Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would i feel a difference in response, if i run a tube from behind the grill(lower grill) up right near a shortram intake filter?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea cause i can notice a difference after the engine heats up its not as responsive, so i figure if i can get some cold air up to the filter for it to suck in, it wouldnt be sucking up hotair.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
try making a heat shield... the intake will take air from the area of least resistance, so if the air that is easiest to get is hot, so be it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking it would help because then all the air around the filter will be cooler and it will have no choice but to use it.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
at speed, yeah. go for it.
Yeah... what they said. At a stop no.. cuz you'll suck from the surrounding area, and not be pulling through the tube...

You'll get ram air that will force itself nearer the filter..

For best results, get a heat shield.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
AEM CAI=overpriced ally tube w/complementary license plate frame and decal. does ok for topend power (losin down low) when you only have 2 or 3 mods...but once you start gettin into it, it'll start to be the bottleneck

-Ult

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just invest in a volant/FC Cold air with a box and snorkle.

Then get a ram air hood to fit near them.

All cold air, no hot engine air.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering i dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new hood and another intake, i think my idea would work just fine. Im not asking about getting new products i was just asking if my idea would work the way i want it to.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a ractive intake with the heatshield filter on it, I plan on replacing the filter with a k&n cone, and making a heatshield for it. Then running a tube up there from behind the lower grill.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Unless you put the tube around the filter (or at least touching it) its not going to pull in air well. It would be like putting a straw near your mouth and trying to stuck air through it.

And, yes Silver IS the best color

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not trying to ram the air into the intake filter, i just want to get all cool air around the filter so thats wut it will suck in instead of sucking in hot engine air.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
In order for the cooler air to get there, it either needs to be pushed or pulled. If your tube has a fairly unblocked access to the outside (facing out the front) then some air will be pushed into the engine bay when you are moving, but you'd probably need something wide like dyer tubing.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its aluminum tubing from homedepot, im guessing the diameter to be maybe 3.5in or more, when im moving i think i should get good airflow going through it up to the filter area.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
"Its aluminum tubing from homedepot"

Probably the same stuff I was thinking of

Try to avoid any bends in it and keep the run as short as possible.
Good luck, let us know how it works

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would also recommend getting an SVT snorkle. It's under $30, and gets more air flowing that way than the stock snorkle does.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Aluminum tubing will readily transfer heat to the incoming air, even considering that the air moves pretty fast through the intake. Plastic or heat wrapped metal might be better, fabric type intake hoses better. I ran a 3.25" fabric hose from under the left front of the car, up between the fender and the wheel well, (courtesy of a sawzall), then hooking up to the side intake of my volant which is covered by a piece of clear plexi. No hot engine bay air whatsoever, even at idle.
Makes a really cool sound coming from under the fender as you stand in front of the car with the engine running and the blower going.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I would also recommend getting an SVT snorkle. It's under $30, and gets more air flowing that way than the stock snorkle does.
This was MY Solution.
You can also get creative w/ re-using the stock snorkel.
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but if you take the stock one, and bend it backward, it will route from the face of the cone, down to just behind the lower part of the radiator. Run both snorkels into a home-made, non-heat-conducting heat-shield, and I'd say you have a winner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.