Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off of the pavement anyway.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/5743/

What I'm wondering is if this includes the Rallye Monte Carlo. Probably the most famous of the European Rallies and definitely a greater loss than RJR to NASCAR.

Except for Michealxi and other RJR and related employees, it may actually benefit NASCAR to lose this sponsorship because they may have to make the racing better to get new sponsors, or not.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I think the pavement stages are cool
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bigger wheels</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">high speeds</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dropped like a mofo</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
256 Posts
We should get a petition going to keep at least 2 pavement rallies. I like the ways the asphalt rallies are.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
the FIA sucks so much. this will be the second time they take a major event series and make it more television-friendly.

screw em

·
Registered
717 Posts
For me, a lot of the appeal WRC has comes from its diversity. The fact that they race on real roads, whether the surface is asphalt, gravel, snow, or a combination of each (the combinations were the best, since it makes choosing a tire really tricky), makes it fun. No one driver can specialize in a single surface and expect to win overall. Plus, the cars have to be built to handle the different conditions.

I understand the desire to reduce costs (rallies used to be much more expansive, but now they're much more compact, with stages run multiple times) and make the sport more accessible to TV audiences, but compromising the spirit of the sport too much will just water it down to the point of being too bland to be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Originally posted by Bantha Fodder:
For me, a lot of the appeal WRC has comes from its diversity. The fact that they race on real roads, whether the surface is asphalt, gravel, snow, or a combination of each (the combinations were the best, since it makes choosing a tire really tricky), makes it fun. No one driver can specialize in a single surface and expect to win overall. Plus, the cars have to be built to handle the different conditions.

I understand the desire to reduce costs (rallies used to be much more expansive, but now they're much more compact, with stages run multiple times) and make the sport more accessible to TV audiences, but compromising the spirit of the sport too much will just water it down to the point of being too bland to be interesting.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Preach on man!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a thought this morning:

Imagine the WRC boiled down to several big Oval tracks, one in the Sahara made completely of sand, several made of gravel, and one or two with guaranteed snow and ice. Then the name changes to WRCCAR...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Originally posted by zx3ford:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Bantha Fodder:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Preach on man!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">preach on man! X2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts