Discussion Starter #1
So I could get a WRX STi for $32K
or a Volvo S60R for $34K.....

hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by Maxximtl:
If that is true, Mitsubishi might aswell start discounting the EVO. There is no way the EVO can compete with the STI if it is that close in price.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Top Gear did a comparo of the two. It liked the STi for excitement as a daily driver but it made Evo sound like crack - you take it for short rushes of pure thrills. They also said the Evo handles better, which would be the determining factor for me if I were in the market for that type of car. Even if they're near the same price, it sounds like the Evo is competitive. I grant you that if the price is close, the Evo won't sell as well because of the lower horsepower rating and the differential settings on the STi. That doesn't mean it deserves it, it's just the (somewhat sad) state of the American car market.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Out in Cali there was one dealer that had a 20k markup on an EVO. Looks like he might give a nice discount instead.

·
Registered
887 Posts
can you say "market value adjustment" by the dealers, boys and girls?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
hm. that sounded like bragging.

anyways, i'm getting one next year. there's a much better network of Subaru enthusiasts than there is Mitsu Evo enthusiasts.

[ 04-18-2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: s2d2 ]

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wonder why everyone freaks out about the price gouging...Just buy it online and you will have absolutely no problems. The first week the EVO came out there was like 6 or 7 dealers advertising on ebay...All for MSRP! just go that route! It's not like you can test drive it unless you are lucky enough to find a very trusting dealership!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
So I could get a WRX STi for $32K
or a Volvo S60R for $34K.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">S60R

I dont want the boy racer image, and I wont pretend that I could ever bring myself to actually race the STi...too much money (for me) to be throwing around at a track.

·
Registered
22 Posts
But that Top Gear comparo was between the Euro versions of the STI and EVO. With the slightly watered down US EVO (no active differentals), and the more powerful US STI (2.5 liter 4 cyl.), I think we'll have to wait to see a real comparo between the 2 US spec cars before we can make any conclusions.

Originally posted by proxemac:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Maxximtl:
If that is true, Mitsubishi might aswell start discounting the EVO. There is no way the EVO can compete with the STI if it is that close in price.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Top Gear did a comparo of the two. It liked the STi for excitement as a daily driver but it made Evo sound like crack - you take it for short rushes of pure thrills. They also said the Evo handles better, which would be the determining factor for me if I were in the market for that type of car. Even if they're near the same price, it sounds like the Evo is competitive. I grant you that if the price is close, the Evo won't sell as well because of the lower horsepower rating and the differential settings on the STi. That doesn't mean it deserves it, it's just the (somewhat sad) state of the American car market.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I can't verify this, so don't shoot the messenger, but the following is supposedly a letter sent to the dealers yesterday.

Found this over at NASIOC. Here's a copy of the post:
Joe and Glenn are correct.

30955 + 550 = 31545

That is official from Subaru.

I probably shouldn't do this but:

Next month, Subaru of America will launch the next level of our Driving Performance initiative with the introduction of the 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

The Subaru Impreza WRX STi draws motorsports technology directly from our expertise in the World Rally Championship (WRC) competition, and is designed to appeal to the serious driving enthusiast. Featured at the North American International Auto show in Detroit in January of this year, the Impreza WRX STi will serve as the performance flagship of the Subaru line. It will be the most powerful Subaru ever offered for sale in North America.

The Subaru Impreza WRX STi builds on the performance and styling success of the
award winning Impreza WRX models that were an overnight success in the U.S. market. STI stands for Subaru Tecnica International, the high performance and motorsports subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. The Subaru Impreza WRX STi is powered by an intercooled and turbocharged 2.5 liter DOHC boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS), variable valve timing, and an intercooler manual control water spray system delivering 300 horsepower at 6000 RPM and 300 lb-ft. peak torque at 4000 RPM. The Impreza WRX STi comes equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission and our most integrated Full-Time All Wheel Drive system with a Driver Control Center Differential (DCCD), and a high performance inverted strut sport tuned suspension to provide the ultimate combination of power and handling.

The Subaru Impreza WRX STi also features the latest in performance safety engineering – as standard equipment. High intensity discharge (HID) headlights provide increased forward visibility, while heavy duty Brembo® four wheel disc brakes, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution, Super Sport ABS and 17-inch BBS® wheels provide superior braking stability. Additional standard safety features include front seat head/chest side impact air bags, dual front airbags, and three-point seatbelts for all seating positions. All 2004 Impreza models are equipped with a safety brake pedal system that is designed to yield during a serious frontal impact in order to help reduce injury to the driver’s lower limbs.

We are very pleased to announce the MSRP for the Subaru Impreza WRX STi will be $30,995. The vehicle will come with a choice of rally inspired gold painted wheels (DG 4JI) or silver painted wheels (HG 4JJ).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It looks like invoice is $29, 130 (including destination). http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html#prices

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hmm, this or evo
? How much for the evo? I think I'd take the sti personally
, regardless of price.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
whaaaaaaaaaaat, that is rediculously cheap for the amount of equipment you get. if that's the case, this very well may be the greatest bargain of a car EVAR.

wow. i hope to god this is for real. i will sell my left nut to get into one of those if they're that cheap

·
Registered
751 Posts
It could very well be true but dont think you're gonna drive one off the lot for MSRP, or even close to it for that matter

[ 04-18-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: blueSVT2911 ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
sti wins..sorry evo guys, the us evo is just sort of....not enough?

The sti, if at that price, will be awesome

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well,the STi in my hands?OH PUHLEEZE.I might as well just go down and surrender my license now.The EVO is no slouch and would probably be more attainable(ie less dealer gouging)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Originally posted by ivan-the-terrible:
STI WRX

EVO 8

IF I had the money I'd hit the STI no questions asked...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Both are still kinda ugly...though I like EVO more and more I see it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts