Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roomate is going to pick up his 2002 WRX sedan later today and he's been calling around to all the insurance places today to get quotes. He's 25, was in one non-fault accident where the other driver got a ticket for failure to yield, this was like 5 years ago though and should have fallen off the record by now anyway.

Long story short, the cheapest rate we can find is $2800/yr with Progressive.

I had 3 accidents and a DWI on my record last year when I bought my focus and the rate through Progressive for my policy was $2600/yr.

What gives? Are that many people crashing the WRX?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
AWD does typically garner higher rates... Trucks with 4x4 are sometimes double the rate of a non-4x4. And this is for like Toyota Tacomas!

I don't think its particularly too outrageous..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm 21, with one at-fault accident (on CLUE report not DOL abstract) and NO moving violations and my insurance is a bit over $3600 per year....I have little sympathy for you guys. Good luck though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yes, insurance for the WRX is that high. at first it wasn't so bad until the insurance companies noticed that alot of people were crashing these cars. for some reason alot of drivers were under the impression that the AWD would transform their mediocre driving skills to godlike and defy the laws of physics at the same time.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
thats 100 bucks more a month than i pay, if i remember i was quoted less on a 350z when i was shopping. Im 20 with a ticket and non fault wreck.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yes, insurance for the WRX is that high. at first it wasn't so bad until the insurance companies noticed that alot of people were crashing these cars. for some reason alot of drivers were under the impression that the AWD would transform their mediocre driving skills to godlike and defy the laws of physics at the same time.
You mean it wont?
*throws WRX brochure away*

Would AWD feature on car typically lower your insurance as a safety device, kind of like ABS? I mean I understand why the WRX is not since many people have gotten pulled over or crashed all together. But of course having commercials that shows that you can go thru a twisty road and not even have to look at the road and go thru like nothing has to be true!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Exactly what sealed my decision against buying the WRX (other than no split rear seat, DUMB move in a $24K plus sedan without much interior room for a guy who hates wagons). Not that I am cutting on your friend, but it sounds like your friend bought the car before throughly investigating the insurance costs. I did before I nearly bought the car- you have to do that with any car in considering the overall costs of ownership.

My situation: 34, spotless driving record, single professional, and State Farm Mutual quoted me $150 per month for the WRX, $85 for the SVT Focus. That is nearly DOUBLE the premium, and I felt my money was better spent on a car with more usable interior room at a lower monthly payment. If you really want a shocker, I had State Farm Mutual quote me a SVT Cobra Mustang hardtop, and this car's 400+ horses came in at $130 per month for me!

I think the WRX appeals to a much younger buyer than myself, and has an outrageous repair cost when it is wrecked. Young, agressive drivers + more accidents + expensive repair costs = big money premiums. All wheel drive or not, it just wasn't a good deal as I thought it would be. I could buy a set of snow tires over 4 months for the additional premium.

I don't think you see a great reduction of insurance rates unless you keep your nose clean for at least 10 years and are in your 30's. There are lots of cars I can buy now that I would not have even considered buying years ago due to the insurance costs. Best of luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
think thats bad, at the moment I am under my parents with a MACH ZTS and I pay like $120 a month 10 months of the year for a 12month policy(California Casualty)

but on my own for a ZX5 SVT with a spotless record it would have been $7000+ for a year(Geico)

I am a 20year old male

and for some strange reasion on a 2003WRX it would be $3,203, much less then the SVT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bro, your talking a zx3 with 130 hp 4cylinder which is considered a family car

Vice

A 300hp monster psycho car killing baby eating rubber burning fire breathing sasquatch

Of course the insurance is gonna be WAY higher.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
think thats bad, at the moment I am under my parents with a MACH ZTS and I pay like $120 a month 10 months of the year for a 12month policy(California Casualty)

but on my own for a ZX5 SVT with a spotless record it would have been $7000+ for a year(Geico)

I am a 20year old male

and for some strange reasion on a 2003WRX it would be $3,203, much less then the SVT
I have a MACH ZTS focus as well, I'm 19 (as of Aug. 23) have a at fault crash, and a moving violation. Insurance is $517 a MONTH ($6,204 a year) for me, in contrast my car payment is $317 a month) I am scared to even see what a WRX would be for me. Before I had a crash I had a Focus SE on my parents policy and that was $250 a month. ($3,000 a year) and that was with a clean recoard.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a MACH ZTS focus as well, I'm 19 (as of Aug. 23) have a at fault crash, and a moving violation. Insurance is $517 a MONTH ($6,204 a year) for me, in contrast my car payment is $317 a month) I am scared to even see what a WRX would be for me. Before I had a crash I had a Focus SE on my parents policy and that was $250 a month. ($3,000 a year) and that was with a clean recoard.
6 Grand a YEAR? Holy [censored]!

Well, I pay about 2 grand a year for my ZX3, 17 year old driver, no accidents, no tickets.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Man I'm gonna stop Bitching about my insurance after hearing these prices. My Ins is like $1500.00 for my Focus and a 1977 Corvette!!! I thought mine was outragous, I'd start pedeling a bike before I paid 6 Grand on insurance. That is just not right

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the car's here.

He went with Liberty Mutual for $1400/yr.

It's an awesome car, silver 2002 with 14,000mi. Fast as hell, could use better tires soon, he's getting a carbon fiber hood with the Sti scoop and an air splitter for the intercooler so it gets more even air distribution to it.

Great fun

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hope he enjoys his car. One of the reasons the wrx is expensive to insure is the majority of the age group buying the car: early 20's.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm only $1800/year with Progressive. Remember everyone, GEICO=Axis of overpriced

I'm 21, live in a low crime suburb of Dallas, and I am on my own policy with no wrecks and no tickets, and no lapse in insurance. Ever. My premium went from $2000 a year to $1800 a year when I moved from Central Irving to North Irving (nicer neighborhood, for those of you familiar with the area). Location could be a factor with your premiums. So could age, as mine literally dropped $100 dollars overnight once I turned 21. Credit also affects your insurance premium. Insurers go off the basis that people with worse credit are most likely to get into a wreck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did your friend ask why it’s high? More than likely if he did he would have gotten the same quote I did when I was 18 and asked about insuring a 5.0 Mustang or even a 91 Camero RS with a V8, they are considered High Performance cars. This is one of the reasons the cars lost horsepower in the 70’s, because the insurance companies wouldn’t insure these cars, now I think they’ve just decided to make money with the Philosophy “pay to play” when I was asking about the 5.0 I had a 69 Chevelle SS with a 396 with 350 HP 416 lbs of torque (stock) but this was in 1990 when Muscle cars were forgotten about by the insurance companies and they didn’t realize what the car was really I didn’t tell them the car had that much power and since the SS was only an option in 69 and not a model that was not reflected in the vin. Then when asked engine size I said 396 and to my surprise they said it’s not in the hypo class because it’s under 400 CI (I had to laugh to my self on that) and since my parents had a 5.0 I knew the Chevelle would kick but over a stock 5.0 I got rubber in all 4 gears too. I believe the magic number on sport compact these days is somewhere around 200hp to classify it as a Hypo car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts