it was there all the time.

Also, with a turbo, there is less chance of something going wrong. If nitrous solenoids go bad, which is not all that uncommon, it can really mess the car up, especially if it happens to be the fuel solenoid. If you let off the throttle while the nitrous in engaged or at too low an rpm, or whatever.

Also, it's illegal to run nitrous on public roads in my state. If you get pulled over, i don't know what they'd do? But I'm sure it would cost a good deal of money.

Basically the difference between nitrous and turbo, to me, is the difference between two people running a foot race. One is out of shape, but he is using methamphetamine drugs, and the other guy is an "in shape" runner. They might finish a short race in about the same time, but the guy with the amphetamines will be in pretty bad shape if he does it too much, or takes too much drugs, or whatever. Whereas the guy who runs all the time is fine, and could run another race right afterwards.

I guess you could argue that a nitrous system with everything perfectly set up, and all the proper automated safety precautions would be a fine alternative to a turbo. But remember, if you want to race me, all I have to do is push the pedal down. And my turbo never runs out of boost.

Nick

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had my 50 shot it was like an addiction. I was filling the bottle up on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. I used it all the time. I couldn't get enough. When I got rid of the nitrous and got my aerocharger it was the exact same feeling, but it was there all the time.

Also, with a turbo, there is less chance of something going wrong. If nitrous solenoids go bad, which is not all that uncommon, it can really mess the car up, especially if it happens to be the fuel solenoid. If you let off the throttle while the nitrous in engaged or at too low an rpm, or whatever.

Also, it's illegal to run nitrous on public roads in my state. If you get pulled over, i don't know what they'd do? But I'm sure it would cost a good deal of money.

Basically the difference between nitrous and turbo, to me, is the difference between two people running a foot race. One is out of shape, but he is using methamphetamine drugs, and the other guy is an "in shape" runner. They might finish a short race in about the same time, but the guy with the amphetamines will be in pretty bad shape if he does it too much, or takes too much drugs, or whatever. Whereas the guy who runs all the time is fine, and could run another race right afterwards.

I guess you could argue that a nitrous system with everything perfectly set up, and all the proper automated safety precautions would be a fine alternative to a turbo. But remember, if you want to race me, all I have to do is push the pedal down. And my turbo never runs out of boost.

Nick
I understand the fact that a turbo never runs out and what not......but what I don't understand why do some people think that it is easier on the motor to run a turbo w/5-10 lbs of boost compared to a 50-75 shot of nitrous?....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using nitrous vs. forced induction. I think people "shoot it down" because of what Sprout said - it's much more fun to have power available all the time. And forced induction is much cheaper than nitrous in the long run, unless you're extremely disciplined.

If all I wanted from my Focus was to run fast 1/4-mile times, nitrous would be great. But for a daily driver, it would be silly IMO.

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
The initial shock of the nitrous is more severe than boost, but in the end if both cars are well tuned, they will both last without a problem.

Nitrous is not any harder on the car if it is used right. There are just as many things that can go wrong with an FI setup causing you to lose a motor.

I ran 8psi+75 shot on pump gas for a good while, stock internals. Does that sound safe to you? My motor still runs perfect and has A+ compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts