Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WRC - I\'m confused??

I thought that the whole idea of the WRC third driver rule was to bring new young drivers into the sport. Now it seems like they are trying to kill off the sport entirely. These new rules don't make any sense to me. No wonder Colin McRae was talking about NASCAR!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Re: WRC - I\'m confused??

I don't know what they are up to at the moment but if they aren't careful they are going to kill WRC. Considering that this is the very top level of motorsports in the world beating F1 by budget it seems like the need to take a few steps back and toss out some of the crazy expensive electronics.

Two guys in a car racing down a road at 100MPH in a Ford Focus. VS Two guys in a car racing down a road at 100MPH in a Ford Focus WRC. What's really going to be more exciting?

When I went to see the Rally of GB two years ago I had more fun watching the super 1600 class cars and the sportsman classes than the WRC. These guys were out there on the limit just as much as WRC cars.

FIA Confirms Two-Car Manufacturer Teams for WRC
Written by: RACER staff
Paris, France – 9/9/2003
Peugeot is among those in a tough spot under the new regulations, having already signed three drivers for 2004.

The controversial ruling to expand the 2004 World Rally Championship to 16 events, but restrict manufacturer teams to just two cars each, was confirmed on Tuesday by the FIA.

The decision will have a wide-reaching impact on the WRC, as many of the teams have already signed third drivers after a previous decision to limit all third cars to drivers who had not finished a WRC event on the podium in the last three years. Peugeot and Citroen are among those to have been caught out by the FIA's change of heart.

It's now been announced that manufacturers may only enter two cars for points-scoring purposes on all rounds of the championship. That means that Freddy Loix and Simon Jean-Joseph, recently signed as third drivers by Peugeot and Citroen respectively, have an uncertain immediate future.

The new raft of rule changes approved today also means that gravel crews will be banned, while reconnaisance runs also will be changed. Crews will only be allowed two recce runs of each stage, with the second round of these runs to take place on the mornings of the special stages themselves. All recce runs will have to be done in either standard road cars or the actual rally car.

The 16-round calendar will allow the inclusion of events in Mexico and Japan. Teams had proposed a 14-round championship, amid fears that travelling costs for 16 events would be too high. At least one team, Ford, fears it will not have the budget to run a 16-round series next year.

The announcement is even more stunning to those in rallying than the FIA's original proposals about third drivers. The about-turn on third entries has come just as manufacturers were beginning to accept them and sign drivers. The recce system and the expanded calendar, meanwhile, have been pushed through in spite of opposition from teams and leading drivers.

The FIA's statement made reference to proposed testing restrictions and a new servicing system, but full details on these will only be submitted next month.

2004 World Rally Championship calendar:

Monte Carlo, Jan. 23-25*
Sweden, Feb. 6-8*
Mexico, March 12-14
Argentina, April 30-May2
Cyprus, May 14-16
Greece, May 28-30
Turkey, June 25-27
New Zealand, July 16-18
Finland, Aug. 6-8
Germany, Aug. 20-22
Japan, Sept. 3-5
Great Britain, Sept. 17-19
Italy, Oct. 15-17
France, Oct. 15-17
Spain, Oct. 29-31
Australia, Nov. 12-14

*Monte Carlo and Sweden are exempt from the new recce system next year.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Couple reasons.

a.) to promote more manufacturers being in the sport. Right now Mitsu has ZERO presence... despite dominating Pro-Rally here... (I would love to see Laughlin O'Sullivan go WRC!)
b.) to promote more privateers

I think that they recognize that if you have too many drivers of quality.. then you will just dominate the manufacturer's points.

Also.. it was rumored in Finland that Colin was talkin with Mitsu... Guess not anymore if he's comin to Nascar.... Now that every team has to trim a driver, it holds hopes for more manufacturers getting into it... and taking guys like Colin and becoming players (assuming his head pops)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

mitsu is coming back full time next year. For some reason the wrc evo sucked. I think the rules are all lame. But even with the 3rd driver rule, no one lost their job (alteast the top guys) they just moved around. But now with the only 2 driver rule, it makes the series lame. Great drivers are left on the sidelines.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

I like the new rules. Get some fresh blood in there and knock off the Citroen/Peugeot domination. Hell, I'd love to see Hyundai get on the podium a bit.

And knocking it up to 16 events, is also cool. Sure it hurts the little guys pocket books, but their not really competing yet anyways, so no big deal missing a couple events if that has to be the case. Plus the Japanese course will probably include lots of supa dorifto action!

Go Minardi! Go Hyundai! Go Skoda!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

I like the new rules. Get some fresh blood in there and knock off the Citroen/Peugeot domination. Hell, I'd love to see Hyundai get on the podium a bit.
How is this going to help bring in "fresh blood", yeah it'll help Hyundai get better scores, only because its more of a chance of the other teams having DNFs so they'll go up by default. New drivers are going to have to go privateer and thats going to make it less likely of seeing any new great drivers. With only two cars the manufactures aren't going to risk getting rid of a current driver to have someone else join.
Why would a manufacture want to join the WRC when the FIA can't seem to make up its mind as to what the heck they are doing? Changing MAJOR rules after only two months?!?!
And why the hell did they put the new rally in Mexico?!??! Why not the US or Canada???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts